• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering coupler cross pin removal

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Does this pin have to be pressed out. I have beat on with a hammer and not budged it? Does new one have to be pressed in?

Buckminster

Reaction score
There is a plastic bushing in the steering column that you can damage if you beat on it, plus it is not a great idea to beat on the steering shaft on the steering box. it would be best to press it out. There is a special tool that will do that. If you are handy, you can make one as it is not a hard tool to make. Several people have plans for making them. I've seen them on this forum. It should come up in a search

Buckminster

Reaction score
Sorry, I misunderstood. I did not remove that one as it was in great shape. I can't imagine a drill press or a hydraulic press wouldn't be able to remove that.

Rich G.

Reaction score
I just put the shaft on a vice with the jaws opened up enough for the pin to go through and hit it out with a punch.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I have bent one punch hitting with a 5lb hammer. It doesn't budge. I screwed it up thinking I was going to just install the borgeson. So now it has to come out so I can put a orignal back. I drilled a small hole 1/8" and tried again. I tired drilling with a bigger bit I doesn't want do anything. Bought a new bit same thing just sits and spins. I drilled on it for 5 min couldn't get any deeper than a 1/16 of inch. It is some tough steel.

Rich G.

Reaction score
That’s a hardened pin I don’t think you can drill it. I’ve taken a bunch out . Like I said I lay it across the jaws of a vice with half the pin through the open jaws. I’ll hit the pin with a hammer flush to the shaft and then get a punch to drive the rest out.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Make sure you use the right size punch. If you use one that is small enough to go inside the pin, it will work against you. The more you hammer to drive out the pin, the more the too small punch will push the pin to the walls of the hole, locking it in.
You want a punch with a tip the same size as the pin. The punch should barely slip in the hole where the pin is.

mopar car lady

Reaction score
Use the right size punch.I worked on one 3 years ago the previous person did a bad butchering job to it,they bent the pin so bad I had to take out the steering column.Got the pin out with a press

Flchallenger

Reaction score
Well I have cut it off flush thinking no big deal I am going to put this borgeson on. Once I got the joint to slide on and slipped it up to the steering box and whamo it don't fit. I have tried getting this damn out a couple of years ago and couldn't then. Using the vice. Harbour freight 6 inch vice snapped off I was hitting so hard. Finally just trimmed the new rubber seal slipped over and put it back together. I guess I got a hate on for it back then and when I saw a possible replacement and the motor is out right now. I just couldn't help myself. Well here were are with that stubborn pin smooth with the edge of the shaft and small hole through it. I am going to take to a machine shop at this point and get are real expert and take out of the hands of this shade tree mechanic.

Rich G.

Reaction score
If you were local in NJ I’d look at it for you.

Buckminster

Reaction score
I have no doubt the machinist will have the right tools to remove this. Best of luck to you.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I never did get mine out. I pulled the whole column, removed the steering wheel and shaft and built the column that way.

Mopar Nut

Reaction score
Isn’t that pin tapered and only could come out oneway?

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your pin isn't worn you don't need to replace it. I bet the shoes are softer and wear instead of the pin.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I finally got it out with torch and small sledge hammer. couldn't find a shop that had time to do it so I brought home and pounded some more. Well now I am looking at it the floor plate is flopping around and not attached to anything. Seems like to me it was fixed before. But I can't were is was welded or anything. This is a 71 challenger. I have manuel it shows a retainer and o ring. I have never had this. Also it's just two bolt's. Should this plate be welded or fixed on the column? Not sure about I attached some pics.
20200808_111307.jpg
20200808_111348.jpg

moparlee

Reaction score
I finally got it out with torch and small sledge hammer. couldn't find a shop that had time to do it so I brought home and pounded some more. Well now I am looking at it the floor plate is flopping around and not attached to anything. Seems like to me it was fixed before. But I can't were is was welded or anything. This is a 71 challenger. I have manuel it shows a retainer and o ring. I have never had this. Also it's just two bolt's. Should this plate be welded or fixed on the column? Not sure about I attached some pics.View attachment 74285 View attachment 74286
There is nothing that is welded. Three pieces - floor plate with a gasket which is bolted to the floor pan with three bolts, an o-ring, and the o-ring retainer which is bolted to the floor retainer with two bolts.
Looks like you are also missing the the plastic retainer between the column and the shaft.

Flchallenger

Reaction score
I took the plastic retainer out when I heated it. Yes as I looked back at the pic I see I am missing the o ring. I bet it was sold old it acted like a glue to keep it from moving. The vibration of hitting on dislodge it. I thought oh **** I have done it again. Probably could make a sit com with that being the main line in this hobby. Thanks

Back