• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Steering Wheel Suggestions

Fishgutz

Reaction score
I’m looking for a 14” black leather 3 spoke slotted or solid spoke wheel for my Cuda. I want one that’s pretty basic, but kinda classy. Any suggestions, maybe a photo of yours. Many thanks in advance for your help.

fasjac

Reaction score
Like a tough wheel or something aftermarket? This is a photo of one from Classic several years ago.

6377D5A9-50FD-4CCF-963D-BF14F36D1DD4.png

Fishgutz

Reaction score
Hey fasjac, You and I talked about it on your photo garage. That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Unfortunately Classic Industries no longer stocks it. Thanks for the quick reply.

fasjac

Reaction score
Hey fasjac, You and I talked about it on your photo garage. That’s exactly what I’m looking for. Unfortunately Classic Industries no longer stocks it. Thanks for the quick reply.
I thought so. Beware of the one Jegs offers as the reviews didn’t look good.

Fishgutz

Reaction score
Thanks for the info DrEamer, I‘m looking a couple of different GT wheels. I prefer a 14” wheel, do you think an extra inch makes much difference?

fasjac

Reaction score
Just to chime in, I haven’t measured the rimblow wheel but, I can tell you it’s very comfortable driving. It’s probably 15” or about. This one is from OER.

AF945E77-3422-43E6-8F8F-A11390907D26.jpeg

9B1A5812-BF73-451D-85E8-D6E822666FB8.jpeg

A39F2987-6937-4AEC-96DE-CBA398CE7EFD.jpeg

F0C71315-4B27-41B1-9AFA-2F4ACE579C9B.jpeg

fasjac

Reaction score
Just to chime in, I haven’t measured the rimblow wheel but, I can tell you it’s very comfortable driving. It’s probably 15” or about. This one is from OER.

View attachment 77968

View attachment 77969

View attachment 77978

View attachment 77979

View attachment 77968

View attachment 77969

View attachment 77978

View attachment 77979

View attachment 77968

View attachment 77969

View attachment 77978

View attachment 77979
dang, sorry for the extra pic. Old guy and iPhone again.

70chall440

Reaction score
The rim blow (last wheel shown above) is pretty big and if you don't have 6 way seats or a tilt column you might find it difficult to live with (getting in and out). A tuff wheel (first one shown) is pretty common and there are a lot of them out there both original and after market. There are some very good aftermarket ones available and they run $200+ and there are some cheap versions like the Grant Challenger which is typically less that $50. The Grant looks the part but the spokes are very thin and basically just stamped plate and the wheel is foam wrapped.

I have Tuff wheels on my Challenger as well as my 52 B3B and I like them.

Fishgutz

Reaction score
Many thanks for all the help guys. I’m going to go with the 3 spoke GT 15” wheel. It will match the dash and interior perfectly.
For the first time since June we actually got new parts on the Cuda, we installed the tail panel trim. A bit tricky but we got it right. Again, thanks for the input.

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
I had the same thoughts when I was looking for a new steering wheel. I had a 15" wheel from a '72-74 but never really liked that look and I felt like it was a school bus steering wheel. I went with this 14" Flaming River Tuff Wheel:

Satin Finish Mopar Tuff Wheel New Leather Design - Black with Satin Aluminum Spokes

I'm happy with it. It's not exactly the same as the original tuff wheels were but it's nice quality and pretty solid. I didn't think it would, but that 14" diameter made it feel so much better to me.

Old Wheel:
old wheel.jpg

Flaming River Wheel:
tuff wheel.jpg

Fishgutz

Reaction score
Hey Jimmmay, That’s it, that’s the one I’m looking for. I agree, a 15” still feels like driving a school bus. The stock 16” wheel is just too big. I want to take advantage of the new quick ratio steering box, and the 14” wheel should be perfect. Thanks for the info.

Mopar Mitch

Reaction score
I've looked seriously at different wheels... settled on an 11.5" Superior, ~5" deep dish, having about 1-1/4" thick rubber padding... it's great for quickening the steering action... especially combined with the T/A Fast Ratio steering. However, there is a slight visibility issue of the in-dash tachometer with partial view disruption... I've gotten used to it with my small 11.5" wheel. (I've removed the crush can.)

I had previously tried the factory smaller diameter "Tuff" wheel... approximately 15" diameter... too big and the factory OE rubber was slippery... poor grip.

The Grant "Tuff" wheel is also 15"... too big.

The Flaming River "Tuff" wheel is 14" diameter (better!)... and has a leather-like material... better than slippery OE rubber. I'd recommend the Flaming River wheel over the factory OE or the Grant.

These above wheels (Grant or Flaming River), bolt directly onto the steering columns using the three studs.

Fishgutz

Reaction score
The Flaming River 14” is the one, a bit spendy, but nothing on this project has been cheap. Is the recommended adapter plate required or will the wheel bolt direct to the can? Thanks for all the input.

Jimmmmmay

Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I went back and forth for a while between the Flaming River and getting the cheaper Grant wheel, but I wanted the smallest tuff wheel possible. Flaming River is actually right down the street from me too, so I felt like I was at least doing my part in supporting local businesses. Haha... I know how you feel. I don't know if I've said "wow, that part is cheap!" while working on this car yet. No adapter plate needed on the ebody, either. The wheel fits right up to the three studs on the crush can.

DaveBob

Reaction score
I’m looking for a 14” black leather 3 spoke slotted or solid spoke wheel for my Cuda. I want one that’s pretty basic, but kinda classy. Any suggestions, maybe a photo of yours. Many thanks in advance for your help.
I bought the Flaming River Tuff wheel, but returned it. Originally, the Flaming River Tuff wheel had stainless spokes and used the factory horn button assembly. I think it also had the countersunk mounting holes to use the factory nuts and provide a more secure mounting than through holes. Currently, their Tuff wheel has through hole mounting holes (no countersinks), aluminum spokes and a flimsy, thin plastic (non OEM) horn button. Other than that, the diameter is perfect and the look and feel of the leather grip is very nice.

Back