• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Warped Aluminum Weiand Stealth Intake!

cudatt

Reaction score
Took off the old 2 Barrel iron manifold on my 318 and installed a Stealth manifold.
I couldn't believe how much it rocks in place from corner to corner. Chasing from one side to another. I finally got a compromise position and torqued it down but worry about internal coolant leaks. Thanks for any advise.

Last edited:

fasjac

Reaction score
Did you put a straight edge on it after the rocking? Was it a new manifold that you put on? It can be cleaned up by removing alloy. Need to know if it the intake or ...
The rockin you’re describing is something is way out.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
Is this a small block. If so did u remove the pins in the front and rear rails that hold the gasket in place? If not I wouldn’t run it. Kim

budascuda

Reaction score
The practice should be to loosen off heads and manifold bolts in a gradual (or step wise) manner and in reverse order of thightning. But people don't always follow that method, some even think that its not necessary!
That practice is very important and more so with aluminium parts that have a flat mating surface.
when rocking is that noticeable,then that is the cue to stop and find out why. Still, (if you want to do it right) you gotta take the manifold off and check for excessive warpage. But I am sure you know all that.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Roll pins in te end rails could be te issue , can drill te manifold for clearance also , roll pins keep te end rail seals in place

cudatt

Reaction score
Did you put a straight edge on it after the rocking? Was it a new manifold that you put on? It can be cleaned up by removing alloy. Need to know if it the intake or ...
The rockin you’re describing is something is way out.
Brand new in the box, it came with the car but purchased 2 years ago so no warranty. Did not have a straight edge.

cudatt

Reaction score
No welding- new in the box.
Yes it is a 318, I did remove the roll pins.
I didn't loosen the head bolts; I do see the logic in that. I'm thinking of removing it and starting over. I may have to buy a new manifold, Edelbrock or weiand ? So loosen all the head bolts, tighten down the intake and retorque the headbolts?

oldkimmer

Reaction score
No welding- new in the box.
Yes it is a 318, I did remove the roll pins.
I didn't loosen the head bolts; I do see the logic in that. I'm thinking of removing it and starting over. I may have to buy a new manifold, Edelbrock or weiand ? So loosen all the head bolts, tighten down the intake and retorque the headbolts?
No, don’t touch the head bolts. That’s just crazy. I have never had to do that in 45 years. Have ur intake checked at a machine shop. Did u use the tin gaskets? They have the little raised area to fit into the head in 2 spots on each side. Maybe the gasket was kinda outta place. Kim

fasjac

Reaction score
You may just have a bad intake. A counterman that works for me has a 340 cuda and doing a rebuild. He buys an Offenhauser intake and the rear gap is just way out, too wide. Sends it back and went with Edelbrock. Works fine. Not downing any manufacturer, as I’ve had plenty of their intakes. Stuff happens. Have to just check everything and make sure it’s right.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Brand new in the box, it came with the car but purchased 2 years ago so no warranty. Did not have a straight edge.
If you take it off, you can use a table edge, a ruler, a piece of glass, etc. to see a warp as bad as you are describing. I doubt it is the intake. More than likely something didn't fit together like it should.

cudatt

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for advice...Holley, who now owns Weiand, have said I can mail it in and they'll check it on a test engine and replace, at no charge, if it's warped. I'll let you know!

cudatt

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, well I do have an update! removed the intake and cleaned everything up; that's when I noticed a very small metal piece of the Head gasket poking out. It needed trimming off; the Intake stopped rocking- duh. Complete rookie mistake! Ran well after that.

oldkimmer

Reaction score
Glad u got it fixed. U need to pay more attention to detail. Kim

Back