• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

About temporary joining of bodies during restoration.

RYO5566

Reaction score
Hello! We are currently restoring the body. I plan to replace all the outer panels as well, but I found something like this when temporarily fixing the panels. Is this something like a magnet? Please give me some advice! thank you for reading it until the very end!

20200716_195048.jpg

Rich G.

Reaction score
Those are called Clecos . You drill a 1/8 hole and there is a special pliers that takes them in and out. A must have when replacing panels on something so you can take it on and off and put it back in the exact place it was before.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I use short, self drilling pan head sheet metal screws used for putting metal studs together.

Rich Followell

Reaction score
Cleco's work great for some apps. but they lack strength. They are great for prefit panels with prefit holes especially on aircraft. But often when replacing body panel you find that they just don't fit. the panels have to be manipulated into position pulled, pushed, and drawn into place. I use a self tapping screw with a 5/16 hexhead. because they can draw parts together and prevent side slip. and find that Cleco's are inadequate when the amount of pressure applied is greater than they were designed to hold . Sometimes we used them in the shop but not very often. Also remember to weld both sides of the hole whenever possible.
20180906_143428.jpg

budascuda

Reaction score
Cleco's work great for some apps. but they lack strength. They are great for prefit panels with prefit holes especially on aircraft. But often when replacing body panel you find that they just don't fit. the panels have to be manipulated into position pulled, pushed, and drawn into place. I use a self tapping screw with a 5/16 hexhead. because they can draw parts together and prevent side slip. and find that Cleco's are inadequate when the amount of pressure applied is greater than they were designed to hold . Sometimes we used them in the shop but not very often. Also remember to weld both sides of the hole whenever possible.View attachment 73304

Ok, now it's said!

RYO5566

Reaction score
They are called Cleco fasteners. A hole is drilled into the top and bottom panel and this "clip" goes into the holes and is spring loaded with an expanding part in the rear that holds the fastener tightly to the holes.
https://www.amazon.com/Boulderfly-P...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584345017398779&psc=1

The first parts I heard! It is a device that opens holes and fixes the position. I use a tapping screw, but this one seems to be more powerful. Thank you for your kind response!

RYO5566

Reaction score
Those are called Clecos . You drill a 1/8 hole and there is a special pliers that takes them in and out. A must have when replacing panels on something so you can take it on and off and put it back in the exact place it was before.

Hello! It's a device that fixes the position! Maybe it's not sold to Japan. I will search for it in summit racing. Thank you for your kind response!

RYO5566

Reaction score
I use short, self drilling pan head sheet metal screws used for putting metal studs together.

Hello! I see... I used to use that screw as well. In Japan, it is called pierce screw and tapping screw. Thank you for your kind response!

RYO5566

Reaction score
Cleco's work great for some apps. but they lack strength. They are great for prefit panels with prefit holes especially on aircraft. But often when replacing body panel you find that they just don't fit. the panels have to be manipulated into position pulled, pushed, and drawn into place. I use a self tapping screw with a 5/16 hexhead. because they can draw parts together and prevent side slip. and find that Cleco's are inadequate when the amount of pressure applied is greater than they were designed to hold . Sometimes we used them in the shop but not very often. Also remember to weld both sides of the hole whenever possible.View attachment 73304

Hello! It means that the parts themselves are not very powerful. I don't really use it, so I'll try it once. I am currently fixing the body panel with a 4mm tapping screw. Thank you very kindly for your reply!

Torqueflite

Reaction score
JMO but cleco's work great on aircraft aluminum skins. I also use them occasionally but use the screws for drawing the panels tight.

Back