• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

71 Cuda 340 dip stick tube

gf7cuda

Reaction score
Hello all, I am installing my dipstick tube on my 340 engine and it appears to be blocking the fuel pump and bolt on the inside. Does anybody know if the tube has to be bent a little? The dipstick is small strait NOS. Thanks in advance......

Rich G.

Reaction score
I just put it in and then bend it until it clears everything. Not a problem . I put the tube in the freezer for a day to make it a little easier to tap in.

Last edited:

gf7cuda

Reaction score
I just put it in and then bend it until it clears everything. Not a problem . I put the tube in the freezer for a day to make it a little easier to tap in.
Thank you Rich, The tube is directly in front of the pump & inner bolt. Do you bend it toward the engine block or away from timing cover to the side?

terrywalker

Reaction score
On my 71 challenger 340, its bent slightly back towards the head. I took a photo. This tube has never been removed.
Terry

20200312_172625.jpg

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Don't bend it too many times tho. They break off pretty easy and a pain to get out.

LA390

Reaction score
I just reinstalled mine yesterday and it was already bent since it was used before. The bend is a little higher up from the base. It is a very slight bend. It doesn't have much clearance from the fuel pump or timing chain cover.

terrywalker

Reaction score
You're welcome. The engine has never been removed from the car but I believe I removed the heads in the early 80s - I can't remember for sure - and the timing chain and sprockets were replaced. The dipstick tube was painted orange when I bought the car in 1972. Fuel pump was replaced.
Terry

gf7cuda

Reaction score
thank you all for the help guys! , installed and bent perfect for fuel pump install.

moparroy

Reaction score
Mine is a loose fit in the 360 block - it was loose from day 1 so I have had it removed while the engine sat. Ready to put it back in now - any suggestions on what to use to seal it and hold it in place? RTV? gasket sealer? Thread sealant? Anaerobic gasket gel?
I tried RTV once - did not seem to hold well but I did not give it a full 24 to set.

Back