• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Advice on AC

ChallngeAccpted

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a 72 challenger with factory air and wanting to know whether I should keep it or go with vintage air. When I bought the car most of the AC components were there. I am missing the condenser, and low pressure line. she has been sitting for almost 30 years so if I’m going to use it I plan on getting a new evaporator and compressor for sure. Blower motor works but that’s all I know for sure. I have heard those after market kits are designed for non AC cars so they may not fit with mine. I need to replace the heater core anyways so while I was in there tonight I should address the AC too. Thanks!

DrEamer

Reaction score
Vintage Air makes a kit for factory air cars for both standard and Rallye gauges. I would give them a call to see what kit they can put together for you. Also, Classic Auto Air can also build, or rebuild a kit for you.

moparleo

Reaction score
The factory air was marginal when it was new. Compared to modern cars with a/c even cheap ones makes the older a/c seem like the blower is on extra low. You will need to replace most of the system anyway since it has been open which is the kiss of death for a/c components. The original system was designed for R12 refrigerant which hasn't been manufactured in this country for over 30 years so it is very expensive if you do find some. I would do as the previous post said and upgrade with either Vintage or Classic air. Both good company's. Check which one will be the most compatible with and originally install a/c.

Last edited:

ChallngeAccpted

Reaction score
Vintage Air makes a kit for factory air cars for both standard and Rallye gauges. I would give them a call to see what kit they can put together for you. Also, Classic Auto Air can also build, or rebuild a kit for you.
I did look in vintage, I’ll try classic auto care. But since everything under the dash in tact and looks good, I am now leaning toward getting the original stuff.

ChallngeAccpted

Reaction score
The factory air was marginal when it was new. Compared to modern cars with a/c even cheap ones makes the older a/c seem like the blower is on extra low. You will need to replace most of the system anyway since it has been open which is the kiss of death for a/c components. The original system was designed for R12 refrigerant which hasn't been manufactured in this country for over 30 years so it is very expensive if you do find some. I would do asa the previous post said and upgrade with either Vintage or Classic air. Both good company's. Check which one will be the most compatible with and originally install a/c.
That’s a good point. I was leaning toward keeping it original since I have all the under dash lines and wiring all there and looks to be in good shape. Now I’ll have to rethink lol

michael bucklew

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have a 72 challenger with factory air and wanting to know whether I should keep it or go with vintage air. When I bought the car most of the AC components were there. I am missing the condenser, and low pressure line. she has been sitting for almost 30 years so if I’m going to use it I plan on getting a new evaporator and compressor for sure. Blower motor works but that’s all I know for sure. I have heard those after market kits are designed for non AC cars so they may not fit with mine. I need to replace the heater core anyways so while I was in there tonight I should address the AC too. Thanks!

michael bucklew

Reaction score
all parts you need are available at a NAPA store exec[t the hoses---Vintage Auto Air in Tampa can rebuiid them---did my 71 Challenger--

volunteer

Reaction score
All good advice - pretty much what was provided to me few months ago when I was contemplating re-installing A/C components that were removed from my '73 Challenger prior to 1979.
Only thing I can add would be to advise to not 'retro-fit' to R134a. I have articles from back to late nineties that explain why not - including from Mopar Collector's Guide issue dated March, 1999 (published in Nov. '98).
Edited Dec. 11 - The info is out there so just search any label or company product. ie: Duracool. There were members of Allpar, 15 years ago, almost coming to blows because most of the a.c. techies refused to read the updated info and facts and therefore basically adopted a 'sky is falling' attitude. Over time, many did come around and saw the light. Ignorance was replaced by common-sense. There are pros and cons to everything we do and purchase. There was - - and still is - - paranoia. It should not be a big deal. Bottom line is that R134a is not the mandatory refrigerant of the day but, at the same time, R12 (freon) has not been 'legal' to use since 1992. The selection of products to use (safely and effectively) is vast and still growing - as compared to 20 years ago. Every one of them is better than R134a. If anyone disagrees with this fact then he or she hasn't researched, read and read and read. I stopped listening to this stubborn group a long time ago so save your comments and opinions (in support of R134a) as I've heard them all and ignorance bores me. Thank-you. Stay safe.

Last edited:

CMC

Reaction score
All good advice - pretty much what was provided to me few months ago when I was contemplating re-installing A/C components that were removed from my '73 Challenger prior to 1979.
Only thing I can add would be to advise to not 'retro-fit' to R134a. I have articles from back to late nineties that explain why not - including from Mopar Collector's Guide issue dated March, 1999 (published in Nov. '98).
Why?

Can u post 1?

Thanks

Avalanche

Reaction score
I believe you can keep all the stock interior components and vintage air will give you all new stuff for under the hood.
Looks stock from the interior, but new in engine bay.

flohemi

Reaction score
Hi, so my thought would be to keep it original, I was a Mopar tech since the early 80,s 25 plus years, r12 is more efficient the r134 and they blew really cold, you can rebuild the compressor instead of buying a new one that's up to you, I used to convert the r12,s to r 134,s and never had any problems but I haven't seen one in a long time so you should do some research. Good luck with ever you decide.

ChallngeAccpted

Reaction score
Thanks guys! if i stay with the original setup I will definitely stay with r12. But since pretty much all of my under the hood components are trash now anyways, I am leaning towards the Vintage setup. My one problem about that is, when say your compressor or condenser, or whichever part breaks, then you need to order one online and wait for shipping, and that is assuming they will still be in business and making those parts. In general I try to stick with stock parts for that very reason.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Thanks guys! if i stay with the original setup I will definitely stay with r12. But since pretty much all of my under the hood components are trash now anyways, I am leaning towards the Vintage setup. My one problem about that is, when say your compressor or condenser, or whichever part breaks, then you need to order one online and wait for shipping, and that is assuming they will still be in business and making those parts. In general I try to stick with stock parts for that very reason.

That's sort of backward of what you are thinking for some of the parts. Most parts stores do not have parts for 50 years old cars in stock, and need to go to specialty warehouses to get the parts if they will even make that effort for you. The Vintage Air, and other places use the Sanden compressor, which is used in many newer cars. Most condensers are by size, so fairly easy to get. Now the under dash parts would be specific the their manufacturers.

michael bucklew

Reaction score
That's sort of backward of what you are thinking for some of the parts. Most parts stores do not have parts for 50 years old cars in stock, and need to go to specialty warehouses to get the parts if they will even make that effort for you. The Vintage Air, and other places use the Sanden compressor, which is used in many newer cars. Most condensers are by size, so fairly easy to get. Now the under dash parts would be specific the their manufacturers.
got ALL parts from NAPA except hoses--had original and sent to Vintage Auto Air for rebuild

sixpactogo

Reaction score
If your factory stuff is pretty much intact, I would get a new condenser, drier, expansion valve and updated compressor. Charge it with the R134 and get on with life. I did that with my 68 Charger back in 2015. Blows ice cold and no issues at all. One thing I would do with the old system though is pull the blower motor and get it serviced or replaced. When they get old and dried out it takes a lot more current to run them. You end up with melted switches and or wiring.

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Classic Auto Air is in Coppell, TX and Tampa, FL. Vintage Auto Air is in San Antonio, TX. Did Vintage open a new store in Tampa?
I have a factory A/C Cuda and installed the full non-A/C Classic Auto Air kit over 10 years ago. At that time, Classic did not have a factory A/C kit.
The only thing I had to do was fabricate a plate for the factory opening in the firewall which is different for factory A/C-style blower motors. Very simple to do.

I would call either vendor and discuss options and cost. A blend of what you have and new components will save a lot of $ and get you a great system (Sanden compressor) and better controls, too. Let us know what you do.

Zippy

Reaction score
A little late to the party,,sorry. Just FYI for anyone still or getting ready to deal with this issue, I installed the complete kit from Vintage Air, model specific to my 73 factory air cuda. I love it. everything works great. everything is electronic,(no cables), variable speed blower that really blows. Gained all of the room under the hood and only ended up loosing 1/2 of my glove box depth. Everything you need comes with the kit.

chargerdon

Reaction score
I have a 74 Challenger...original factory a/c car. Replaced it with a Vintage Air and it works well, and was easy to install and it includes a new heater that works well also. On the interior you cannot tell it from factory.

Only thing I don't like about it, is that they do not allow for fresh air ventilation in moderate temps, as part of the install is to block off the original outside air feed. So, in essence it is recirculate or max only.

The temperature control switch when put to full cold shuts off the water flow to the heater, or when on hot fully opens it. There is no in between, so that they control the temperature internally by sending the air either over the heater core or the evaporator. Fresh air was a better option. On mine, in the summer time, after setting the control to full cold to close the water supply, i then disconnect its wiring...thus when i slide the temp control to say middle in mild temperatures, the water doesn't flow and the air is a little cooler without running the compressor. Come winter i reconnect the wires.

Back