• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Quantity of paint needed for Challenger

Doc Corey

Reaction score
I'd like to ask anyone who knows the amount of mixed paint to I need to do the top to bottom and interior spray on my 71 Challenger. Just restored, in primer, all new floors and practically everything el$e. I am using acrylic enamel, most likely in slime green. Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Probably no help but mine took 5 qts & I did not do under the floor , I left it in epoxy primer like the factory , I also used base clear so the 5 qts was just the base color .
I would look at Sassy over Sublime , , Sassy is a richer color IMO

Doc Corey

Reaction score
Probably no help but mine took 5 qts & I did not do under the floor , I left it in epoxy primer like the factory , I also used base clear so the 5 qts was just the base color .
I would look at Sassy over Sublime , , Sassy is a richer color IMO
I thought they were painted underneath (mine was painted rust rot red)...I'll check into that Sassy color. Thanks

Rich G.

Reaction score
I always get 2 gallons which is more then I need, mix them all together and then I have extra paint just in case something happens down the road. Better to have to much then not enough.

AUSTA

Reaction score
Same 2 Gallons Base complete car engine bay & trunk with R/T hood hood is done both sides
4 coats base coat & 1 extra light drop coat just over a pint of unmixed base left for repairs

Danny Boy

Reaction score
4 coats base coat & 1 extra light drop coat just over a pint of unmixed base left for repairs

Does your formula of 4 coats base coat also apply to factory metalflake finishes?
Thanks much!

70chall440

Reaction score
2 gallons should do it unless it is a translucent color like sublime; then you might need a little more should you have problems. I ended up buying 3 gallons for my Cuda; mainly because I had to reshoot it after a small incident in the shop.

Rich G.

Reaction score
I’d suggest a quart of primer sealer to do the outside of the car.

Marty.

Reaction score
2 gallons should do it unless it is a translucent color like sublime; then you might need a little more should you have problems. I ended up buying 3 gallons for my Cuda; mainly because I had to reshoot it after a small incident in the shop.

What was the mixing ratio for your basecoat?

Back