• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 vs 318 ‘Race Engine’?

NorwegianDart

Reaction score
Not sure whether this is the right place to ask or not, but I’ll try.

As a young woman in the ‘90s, my mother bought herself a 1964 Dodge Dart GT “Golden Anniversary.” My dad says the engine is obviously a 340, but upon closer inspection and research it looks to be registered as a 318 LA ‘Race Engine.’ My mom essentially agreed that it must be a 340, since she’s done racing with the car before and it was never slow or sluggish compared to seemingly stronger engines, she beat a lot of cars back in the day. She also reminisces about the days when the engine actually started, and the whole car would shake and rumble when tapping the gas pedal only slightly. She says it’s so loud and brutal that she was embarrassed whenever starting it up in a neighborhood at night. So it certainly doesn’t keep in line with the bad reputation the 318s have here in Norway.

Nobody seems to know what the Race Engine actually is, or what separates it from the standard 318. Looking all over the internet I haven’t come across any likely explanations yet, only someone who thought the Race Engine is an underbored 340. But according to a knowledgeable guy I know, that doesn’t sound right to him.

So what is this engine? It’s somewhat of a mystery to us for now. 32F74930-459C-4B39-9DE8-2A0178B63112.jpeg
32F74930-459C-4B39-9DE8-2A0178B63112.jpeg
00BF1D8D-4473-43E2-9EF8-549130802FCE.jpeg2A2E80F4-499B-4E0E-AF76-D357D809F51A.jpeg

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Is it the original engine? is there a fender tag? I don’t remember if the ‘64’s vin denotes what engine. I’m thinking 273 which would’ve had solid lifters and dual points.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 273-4 (HP 235 horse) wasn't available until 65. A V8 in a A body 64 would be a 180 horse 273-2 barrel. The only 318 made in 64 was a Poly and wasn't used in A bodies. If the car is close, take a clear photo of the fender tag. The engine size is cast into the side of the block rearward of the motor mounts. That will tell you what it is. Someone probably changed engines along it's 56 year history.

RJHJR

Reaction score
Blow up the engine photo - I think I see orange paint peeking out.
Between toolmanmike and moparleo I'd bet they solved your mystery.
Someone dropped a race 318 in that car and with blue paint made it look original.
Great history!
You should join FABO.

fasjac

Reaction score
I bet it had a 180 mph speedo?? I’ve seen them before, just don’t know if it wasn’t 64,65. Neat car

fastmark

Reaction score
Well, let’s look at the obvious right now. It was 30 years old when your mother bought the car so lots was probably changed from the way in was delivered in 64. Those look to be early valve covers and early exhaust manifolds that could be original to the car. The alternator is not stock. It is even on the wrong side of the engine. That intake is a later 318 with the slanted thermostat housing and the EGR valve has been blocked off. It is a stock type two barrel intake and carb. Look on the sides of the block up where the heads bolt to block and look for raised numbers cast into the block. They will tell you the motor size on one side and the casting date on the other. There is another series of numbers stamped close to the pan rail. It will give you the number of the vehicle it was installed in from the factory if it was a 1969 or later factory installed engine. Pictures will help.

Now on the difference of the various cubic inches on mopar small blocks. The crank from a 273, 318 and 340 LA series are all the size size and will all interchange with some special attention to balancing. It was too complicated for this discussion and not necessary here. The difference in all the blocks is the size of the bore. The 273 was 3.625, the 318 was 3.91 and the 340 is 4.040. If you have any of these motors with a bigger cam and free flowing exhaust ( loud mufflers), it would run better than a factory car. Throw in a gear change to 3.91 or 4.10 and the car would seem pretty fast to your mom.

70rag

Reaction score
Blue is not the factory color (it was orange/red). I agree that it probably was a drop in, later in life.....good direction from "fastmark" numbers are on the side of the block

oldkimmer

Reaction score
Maybe what she meant was that a 340 is the race version of a 318. Kim

volunteer

Reaction score
I agree with most of the previous explanations and theories. Car would also have a 'push-button' auto. 904? 727? As offered, raised cast number is on left-rear side of block, pretty much behind main part of starter. (unless that has been moved to right side) - 😂. But, seriously, the CID numbers indicate original size of engine and anything done to it thru history can only be confirmed by measurements. (sigh)

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with most of the previous explanations and theories. Car would also have a 'push-button' auto. 904? 727? As offered, raised cast number is on left-rear side of block, pretty much behind main part of starter. (unless that has been moved to right side) - 😂. But, seriously, the CID numbers indicate original size of engine and anything done to it thru history can only be confirmed by measurements. (sigh)
Yes but anything done to it will just be an overbore and not a different sized engine. A moot point. What is it? a 318? Yes it should have a push button 904.

volunteer

Reaction score
Yes but anything done to it will just be an overbore and not a different sized engine. A moot point. What is it? a 318? Yes it should have a push button 904.
Yes, I agree - but engine could also be 'stroked' - and we still do not know what CID the block shows.

toolmanmike

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree - but engine could also be 'stroked' - and we still do not know what CID the block shows.
That's easy to check, pull a plug and stick a 6" extension or a wood dowel down the hole from top to bottom dead center.

Rob C

Reaction score
Blue is a later year engine found on 318’s and up.
Often the numbers on the side of the block are confused with the race block numbers. IF it is a race block, it will have an “X” or a “R” on the front passenger side.

318’s can be made to run but often are not because of the limited bore size they have or can be machines out to. Giving up 22 cubic inches is a lot on the race track!

Back