• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Mystery Exhaust manifolds for Use 0n a 1970 383 Cuda

Ariovistus

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a friend who has a 1970 383 Plymouth Cuda. He has the correct High performance manifolds, but He found a set of Mopar Manifolds that have no casting Numbers. They are both center dump and they look like they will flow better than the original manifolds. Has anyone seen these and can they fit in an E-Body? He does not like headers, but would like to use a cast Iron Manifold that flows good. Appreciate Your assistance.

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4612.jpg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I haven’t seen any regular production Mopar part without a casting number on them so. If I had to guess and assuming they are cast iron?, I’d say they're truck and someone has ground them smooth. What makes you think they’d flow better than HP manifolds? What’s the inside diameter at the downpipe?

fasjac

Reaction score
Probably early 70’s motor home or truck aftermarket??? It does appear that someone tried to make them pretty at onetime.

Ariovistus

Reaction score
Thank You all for Your assistance. My friend is new to the Mopar/E Body world. He does not like headers. I heard about Accurate LTD. Do They make a better flowing exhaust than the Hp Manifolds? He had His motor rebuilt and the mechanic told Him He would lose 40 Horsepower if He did not run headers. Appreciate all of Your inputs.

Ariovistus

Reaction score
I haven’t seen any regular production Mopar part without a casting number on them so. If I had to guess and assuming they are cast iron?, I’d say they're truck and someone has ground them smooth. What makes you think they’d flow better than HP manifolds? What’s the inside diameter at the downpipe?

Hi DeMatt1, They are cast iron. He thinks because They look like a Ram's Horn that They would flow better. The inside diameter is only 2 inches at the downpipe. He used to run Chevys and is new to the Mopar/E Body world. Thank You for Your Input.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Hi DeMatt1, They are cast iron. He thinks because They look like a Ram's Horn that They would flow better. The inside diameter is only 2 inches at the downpipe. He used to run Chevys and is new to the Mopar/E Body world. Thank You for Your Input.
I would guess that those will not flow as good as stock HP manifolds. What’s been done to the engine?

Ariovistus

Reaction score
The Motor has stock 906 heads with New valves, Factory rocker arms and Pushrods, 9.6 compression forged Wiseco .030 pistons, a Comp Cams 227/241 @0.50 with 486 int/473 exh, New valve springs, Factory intake with a quick fuel 650 carb vacuum secondaries/Electric choke, Cloyes True roller double roller timing chain, ARP bolts, factory steel crank, and a Flowkooler water pump.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Unfortunately this is one of those circumstances where you can’t have your cake and eat it too.
The headers are going to give you better performance than any stock manifold. So imo he needs to abandon any thought of using incorrect cast manifolds because not only will it not look right but none will perform better than the factory HP ones designed for these cars or use headers.
The sad thing is that even with headers on a bad ass big block built to your friends specs you’ll still probably only barely keep up with today’s modern performance cars....I’d stick with the HP manifolds and enjoy the car for what it is.

Ariovistus

Reaction score
I am trying to talk him into some TTI Shorty headers. He also just unveiled a Gear Vendors Overdrive/Underdrive for a 3.55 Limited slip!Thank You for Your inputs.

Ariovistus

Reaction score
Don't let anyone discourage you....

i-Taz! Thanks for the Encouragement! My Friend feels Uplifted! I am amazed! I always like the Classics More than the New Muscle, although I respect it. I guess I am one of those Stuck in the 70's Guys! You Rock!!\m/ \m/

Back