• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A Body rear in an E Body

gzig5

Reaction score
Correct, the B body perches line up with no problems. The E body perches are 46 inches apart, and the B body is 44 inches. So, the offset is only 1 inch per side. Also, Cass from Doctor Diff told me that the pinion angle is different on the B verses the E, and I could use the top lowering hole to correct it, or use the angle wedge that he sells if I wanted to keep the stock height. The only thing I have to figure out is the rear shocks will not be standard length. Since the shock plates are moved in, and now lowered, it would bottom the shocks out quickly. It should be a simple measurement though. Here is a link to the kit I used.

Mopar '70-'74 E-Body Spring Relocation Kit Offset Hangers/Shackles

That is good to know about the pinion angle. Wasn't aware. I have a 66 B body waiting to get cleaned up and go in with the Dr Diff kit.

fasjac

Reaction score
I guess in the end it comes down to how much tire you want back there....
5813B43C-EBD5-4766-83CB-0D9441F54282.jpeg

Not mine but, like that look.

DrEamer

Reaction score
While I was working on the car today, I noticed what may be an issue with trying to use an A body housing. The U bolts are fairly close to the stepped up part of the housing close to the end. With the A body being another inch in, it would be close. I took a picture while I was there. Just one more thing to consider.

20200329_134308.jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
perches need to be done anyway. so I wonder if between that and maybe the off set set-up may work without changing the rear frame mount??
What is the offset of the wheel in the pic? It looks like from the rear, you could get closer to the leaf spring. May be the angle of the pic. The guys at Time Machines put the B body housing in the green cuda. This car car had a pretty big tire on it. Not even close to rubbing anything. This car didn’t have leafs though, but also no tubs.
View attachment 69693

View attachment 69694

6EB9D189-3186-474B-8FA8-01A6A201D0BB.png

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
I don't see where anyone covered this but the Good 8 3/4 A body diffs up to 72 were 4" bolt pattern , after 72 you only had the 8 1/4 diff with 4.5" bolt pattern
I would look for a B body diff

fasjac

Reaction score
I don't see where anyone covered this but the Good 8 3/4 A body diffs up to 72 were 4" bolt pattern , after 72 you only had the 8 1/4 diff with 4.5" bolt pattern
I would look for a B body diff
I do know the green 70 cuda had 5 on 4.5 but it also had different axles as well. Good point Chryco

Cratos

Reaction score
The housing I can get, needs axles anyway so no big deal there,
could you weld the pad on the axles on both the hi and low area( notching the outboard side?

gzig5

Reaction score
The problem is that the outside u-bolt won't fit over the step. If that pad only needs to move 1/2" out, you might just squeak it in without the u-bolt interfering, but you need to measure first.

Back