• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

brackets near muffler on Cuda

John h

Reaction score
Hi All.
I'm in the process of installing a new 2.5" Jegs kit and the mufflers install next to the gas tank there are no resonators under the rear floor pans. I have a bracket on each side of the frame rail and the old exhaust was welded to that bracket and had a rubber hanger to the tail pipe. I attached a picture, not of my car but this pic shows the left hand side bracket in silver. what are these brackets for? I hope the owner of the picture does not get angry but it's a great pic of the bracket I'm talking about.

Thanks John
bracket.JPG

68bee

Reaction score
If your talking about the bracket bolted on the frame rail in front of the muffler shield that is angled down with the hole in it, that is to tie down the car for shipment from the factory to the dealer.

John h

Reaction score
Yep, that's the bracket I was asking about. Thank you.

rklein71

Reaction score
When I installed my Jegs kit on my 71 Barracuda, the tie down brackets were in the way. I had to remove them, no big deal. I also made homemade brackets to hold the rear of the muffler that attach to the frame rails. Rod

IMG_4629.JPG

gzig5

Reaction score
I've got a similar kit through Summit. @rklein71 does your car have the Cuda valance with the rectangular openings for the tips or the Barracuda one? Lining the rectangular mufflers up to work with the Cuda openings and tips is a challenge I have not overcome. After I got it, I figured out it was designed for the Barracuda valance. Do you happen to have a closer pic of your homemade bracket and how it ties into body? I'm at a disadvantage because all the OEM stuff is gone and my trunk floor is currently homemade.

rklein71

Reaction score
Here is a picture of my bracket. I used the bracket provided by JEGs and added a small plate to strengthen the bracket and also used a plate on the backside of the frame rail to act as a big washer. It might have been overkill, but it is strong and works well.

IMG_5045.JPG

Back