• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Interesting find

allie2004

Reaction score
In the early 80s I use to scour the local wrecking yards for parts for my TA . During one of these trips I came across an RT/ SE that was a recent arrival to the yard . Needles to say I pounced on it! Removed all the cool parts , including the seats . Recently I looked underneath the seats and found the following tag wired to one of the bottoms . Thought I’d share.
CCI06252020.jpg
CCI06252020_0001.jpg
Looks like The LA plant might’ve gotten their seats via airfreight .

70chall440

Reaction score
Ive never heard that Mopar sourced the seats offshore, possible I guess. I'd believe sourcing the frames offshore

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
might have needed special seats for 1 car being built , I can't see them shipping all the seats that way

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Do you have any other info about the seats? Like what the vin was?
Can you post a picture of the other standard tags that are on the seat? That might help with a date that might correspond with these tags.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
And you probably don't have the fender tag from that car do you? That would help with a build date that might correspond with the tags above.
Seems really odd, if this was something that was done often by any means there would be more of these tags out there. And someone would have seen these before.

AUSTA

Reaction score
I have 1 of those tags somewhere found on a 70 challenger seat some time ago thought the seat may have needed warranty work was the same LAX will see if i can find it

AUSTA

Reaction score
Had a quick look i have about 80 files full of bits & pieces
It was in a dark green mettalic bucket i purchased for the core it also had the remains of a build sheet
I am sure i traced the flight & departure & arrival were within the borders it was also TW as i remember it had shut down
I think it was 1 components weighing 65 lbs

Attachments

• Metallic grren.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 187

AUSTA

Reaction score
In the early 80s I use to scour the local wrecking yards for parts for my TA . During one of these trips I came across an RT/ SE that was a recent arrival to the yard . Needles to say I pounced on it! Removed all the cool parts , including the seats . Recently I looked underneath the seats and found the following tag wired to one of the bottoms . Thought I’d share. View attachment 72543 View attachment 72544 Looks like The LA plant might’ve gotten their seats via airfreight .
Do you know what the finish was on the seat cloth inserts ??

allie2004

Reaction score
Ive never heard that Mopar sourced the seats offshore, possible I guess. I'd believe sourcing the frames offshore
might have needed special seats for 1 car being built , I can't see them shipping all the seats that way

The tag states 160 pcs. I'm thinking the seat was part of a shipment that contained other items. There is nothing special about it. White RT.

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
from a buddy on ebodies.org. makes sense.

it looks like, in September of '69 - a batch of 160 seat frames ( at 12# each + 320# container = 2240# ) were air freighted thru TWA to LAX for the LA plant

nothing indicates it was an international shipment

probably just some supplemental inventory that their regular supplier was delayed/shorted in error/couldn't make happen as required to keep the line moving

allie2004

Reaction score
And you probably don't have the fender tag from that car do you? That would help with a build date that might correspond with the tags above.
Seems really odd, if this was something that was done often by any means there would be more of these tags out there. And someone would have seen these before.

No fender tag . Had I seen it , I most surely would've skipped it. Bear in mind this was in the early 80s , I was in my late teens and the car was in a wrecking yard.
I removed all the parts that I needed as well as those I considered as cool and unique.... the time. Flip-top gas cap, Overhead console setup and interior panels were part of the haul . I'm pretty sure my cousin went back a few days later and removed some items as well. It was a RT/ SE car . FC7 / White : interior/ top / stripes. According to my cousin it had a 440.

Couple of years later we went back. The car was still there ...albeit totally gutted . The trunk was still attached . I also remember seeing the RT emblem on it

I gave the seats to my cousin recently .

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
I figured no fender tag. Wish I could have found even one cuda or challenger in a yard to have taken parts off of. Have yet to find one that I could salvage a fender tag from. I don't even see C bodies in yards. Mopars are hard to find. Pretty lucky of you to have been there back then. And the car was a 440 car as well! Pretty cool!

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
Well, don't throw out those tags. May not be valuable but they are super cool and a pretty cool part of the history of these cars. I'm sure it would have been worth it for chrysler to have the seat bottoms shipped so as to not slow down the production line.

AUSTA

Reaction score
My tag has the same SDF could that be Louisville That is the airport code

AUSTA

Reaction score
Was wrong about the quantity & weight was thinking of something else the old brain wanders sometimes
It looks like it says 12/42 it is 1442 103 item the flight number has the same first few numbers
Seat Tag1.jpg

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
@allie2004 Can you get a picture of the standard tag on the seat you gave to your cousin? I would like to know the date of the seat manufacture and the location of manufacture. Also, would really like to know this was a white leather seat as white was not an option for rt/se in early 70 as that was just not a color option.

Back