• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Resto Choice dilemma

Which one should I pick?

• 1968 charger R/T

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 1970 charger

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1970 Challenger T/A

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • 1970 Chalenger R/T

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

spoolinhard

Reaction score
This is on the b body site as well

I have a dilemma on my hands. I do autobody/metal/mechanical work. I have been working on projects that wouldn't be my first choice to work on for a very long time. Ive about got my plate clean from obligations and I badly want a classic to drive and enjoy. I have newer vehicles that I can enjoy at the moment, but my classics are garage/yard ornaments. I own the following vehicles. They are all cool cars, but they each present their issues. I don't necessarily know that I will restore them all, but right now it is wonderful having options and they don't eat or cost anything to keep. Also, choices 1 and 3 will be FULLY restored. If I do anything with options 2 and 4, it will be partial resto to driving. Im pretty sure I know where I need to go with this, but thought it would be fun to get input.

Vehicles:

1.1968 Charger R/T. I recently bought this car. It is in California. Its fairly solid. The previous owner has been ordered to shelter in place. The car needs to be dug out and I have no idea when I am going to see it. This is my first choice. I am a charger guy. On top of not knowing when I will see it, it needs a title. Therefore I would have to apply for a bonded title. That takes time. My first choice is not a logical one. (Disclaimer I have contacted local law enforcement and had the VIN run before purchase; it checks out).

2. 1970 Charger. Originally 383-4 auto. I have owned this car for about a year. I have a ton of parts for this car. The car needs a ton of work. The title that I got with it was an old title that was dealer reassigned and the people I got the car from title jumped. The DMV confiscated the title when I tried to put it in my name. (The VIN is clean, but the physical title was a mess that apparently couldn't be rectified). I am currently going through the process of getting a bonded title. I don't think I will have a title by the time I am free to work on a project car, which is soon.

3.1970 Challenger T/A. Ive owned this car for a long time. I have never had a title. I started working on this car when I was younger and then stopped quite some time ago. Most of the metal work is done. It is the candidate that would take the least time. I am not putting another ounce of sweat or dollar into this car until I get a title. I am about to start the bonded process with this car to be done with it. Same problem as above charger.

4. 1970 Challenger R/T. This is a cool car with cool options. It is no 2nd gen charger and it is no Challenger T/A. It is rough but very restorable. This car would be my last choice. But here is the kicker..... It has a clear title in my name, making it the only viable option if I wanted to start tomorrow.

Wonder Woman

Reaction score
Sell them all as is. And buy a car that runs with a clean title.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
Sell them all as is. And buy a car that runs with a clean title.
I actually came super close to doing this about a month back. The car that I wanted sold before I could get the time off work to go get it. I will not restore all these cars. I will eventually sell what I do not restore.

440rush

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with whatever you decide. Very tough choice.

ldr

Reaction score
be prepared to take a really big hit anything without a title ,as you stated its a pain and nobody wants to deal with that .part'm out and move on or do the paper work to get clear title. state issued vin is just as bad as not having one.

terrywalker

Reaction score
I went through this title headache with a Bronco II we sold in early September last year. There were 2 titles issued, one in Washington state when we bought the vehicle in June 1995 and another issued in the state of Oregon 3 weeks later. It took us until from September until February to get the title mess straightened out. Never again. We had title. I can't imagine if there had been no title.
Terry

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
If I owned them my first choice would be the T/A , but I already own a Challenger R/T !
Logically the E bodys are typically more valuable but this may not matter to you , so having a title I would work on the Challenger R/T , you can start tomorrow !
The last factor would be 4 spd , I walk right past anything with Auto trans so I would do a 4spd car first , far more fun to drive IMO

moparleo

Reaction score
The only thing that makes sense is to get the paperwork cleaned up with a good, legal title in your hands before you do ANY work or $$ on #1,2 or 3 . anything else is Russian Roulette . But I think you knew that.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
be prepared to take a really big hit anything without a title ,as you stated its a pain and nobody wants to deal with that .part'm out and move on or do the paper work to get clear title. state issued vin is just as bad as not having one.

Selling without a title is not on option for me. I don't mind sitting on them until they are straightened out.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
If I owned them my first choice would be the T/A , but I already own a Challenger R/T !
Logically the E bodys are typically more valuable but this may not matter to you , so having a title I would work on the Challenger R/T , you can start tomorrow !
The last factor would be 4 spd , I walk right past anything with Auto trans so I would do a 4spd car first , far more fun to drive IMO

The TA is the only factory 4 spd car. I have an 18 spline and Dana for the 68 RT. Nothing is numbers matching, so I will build accordingly.

spoolinhard

Reaction score
I'm surprised the RT challenger has more votes than the TA. They are much easier to come by.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Can’t you just enlist the aid of a friend in a different state where it’s not hard to get a title and then transfer it to you? I’d start with the ‘68. Those cars make my knees weak.:lol:

spoolinhard

Reaction score
Can’t you just enlist the aid of a friend in a different state where it’s not hard to get a title and then transfer it to you? I’d start with the ‘68. Those cars make my knees weak.:lol:
That is an option that would be the easiest, problem is that I don't know of anyone that lives in the states that have laxed titling policies. Then it has to be a trustworthy person.

CMC

Reaction score
so what are some of the good states to get title in?

ctaarman

Reaction score
I cast my vote for the 68 Charger, even though it is irrational. I already own a restored AAR 'cuda so the T/A should be the logical vot, but my fantasy would be to restore the Charger in triple black, and also buy a 68 Mustang fastback, paint it forest green, and go to car shows as the Bullitt pair.

Geo

Reaction score
I refuse to sink any money into a car until I have a clear title for it in my name. I'd work on straightening out the titles before starting on any one car

spoolinhard

Reaction score
Update and decision made:

I sold the 70 charger to a very happy new owner. I got tired of playing around with the IA title bonding process and sold it without one.

I now have titles to both the 70 TA and the 68 RT, thanks to a kind and helpful member of the B body forum who assisted me in getting them.

I have had the TA the longest and it's the closest to being done, so I am going to finish it. The engine is at the machine shop and I will tear into it when I get it back.

The 68 RT I am currently working with a shipper to get it to IA.

Back