• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Newbie Wiring Help!

Peter Fonda

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm a proud new owner of a '73 Cuda. Have been busy going through replacing all of the harnesses, front and rear lights were a breeze. Main dash harness seemingly went well, everything looked good, but need a few pointers below, any help would be appreciated! Glad to be part of the group! As a side note, I'm waiting on new Dakota Digital Rally gauges, I currently have most of the gauge wiring unplugged as I currently have a Non-Rallye setup.
  1. Turn signals worked before the harness swap, switched to LED bulbs, and also switched out both flashers. Have tried two different directional steering column sets, both do not work (one was the original) yet the ignition light and hazard lights work
  2. Put in a new retro stereo, wiring seems correct, but when the radio knob is off, the dash lights and console shifter indicator also don't turn on. When the stereo is on, they also turn on
  3. Put in a new under-dash A/C harness, can't figure out where these two connectors go? (blue and green)
  4. Coming off the brake light switch, where do this connector run to with two blue wires?
  5. horn works, but only when you put the key in the ignition, when you turn the key, horn stops working...
Thanks,

Peter

IMG_6284.jpeg

IMG_6289.jpeg

IMG_6283.jpeg

View attachment 71964

IMG_6291.jpeg

IMG_6292.jpeg

Last edited:

Peter Fonda

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I was able to track down the A/C lines (need to run to the bulkhead) and the brake light switch (connector for cruise control if I had it)

Anyone have any ideas for the turn signal, horn and radio wiring?

AUSTA

Reaction score
By the look of it the horn comes from the horn to the bulkhead disconnect on a Dark green with a red stripe pin 24 then to the positive output on the horn relay the black wire with strip from the column shorts to ground when the button is pressed .
You could use a relay if is not included positive to 1 contact & relay coil horn to other contact ,other side of relay coil wire to the steering column horn ground when pressed.

AUSTA

Reaction score
The lights have 2 x flasher cans 1 for the hazard 1 x the indicators black from the flicker can goes to positive then out of the flicker can & connects to Red D2 -18R up to the indicator switch

fasjac

Reaction score
I agree, tried LED in the front park/turn lamps in a C5 vette and bothe sides worked but, on turn signal just blinked way too fast. Like a bulb was out. Put regular bulbs in and it worked fine.

Peter Fonda

Reaction score
Ok, after a long day of tinkering, everything seems to be working. I had switch to the 11 wire turn signal switch, and the flasher near the ash tray wasn't working. I got fed up and swapped the side marker and tail light bulbs back to regular bulbs after having LEDs in, just glad everything is working!

Thanks for the suggestions

gs73rallye

Reaction score
LEDs are diodes. They have to have proper polarity. If they don't light, try turning them around.

Back