• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Hood Clearance

LA390

Reaction score
I have a 1974 Plymouth 'CUDA that I purchased recently. It has a tired 318 under the hood so I am planning to replace that motor with a recently built small block that has a Torker II intake, a Holley Street Avenger carb on top of a 1" spacer. I would like to know if that combination will fit under the factory 'Cuda hood. If so, I don't know what air cleaner would fit either. I took a few measurements; including the height of both intakes and it doesn't look good. However, sometimes you can't really tell until you try it out. So i would like to hear from anyone who has tried to use a torker II intake under a stock E-body hood.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I feel you will be fine with a drop base air cleaner & a filter top , what you have to weight out is weather the 1" spacer add more power than the loss of air cleaner area costs

LA390

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, Chryco Psycho. The 1" spacer only gave me about 4 more hp, according to the dyno. It is a recently built 318 stroker with a 4' crank so 390 cu. in. The reason why I was concerned is that the stock 318 2 barrel in the car now with the factory air cleaner leaves very little room between the top of the air cleaner and the underside of the hood. However, the 4 barrel is shorter than the factory 2 barrel. The Torker II intake is much higher though. I did have this combo (minus the 1" spacer) in an A body Demon and it fit just fine with a drop base air cleaner. E bodies seem lower and more streamlined so I wasn't sure.
Thanks for the help.

Dfr3604cuda

Reaction score
I have a Torker with a 1 inch spacer
I'm still using a Thermoquad
I have a Mopar air cleaner
I'm in Pittsburgh too... Finleyville
Stop over, you can take measurements off mine

LA390

Reaction score
Hi Dfr3604cuda,
Thanks for the reply. I would like to check it out and see your 'CUDA.
Finleyville isn't far from Greensburg.
Hopefully the covid thing will be over soon.
Matt

LA390

Reaction score
That would be great! Thanks.
I finally received my seat covers from Legendary on Wednesday. They had been on back order since Sept.

Dfr3604cuda

Reaction score
Sorry, been busy
I'll try to get out and get some pics tomorrow
You'll have to keep me up to date on the seat coverings, mine need done too but they're not so bad to justify the cost

LA390

Reaction score
OK.
My drivers seat has splits in a few of the seams so I will get them both redone so they match. I have an appointment to bring them to the upholstery shop on January 4th. Weimann's Interiors in Delmont did such a nice job on my Demon's seats so that is where I am taking the "Cuda seats.
I am still running the original 318 because lately I have been thinking of keeping the car original although I have already made some changes.
Looking forward to spring!

Dfr3604cuda

Reaction score
So... I laid a four foot level on the air cleaner.
I have just enough room between the level and the fender for a finger.
I plan on getting some duct seal, which is like play doh for electrical use, and wadding up a big ball to put on the air cleaner. Then close the hood to get an exact measurement.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

LA390

Reaction score
From the photos that you sent it looks like I should have plenty of room without the 1" spacer at least. My situation with hood clearance is very similar to yours. I have a hood insulation pad that is taking up a little space but it wouldn't be a problem to remove that.
I sure do appreciate your taking the time to to check that out for me.
Do you usually take your 'cuda to many local car events during the summer?

Dfr3604cuda

Reaction score
I have a Torker with a 1 inch spacer
I'm still using a Thermoquad
I have a Mopar air cleaner
I'm in Pittsburgh too... Finleyville
Stop over, you can take measurements off mine
FYI... the only reason for the 1 inch spacer is the Thermoquad. Without the spacer the secondaries won't open. They hit the manifold.

LA390

Reaction score
That's true because the Torker intake is for square bore carbs. I have a Holley and a spacer for that engine. But the 318 that is still in the car has a factory 340 intake and a Thermoquad now. It runs well and I like the Thermoquad. The weather is finally getting nice and I took my 'cuda for a short ride the other day. I noticed on "carcruises.com" that there will be a few places to go in April.

Dfr3604cuda

Reaction score
That's true because the Torker intake is for square bore carbs. I have a Holley and a spacer for that engine. But the 318 that is still in the car has a factory 340 intake and a Thermoquad now. It runs well and I like the Thermoquad. The weather is finally getting nice and I took my 'cuda for a short ride the other day. I noticed on "carcruises.com" that there will be a few places to go in April.

Mineral Beach starts in May

LA390

Reaction score
That will be nice. However, I sold my "CUDA last week.

Back