• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cost of replating bumpers

douglas17

Reaction score
Has anyone had bumpers plated lately, just wondering if its really worth it.
Maybe someone who has purchased reproductions could offer an opinion on the quality compared to originals. Just putting it out there.
Tks for now.

Adam

Reaction score
It is definitely worth it if your original is in good shape. The reproduction bumpers all seem to be too thin, or a little wavy, imo. Also, you could prep and paint the bumper, instead of chrome.

moparleo

Reaction score
High quality plating is expensive but if you have a show car it will be much better than a stock bumper. Chrome plating is not done at many places in the US anymore because of EPA regulations. AMD bumpers are pretty good though for a non high dollar resto.

mogenss

Reaction score
I have bought two sets of repos and sold both again and have replated originals. I will not touch repos.
Call Jon at custom chrome plating, 3 price levels, on time and on price.

Tell him that Moe send you

https://www.customchromeplating.com/

NixDad

Reaction score
I've used Northstar in Minnesota, which was bought by Keystone Automotive. I feel Northstar does a nice job, but navigating through the huge Keystone Conglomerate can be less personal.
A set of Challenger bumpers, with 4 bumper guards is going to be close to $1300 i think. Condition of core is a factor.

michael

Reaction score
Over 10 years ago Southern bumper exchange in Atlanta rechromed my two bumpers for $350.00 each. The rear one was bent ..same price they still look great.

Rand

Reaction score
Maybe someone who has purchased reproductions could offer an opinion on the quality compared to originals. Just putting it out there.
Tks for now.
I had my 71 cuda plated with northstar as well, they did nice job for $1300, about a 4 month turnover

chargerdon

Reaction score
Ive used Tennessee plating... in the past...but last year when i contacted them they said a rechromed rear bumper would run around $650 and about the same for a front. At that price the repos are fine. I got my front from Goodmark ($192 plus shipping) via Rock Auto and the other, thru Ebay vendor... for rear at i believe was $242 with free shipping.

Ive read reviews claiming the chrome quality was poor, but the ones i got were fine. Ive also seen very poor rechromed ones with the chrome flaking off !! There are many other places i could spend the $1,000 saving on with my car.

SCHU

Reaction score
Tks for now.
I have seen the waves in several repros, some are better than others. Since you are from Nova Scotia Canada, if you have a show car, I recommend Cambridge Custom Chrome, located here in ON Canada. IMO only excellent show quality work for a fair price.
BTW, if needed, I have a nice southern 70 cuda rear bumper needs rechroming , left over from my restorations.

seneca

Reaction score
5 years ago I had my 72 Cuda bumpers replated. Had two choices, standard chrome ( about $1200) or show chrome ( $1500 ). Went with the show chrome.

Adam

Reaction score
Kinda long, sorry. I had original Cuda bumpers replated many years ago. I was living north of Los Angeles; Ca is crazy on the environmental rules, so the plating shop actually shipped the bumpers to Mexico. The guy also asked me about regular chrome or show chrome. I asked what the difference was and he told me the show chrome is copper plated first. (Years before I had some headers nickel plated by another shop. When I picked them up the guy explained that it took longer because the nickel won’t stick to bare steel, and they had to copper plate it first, no extra charge!) so I figured this “show chrome” was BS and they had to copper plate them anyway. I choose regular chrome and they were beautiful! Maybe someone here worked in the industry and knows if the “show chrome” is a scam...

According to this article bare steel is copper plated, then nickel plated, then chrome plated. Lots of manual labor, care, and skill needed.... no wonder it costs so much.

We explain the chrome plating process in 14 steps | MyAutomotive

Last edited:

mogenss

Reaction score
I bought some cheap chrome parts and they started rusting after a few month, I asked an old time chrome guy how the chrome could be so bad.

What he told me is that the cheap chrome is chromed on a line above the "real" chrome line and the cheapest parts actually do not get submerged into the chrome baths at all. They are chromed by the vapors coming off the tanks and baths.

I am not saying the supplier X or Y does what ever, just want to share this info.

chargerdon

Reaction score
ive had my Goodmark front bumper on car for 4 years now, and they still look very good !

Back