• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Cracks in frame under K member and in the firewall....

Voynich

Reaction score
Guys,

Pulled off my K member today in the course of rebuilding it, and found the following. The one in the frame rail was hidden by the member itself- rearmost bolt on passenger side. Anybody seen this before, and if so, where do I start? I don't think the damage under the k member looks like rust, but then again, it doesn't look like crash damage either. It just looks.... bad.
The one in the firewall is passenger side, and opened up when I put jackstands under the frame rail to support yanking the k member. Looks like rust/water intrusion, but where from, and how do I get to it? Looks like I may have to go in through the dash?

Thanks for any help!

? 20201028_155124.jpg

20201028_142342.jpg

340challconvert

Reaction score
Voynich
Welcome to FEBO
Sorry your intro to the site had to start with a frame issue.
As you intimated; it looks like water intrusion damaged the frame rail. It is possible collision damage caused the issue some time in the past?
I would clean up the frame and fire wall area first, then examine the frame rail area under the cowl.
I would guess that the damaged frame rail caused stress to the cowl/firewall, precipitating the crack.

At the least, removal of the top of the cowl and potentially repair or replacement of the firewall might additionally be needed in order to determine the extent of the uni-body damage, as well as examining the frame rail and cross rails at the rear of the main rail. Also, what is the condition of the shock tower that connects to the frame rail and supports the inner fender?
Frame rails are available with the inner fender and shock tower collectively, as replacements. There is also a front frame rail cap that can be welded over the original, damaged frame rail.
I also found a video that David Rea made on replacement of the frame rail you might find helpful.
Youtube has a number of videos on this type of repair.

1970 Dodge Challenger Parts | ME175930 | 1970-74 Challenger; Front Fender Apron; Passenger Side; EDP Coated | Classic Industries

Good luck with an extensive task.

Last edited:

Voynich

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Looks like I get to learn frame repair! The cracks go all the way up both sides of that frame rail. Didn't realize they made repops for it- good thing, in my case. I'd thought about buttressing both vertical sides of the rail with new metal, cutting out the k member mount bolt, and welding in new mount bolt and plate between my new buttresses. Frame rail may be more difficult, but would be a better repair. I wonder if I can get the car truly level with that crack in the firewall- I'm thinking I might have a droop on the passenger side with it.

Well, I hadn't planned on totally stripping the car. No plan survives first contact with the enemy, though....

fastmark

Reaction score
I’ve seen and repaired that section of the frame on the drivers side from rust because of a leaking battery, but the passenger side should not have that issue. That looks like pure stress cracks from the picture. You may have to have that car put on a frame machine to measure before you repair it. It may be out of alignment. That is some serious stress right there.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
I agree. I think that car left the road and maybe drove through a deep ditch or ravine at some point.

Voynich

Reaction score
There's some other damage that points to something like that as well. The passenger inner fender skirt has some odd wrinkles to it, and the passenger fender seems newer. I'm thinking a collision in the late 70's when the car was fairly new.

Also, when I'm moving around the garage, the driver's side frame rail takes all the weight, passenger side nothing at all. Unfortunately for me, I'm money and time short so a frame shop is probably out of my budget.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
That’s a bummer. I’m sorry for you about this because it’s certainly something that has to be repaired correctly. You do have welding skills? The confidence to handle the rail replacement on your own?

Back