• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1972 challenger converted to 1970 ... VALUE HELP!!!

sixpactogo

Reaction score
I realize it would be a rare car in your neck of the woods. I'm not up to speed on values in Qatar, but in the end, it needs to be your decision. Can you afford it? Do you want it? How long do you plan on staying there? Do you have a garage to keep it in? This is an expensive hobby that has a lot of enjoyment. You need to decide how much that enjoyment is worth. When you decide to leave and want to sell, you will have to realize you are not dealing with the everyday public that would have an interest in buying it. My guess is you get it for something less than the asking price.

BuckeyeCuda

Reaction score
I would pay in the $20-22k range. Hard to get your money back for more than that. If it would be a driver that you plan to keep, than whatever you think the long-term fun-quotient would be...

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
My opinion, if they are asking 45K in Qatar and it has not sold yet, don't pay that much. When you need to sell it due to you leaving you want to have a price on it that will sell quickly.
So my value opinion is 32K. Sell it for that much or up to 35K and hopefully it will sell quickly. Reselling it is the main consideration when living in another country. When you have to leave, you have to go. And storing a car in another country will only lead to a bad situation. Offer low. Make sure it's below what you can sell it for.
The other one you were looking at was 28K. Is it still for sale? If so, then the value there is below that. So that car might only be worth 22-25K there. Resale is the key here!

NixDad

Reaction score
I'm in agreement with the basic comments provided already.
In the end, it is a 'custom' '72 Challenger. Value of a 72 core, plus some of the goodies...Maybe $35k for me just to have an enjoyable driver and show car.
However, you are in Qatar, for God's sake. How many cars of interest are available to you? What would it cost to ship something to you from somewhere else in the world. (presuming you are staying there) Then if you pass on this, you would need to locate and investigate a car somewhere else.
Are you interested just because it is there, or you really like it?
What other cars in that price range ($40 to $45k) are available in that corner of the world?
if it is a great running car, and was well assembled, given your location, maybe $40-$45 isn't so bad.

Drivun

Reaction score
I agree its a customized 72, so you should be thinking 72 values. Increase the offer for the mods you like and then decrease it for the ones you don't.

I understand challenge of valuing a car in a foreign country since its impacted by the transport, duty and possibly legalization costs required. I've lived in three countries outside of the US and purchased modified US cars in Australia, UK and Canada.

You aren't going to get far offering US prices. They want local prices unless they are desperate. A local would understand and pay to offset the above charges. They'd adjust for the rarity/desirability of the car in Qatar and the cost of repair parts/labor in Qatar.

To get the local "multiplier" I suggest you look at other easy to comapre classic American cars - possibly unmodified - and see how the Quatar asking price "upcharge" compares to US pricing . In the mid 90's I paid 5800 pounds UK (US$7000) in London for a 67 390 GT Mustang. At the time that car in the US car would have been about $5500. That would only be 4500 pounds UK. But I didn't overpay because at the time the general market was $1 in US cost you $1.50 pounds sterling. It was true of classic cars, Ray Bans and Levis - anything imported from the US. The variance reflected transport, duty, sales tax and generally the higher costs of living in the UK.

The good news is I've had it 30 yrs so its worth a whole lot more including the $600 dollar bill I paid to ship it to NY in the late 90s.

Depending how long you are in Qatar and the transport costs to repatriate the car, it might make more sense to just buy a nice one when you come home at a cheaper cost. Or buy and drive it there, but give yourself adequate time to sell it before you go home. Thats why I didnt keep the Australian car.

Cojohnso

Reaction score
Pre Corona? About $30k. Post Corona? No more than 6 cases of TP?

GladHe8Her

Reaction score
hey guys ,there's a challenger down here which is a 1972 car but has been converted to a 1970 challenger. all professional work . 440 6 pack engine , serpentine belt drive , 4 speed manual ,PS , PB the lot . cars in very good condition .... how much do you think its worth guys?

View attachment 69096

View attachment 69097
You are in the $25-30K range in my opinion

FB90762A-D1CC-48B0-9A58-447966A4FF2E.jpeg

Tim Lynch

Reaction score
i get your point guys but this not being my country , i will have to leave at some point and will have to sell her .

Just want to get an idea how much would anyone here offer for the car if they were in my shoes
From my expert I purchased a 1970 Challenger convertible was a 318 car turned into a 340 six pack rally hood and exhaust and dash . New paint a good good ten footer , $45k price but $40k was more of the value !

volunteer

Reaction score
As the saying goes - - (in much of North America) - you cannot 'swing a dead cat' without hitting a '70 or '71 Challenger. Go to www.cars-on-line.com and see what is there. Of course the prices for these two years are higher than prices for '72,3,4's. But, please do not compare a ('70 -'71) U or V-code to a ('72-'73) H-code car. Instead, compare H to H. Never minding the 'bumperettes', only significant superiorities of the early 'H' would be the higher compression ratio, the 2.02" intake valves and, the better exhaust manifolds (even for '70 over '71). The '71 thru '74 models had the better intake system with the T.Q. carbs - factory rated at 800cfm. The '70 (H-code/340) had the 625 cfm AVS. Differences in crankshaft metallurgy not an issue. It is not expensive or difficult to duplicate the '70 - '71 specs. onto the later engines.
Doing what was done to the Challenger in Qatar would be quite expensive, kind of a 'one of one' model. As stated before, it's value is whatever that one special person is willing to pay. Someone must have had a good supply of '70 parts. I would like to see what (if anything) was done to the rear of this car. No easy feat to convert to '70 style. Also, would guess this car is original 'G' code.

Joseph paul

Reaction score
As the saying goes - - (in much of North America) - you cannot 'swing a dead cat' without hitting a '70 or '71 Challenger. Go to www.cars-on-line.com and see what is there. Of course the prices for these two years are higher than prices for '72,3,4's. But, please do not compare a ('70 -'71) U or V-code to a ('72-'73) H-code car. Instead, compare H to H. Never minding the 'bumperettes', only significant superiorities of the early 'H' would be the higher compression ratio, the 2.02" intake valves and, the better exhaust manifolds (even for '70 over '71). The '71 thru '74 models had the better intake system with the T.Q. carbs - factory rated at 800cfm. The '70 (H-code/340) had the 625 cfm AVS. Differences in crankshaft metallurgy not an issue. It is not expensive or difficult to duplicate the '70 - '71 specs. onto the later engines.
Doing what was done to the Challenger in Qatar would be quite expensive, kind of a 'one of one' model. As stated before, it's value is whatever that one special person is willing to pay. Someone must have had a good supply of '70 parts. I would like to see what (if anything) was done to the rear of this car. No easy feat to convert to '70 style. Also, would guess this car is original 'G' code.

heres a pic of the rear , what do you guys think? and yes its was a 318 car

Screenshot_20200320-094104_WhatsApp.jpg

volunteer

Reaction score
Actually looks pretty good - albeit from a distance. Should be same bumper thru '72 as the '73 - '74 had the heavy steel inserts. Wondering if that black portion is painted. My '70 SE had the (rare, pricey) aluminum insert. Oh, and I also noticed the side markers - as '72 - '74 style - - as also used on K-cars and some pickups (front amber only I think)

BuckeyeCuda

Reaction score
The other variable is "How long are you going to be in Qatar, and then pro-rate how long you are going to have, and use the car." If you are leaving next year, then I would pass. If ten years from now, that puts the purchase in a new pro-rated, per-year equation. I would look at the time that you would have the car, how much you could expect to get in 5, 10, 15 or so years when you leave, and how it would pro-rate over the years. That is a better way to look at the purchase, as an investment (fun vs cost = money lost).

Joseph paul

Reaction score
The other variable is "How long are you going to be in Qatar, and then pro-rate how long you are going to have, and use the car." If you are leaving next year, then I would pass. If ten years from now, that puts the purchase in a new pro-rated, per-year equation. I would look at the time that you would have the car, how much you could expect to get in 5, 10, 15 or so years when you leave, and how it would pro-rate over the years. That is a better way to look at the purchase, as an investment (fun vs cost = money lost).

aye was thinking exactly the same thing , with the current situation not sure ill be down here for so putting the whole thing on hold

Back