• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

rearview mirror question

VAEeng

Reaction score
I have a 72 challenger that I use as a street strip car.

It runs high 11's in the 1/4 (best ever 11.73) but often I am footbraking in the transbrake class running 1/8 mile (7.50's, 7.60's.) I am one of the slowest cars in no box transbrake class, so having a useful rearview mirror would be very helpful. In fact, on Friday I was racing a guy. I had the better light but I made a mistake looking back for the other guy out the drivers window before I hit high gear. Therefore I was a bit late on the shift and lost some ET and lost the race.

It would be really helpful to have a rearview mirror that functions. The problem is, when I hit the gas on a "hard" launch, the rearview mirror goes backwards and if I look into the mirror I'm just looking at the headliner. Nothing holds it "tight" where I adjust it to.

I don't know what it's supposed to have, but I looked in the hole expecting there to be some sort of set screw I could adjust and it didn't look like there was anything in there.

So, my question is, what holds the mirror tight? Is it a set screw? I think mine has fallen out if so. So, if it's a set screw, can someone let me know what size I need? And if it's not a set screw, what needs to be done so the mirror doesn't flop under any amount of g's?

Rich G.

Reaction score
If it the arm that moves , you can tighten it up after you take it off , you’ll see the screws in the bottom of the mount.

VAEeng

Reaction score
If it the arm that moves , you can tighten it up after you take it off , you’ll see the screws in the bottom of the mount.
Thanks for the super quick response! It is loose at this "shoulder" socket.
upload_2020-8-5_9-5-30.png

upload_2020-8-5_9-5-20.png

Rich G.

Reaction score
Yep there’s a plate on the inside of the mount that will tighten the ball socket down.

Back