• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

BF Goodrich browning

fasjac

Reaction score
And maybe bleach white. Let it set for a few minutes, just don’t leave it on your wheels. It’s harsh

hofilbert

Reaction score
I was going to say "Doesn't anyone use Westley's Bleach white?" I have had BFGs on all my cars since the 1980's. I usually bring my car out in the spring, spray on the bleach white, let sit and brush scrub the white. Immediately wash it off and I'm done for the year. I'll put on tire shine spray if I'm going to a show, which incidentally here's a hint, spray it on the night before the show and you won't have to wipe your tires. Most all of the excess "tire shine" gets absorbed or evaporates. The tires are perfect looking.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was able to file a claim w/BFG and they took 40% off a new pair of T/A's because of the browning that effects the lettering.... I used everything from brake cleaner to sand paper to Mr Clean pads and they would a vanilla-ish white but that's about it...then they just get darker from there. View attachment 62838
The 255/60-15's on the rear of my Swinger do that and the fronts never did. I contacted BFG and they suggested I contact a local dealer to get them adjusted. They know there is an issue.
Try carb spray or brake clean. It helps but the discoloration will come back. I have tried absolutely everything else. Acetone works pretty good as well but it's not a permanent fix. Like I said, the rears did it and the fronts never did. It's a defect in the tire.

786005-72528459ab08eeecda52e418ba754250.jpg

i_taz

Reaction score
As far as the yellowing letters has anybody tried a Mr. Clean magic eraser?? These things are magic...I have set of these tires on the Duster and the letters look yellowish...I'm gonna try the magic eraser....

Yes but doesn't work... It comes from inside...it's a Michelin thing. I see F250's w OWL Michelin's and there just as bad but my neighbor has 25 yr old T/A's that were
obviously made differently back then also thr Goodrich tires but like the Jetzon's above there as white as snow. These new ones are already not 'white' but too early to tell if I'll have the same problem til I scrub them....

i_taz

Reaction score
And maybe bleach white. Let it set for a few minutes, just don’t leave it on your wheels. It’s harsh

Bleache White made by Westley's many moons ago, 20+ yrs would actually dissolve the white wall on a tire causing a white wash as you scrubbed the tires and left them nothing short of being pure white but today's bleache white is nothing more than 409 or Simple Green which maybe good at cleaning hard surfaces. More than likely there was something in the old stuff the EPA frowns on today or since the advent of prominently black wall tires it's was too expensive to sell at a profit but their still trying to cash in on the name...but even if the old stuff was still around the tire formulation Michelin is using is the real problem

i_taz

Reaction score
The 255/60-15's on the rear of my Swinger do that and the fronts never did. I contacted BFG and they suggested I contact a local dealer to get them adjusted. They know there is an issue.
Try carb spray or brake clean. It helps but the discoloration will come back. I have tried absolutely everything else. Acetone works pretty good as well but it's not a permanent fix. Like I said, the rears did it and the fronts never did. It's a defect in the tire.

View attachment 67324

I never got mine that white. The tire dealer had a can of some kind of thinner he used and that was the best they looked but still weren't white...

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I have Good Year Eagle's on my 70' Charger on my Rallye wheels and they turn brown also. I have used everything as mentioned on them. It does help make them a little whiter but they eventually brown again.

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
I wonder how new the BFG’s are on new members (Qtti) car are? Check em out. They look great

i_taz

Reaction score
It's hit or miss.... Seemed to be certain sizes especially the 255/60-15 were most notable but although my front 235/60-15 are perfect you'll find references to them too... The 1st and last set I had until now were on a '97 Ram van and they were ok... Come to think of it they were all 255's but they would've had to have been 70's... Looking at both tires now the 5 yr old front's are white and the 5 month old rear's aren't looking so great...

i_taz

Reaction score
I have Good Year Eagle's on my 70' Charger on my Rallye wheels and they turn brown also. I have used everything as mentioned on them. It does it a little whiter but they eventually brown again.

I had a set of them...do you remember if you tried Westley's back then? It would've still been the original formula thru the 80's I would guess

bc3j

Reaction score
My BFGs are a few years old. I experimented with various methods to combat browning. I found at the start of the car show season I used Mother’s tire foam then after each outing I used brake cleaner on a microfiber cloth and wipe the rwl and the sidewall. Few minutes work and the tires look ok with no browning for the cruising season. The tires have been sitting since last October.

C2C27243-F2D8-4BF4-BE18-501DFB37ADDA.jpeg

i_taz

Reaction score
That's as good as mine ever got but u hav to compare them to good tire to notice the vanilla look... read the reviews below, I'm not optimistic

Radial T/A®

Big AL

Reaction score
So your saying T/A's are also for 'looks only' too...??? Maybe they know were not going to actually drive these cars...? I'm not being smart just frustrated... No more Uniroyal per say, no more BFG per say, no more Kelly per say, no more General per say, Remington, Jetson, Lee, JC Penny and on and on...but we have Hankook, Falcon, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Nitto, Kuhmo and on and on. The only other RWL I know of are Cooper Cobra or M/T Sportsman, Why you would name a passenger tire 'sportsman' I'll never know....how about 'Radial M/T' or M/T Competition...? BTW...My old tires were made in TN, new tires Mexico...

These tires convinced me make a move...23 yr old Jetson that are as white as a baby's bottom...zoom in on those....they look brand new from an inch away. I know, I know they could blow at any minute but I doubt it...
View attachment 62897
I think the Mickey Thompson's Sportsman S/T look good and the lettering stay white.

1970-dodge-challenger-rt.jpg Sportsman tires.jpg

i_taz

Reaction score
May have to... I had a set of RWL M/T's on a pickup and they were great...I was impressed but of course when it was time to replace them the model was discontinued...so I ended up w/ OWL Firestone Destination AT which were a great tire, btw...The shop I bought them off of at the time, happened to mention the name of the company, an independent outfit in Michigan I believe, who made both them and Cepek but I forgot and can't seem to find anything about who it might have been. The name Devon sticks in my head not that it matters anymore since Cooper owns them both now...

i_taz

Reaction score
Here's the real deal.... A set of BFG's from the 80's w/80's air in them too...!
Haven't been on the road in almost 20 yrs and are still....well, picture sez it all....

0308201559[1].jpg

fasjac

Reaction score
Lol, I’ve seen it too. The Westley’s bleach white, and an sos pad is about as good as it will come back. If at all.
I miss the Goodyear eagle st’s. Running the same tires on ralleys and on US alloys. Still have some eagles ( for some reason) just way too old to run.

Adam

Reaction score
The Goodyear "Polyglas" are going to be repro tires that are bias ply. For looks only. ANY tire over 5-6 years old should be replaced even if it has No miles on it. Tires are made from a combination of many, many different ingredients and then Vulcanized, (baked like a cake) to cure or cook the mixture. Deterioration starts as soon as they leave the mold. Just like the way a cake would go bad after take it out of the frige. The original "T/A" radial has not been manufactured since Michelin bought BFG decades ago. They also bought Uniroyal tire co. The original T/a tire was made entirely of rayon. A 2 ply carcass and 4 folded Rayon belts, equaling 6 plies under the tread. The current T/A uses the original mold but uses the old steel belted Uniroyal "green tire" ( the tires name before it is baked in the mold). That is why the current T/A does not balance or handle/ride like they did back in the early seventies. I was there and sold hundreds of them, when I sold actual BF Goodrich, Uniroyal and Michelin tires when they were all separate tire companies.
Good info Leo!

Rons340

Reaction score
does anyone know anything about the Micky Thompson RWL Sportsman S/Ttires?

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Got the new tires and was warned that they may not match lettering wise and looks like that's the case. As mentioned before new tires made in different plant... There ever so slightly larger...seem to measure the same down to the millimeter but somethings just not right... 2nd pic are new 2019 tires
Yes, definitely a difference. Subtle, but obvious.
Every letter is off.
1616548263750.png

DaveH

Reaction score
I have the Mickey Thompson tires on my Challenger and had the same browning after a couple of years. Ended up using 600 grit wet sandpaper and it cleaned them up just fine.