• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Anyone used M E Wagoner adjustable PVC vale

fasjac

Reaction score
Just found it today online as I was searching for a 70 OE type PCV valve for my 500 stroker six pack. I currently use a 5 buck valve but, just thought about replacing it as time to do some fine tuning and have plenty of time. Couldn’t readily find on OE 3 rib style that I think it takes, not sure though. After reading and watching their video, sounds legit??? I’ve never spent 100+
On a pcv valve but, liked what I saw.
Your opinions would be appreciated when you have time.
Thank you

Adam

Reaction score
Interesting concept, I guess it makes sense to tailor the pcv valve to the engine vacuum; but before spending $100 my cheap ass would try one from a slant six, Omni, Pinto, etc.... jk

fasjac

Reaction score
Lol! Hey, money is gonna get real tight before it loosen up. It’s a damn shame but, I’m afraid it’s real.
Yea, it’s interesting, I’ll give it some time. Thank you for the input.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
For a bit less you should be able to put a nylon restriction into the hose & drill it to different diameters , just time wasted not $$s

LA390

Reaction score
I recently bought one. Have not tried it yet but they say they are good for stroker motors since they can be tuned separately for idle and under load.

Steve340

Reaction score
I have one on my 340 engine and it is a very well made piece. After initial tuning it appears to be working very well. I liked the fact also that you can set the valve at idle and cruise.
I have restricted the stock valves on quite a few engines and that also seems to work OK.
The modern piston rings seal so well and with the Comp Cams 110 degree lobe centre cams I use the stock PCV valves all seem to allow too much vacuum in the engine.

fasjac

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the feed back!
Much appreciated.

fasjac

Reaction score
I have one on my 340 engine and it is a very well made piece. After initial tuning it appears to be working very well. I liked the fact also that you can set the valve at idle and cruise.
I have restricted the stock valves on quite a few engines and that also seems to work OK.
The modern piston rings seal so well and with the Comp Cams 110 degree lobe centre cams I use the stock PCV valves all seem to allow too much vacuum in the engine.
Can you school me on allowing too much vac, I’m running a comp cam extreme in this stroker. Currently makes 12-13” of vac. I’m learning everyday.
Thanks for your feedback.

Steve340

Reaction score
The vacuum I was meaning is the vacuum generated in the crankcase not the inlet manifold vacuum.
I will try to explain please ask for clarification if I do not explain it right.
This is the basic principal.
Imagine the PCV valve is a 2mm hole that controls the amount of vacuum that can build up in the crankcase. If you drilled this hole out to 6mm this would allow to much vacuum in the crankcase which can hoover the oil from where it should be in the engine and suck it through the PCV system in to the inlet manifold. This can cause oil consumption. It can also cause the engine to run lean at idle or because it can get extra air from the PCV valve it can have a high idle speed due to the air leak. I did one engine that idled about 1100 rpm with the throttle blades completely closed and we had the restrict the PCV system before we could control idle speed.
Do you have a large scale vacuum gauge and know how to measure the vacuum in the crankcase?

fasjac

Reaction score
I understand what your explaining. I’ve always hooked the vacuum gauge from the port on the back of the six pack manifold. That’s where I’m getting 12-13” of vac on my gauge. That’s the the only way I have ever measured it and tuned by. I don’t know what the large scale is or how to measure that.

5F26274F-DDCE-4D62-A4BE-3E95D1362884.jpeg

fasjac

Reaction score
And yes, if I remove the hose from the PCV the idle increases.

Steve340

Reaction score
OK that gauge is fine I just meant a large well graduated gauge that you can see easily and that will allow you to see a small reading.
The crankcase vacuum at idle will only be 1 or 2 inches of mercury symbol (in Hg) on your gauge.
Here is an article I found that will tell you all you need to know and how to do the test.
It is a well written article and explains all far better than I can.
Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV)

fasjac

Reaction score
Oh got it. Thank you Steve. I will check out the article.

Steve340

Reaction score
One thing I forgot to mention it can take a minute or two for the vacuum to build up in the crankcase. Especially if you have leaks as mentioned in the article.
If you have leaks just make sure you have some suck on the valve and this rpm drop test is mentioned in the article.
Ideally the vacuum should rise to 4 or 5 in Hg when you build the revs up.
It can stay about the same but you would not want it to go high or really low when at say 2500rpm.

fasjac

Reaction score
Good read Steve, I’m gonna get the valve. I really like the adjustability and also like the billet. Looks like a well made piece.
Thanks again for sharing your experience with this. Much appreciated.

fasjac

Reaction score
I recently bought one. Have not tried it yet but they say they are good for stroker motors since they can be tuned separately for idle and under load.
I’m going to order one. Will you give me an update of your experience with it when you have time? Thanks in advance.
fasjac

Back