• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Electrical Gremlin

SFEbody

Reaction score
Ok Folks, need to assistance here in LA. As many of you know I have been working on my 70 Challenger for a while restoring it.

Now I notice that my left rear brake lights and blinker lights are not working. Only right side. Tail lights work fine. Dome light will not work either. and turn signals on left side flash really fast.

What I have done so far....
a) new OEM turn signal switch
b) New rear tail light harness and dome light harness
c) new grounds added to tail lights
d) new door dome light switches
e) new brake light switch

I am getting very frustrated as you can imagine that after working on the restoration so long I am still not able to just get in and drive. Any suggestions are very welcome. Brian

Adam

Reaction score
Try a different flasher. Do you have power at the bulb sockets, for the brake and signal lights? If not, start to trace it back. The rear body harness runs along the driver’s side; inspect it for damage. I believe you can disconnect it by the driver’s foot well, apply external voltage to each wire and see if the light works. If I remember correctly, the dome light switch wire is always hot, but only completes the circuit when the switch is in the open position, so start there.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
usually it is a ground problem , with fresh pant often the housing will not ground to the body , often there can be a problem in the bulb socket also . using a volt meter it is simple to test for power at the socket

SFEbody

Reaction score
Thanks guys, Chryco, I have added grounds to them so here I am ( freeking lost)
Today i changed both flasher relays. now when I turn on the lights, all lights go on as normal. Then, if I turn the key on, the left light blinks very very slow, the right side blinks normal. No brake lights still when I step on the pedal and now the hazard lights wont work with or without key on

AUSTA

Reaction score
Check the plug behind the drivers kickpanel
Also was the rear tail harness M & H i have used 3 that need to be checked before use
1. Wire lugs crimped onto the plastic not touching the conductor
2. wrong wiring brake & indicator reversed
3. passenger inner brake light was fitted with a single pin bulb holder instead of a offset dual pin caused some smoke
I would do what Adam suggested & try applying a voltage to each wire to check continuity & correct orientation
The Blue to the rear in the Fuel level wire so no need to apply voltage (Does your fuel level sensor work)
If 1 side of the brake lights work then the hazard switch should work maybe check the turn switch against an old switch for wiring
something is crossed over or shorted.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Hazards not working could just be a faulty flasher , slow blink is lack of load , are all bulbs lighting up ?
Start testing brake circuit for power , you should have power from the fuse block pink wire to the brake light switch then into the steering column white wire & then out in the green & brown wire to the tailights .

AUSTA

Reaction score
I would also check the stop lamp fuse is making contact as this is also for the dome light

SFEbody

Reaction score
Ok so update. Traced brake and turn wires from back to front and appears no wire separation or Breaks. Could it be possible that the brake light switch is bad I’m not sure which of the connections to get the pink wires? Should they be closest to the pedal or towards the rear of the switch. So I can see power all the way through.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Hey guys, been a couple weeks but i finally found what was causing my issue. Seems the left side brake light socket was defective. The positive wire was touching the socket itself. So each time I fired up the lights and hit the brakes, POOFFFF the fuse would blow.

SO I replaced the turn signal switch, brake light switch and kept my fingers crossed when I powered up... and i am good! Thanks to everyone for assisting along the way.

Back