• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

lockout linkage

i_taz

Reaction score
Thought I had a stuck ignition switch for the second time but before I took apart the column again I noticed nothing attached to the lockout lever...
Seems like it's not that uncommon...???

Rich G.

Reaction score
Lockout is a PIA that’s why most people take it off. You just have to make sure the column stays turned all the way so you can take the key out.

i_taz

Reaction score
I believe it. When I saw all that's involved I figured even if I have to pop the hood I would just do that as often as it happens but now I know what to do... That explains why it 'fixed itself' the first time.....thnx

BriceRoad

Reaction score
I only learned about this last year. My car has a problem where the steering column won't lock but it does lock when taken out of the car. I was wondering if it had something to do with the lockout linkage? which is of course long gone on my Barracuda. The key has always come out easily so I never had that problem. It seems no matter what position I move the lockout to the key will come out but the steering wheel won't lock. Does anyone reproduce the lockout linkage as I would like it to be as original as possible.

Rich G.

Reaction score
I wonder if someone removed the lockout mechanism in the column too. It should lock when you remove the key.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
I don't think so because it does lock if the steering column is out of the car. When it is in the car you can feel it skipping over the thing that comes out to lock the column but it doesn't lock. It's very strange.

i_taz

Reaction score
Just to clarify, since I forgot to mention when it got stuck it was in the 'run' position.
I couldn't turn it the rest of the way to 'off' to remove the key at which point the steering wheel will lock so that mechanism seems to be ignition related...

Repo parts are available some with multiple rods and levers but haven't come across a complete kit. It's a pretty convoluted setup... aka 'PIA'

Last edited:

challenger6pak

Reaction score
It was very common to toss the 70 column for a 71 up unit when the Ebodies were daily drivers.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
That is an interesting idea. I will look for one at Carlisle. Thanks.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
Pretty cool. I didn’t think it would cost that much. I would consider it but my car is a 4 Speed.

Back