• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

SOLD 340 T/A long block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dart SRT

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contact seller
340 T/A long block for sale. Engine is bored .020 over with .010, .010 forged crank. Engine was balanced with Eagle h beam rods. Has TRW forged pistons. Needs gone through as the cam went flat on a lobe and two cylinders got moisture from sitting. May be able to just hone cylinders? The T/A heads are disassembled and have been tanked and magna fluxed. I do not believe they have been rebuilt as i did not use them when short block was rebuilt. The T/A rockers are complete and in nice shape as the engine originally had low miles on it before and after rebuild. No broke castings or stripped threads. May possibly part out later but would rather sell complete. Asking $7200. OBO Located in Oregon.

IMG_20190804_170944174.jpg

IMG_20191123_230858496.jpg

IMG_20190811_092016385.jpg

floyd

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post the Partial VIN?

Dart SRT

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The # matching car is known. Price was negotiated. I thought it was sold. Ended up not being the case.

challngrvert

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hijack but I can’t believe the owner of the car didn’t follow through with buying. Such an opportunity to have the original motor back

CUDAGOLD

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thats odd to me .....its not like your buying an engine to plop in just any car. Its your numbers matching T/A 340 motor that belongs to a rare muscle car that will definitely increase the value. So, I'm not surprised but to bad....I'm sure the seller of the block tried his best to make it happen

SFEbody

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean no disrespect to the seller so I apologize in advance. In my Opinion...MOST of Us folks on this forum are Mopar fans thru and thru. I know if I had that one car of my dream and was missing the # matching engine I would do everything in my power to find it.

Now with that said, I could not agree with DeMatt as not everyone has the 7k to plop down.... BUT.....as we connect on here and meet up at Carlisle and other places to bond, we need to be mindful of what is right is right, and the right thing for this 340 is to be back with its car to complete it.

THIS SHOULD NOT BE A CASE of selling it at a premium because of its retail value. You are not selling it to just anybody, its the cars owner. Now that my compassion side is over, seller needs to sell and buyers will buy but my fellow FEBO friends, don't buy this only because it should go back to the original car, and once it sells again, it may never be recovered by the cars owner. My hat off to the seller !!!

Dart SRT

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I have had this engine for around 25 years. It's been known for the last 9 to 10 years there's a matching car. The negotiations typically leave me hanging in the dark. All I have wanted for it is a fair price for buyer and seller which reflect it's value. I feel it's nicer than average.
So my preference would naturally be for it to go back to the original car. But I am not in a spot to give it away.

fastmark

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, you have to put this perspective. The original motor to my AAR was replaced in warranty so I’ll never face this problem more than likely. My car might be sold by my kids some day but I doubt I ever will. If I do I’ll make money regardless. I gave 1500 bucks for it! I live in Abilene Texas. My house is 2400 square feet and cost less than 90% of the rest of the country. I have a 9,000 square foot shop. Again, the same deal. I don’t make that much money. The cost of living is cheaper here. I sell parts to people all over the country that make way more money than me and live in a $500,000 house. People have different levels of income and need. I think the motor is priced fair enough. It been for sale for awhile so maybe it a little high, but not that much. These motors don’t grow on tree, either. I bought my spare TA engine for $500 long ago. I paid the market value at the Time. I think the seller has made it available and that’s the best he can do.

fastmark

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t remember off hand but I’m sure the car is long gone. Barry has the number. It’s for a TA that’s never been heard from.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess after reading this post I need to bring myself back to reality and understand this group has evolved from E-Body enthusiasts to E-Body opportunists. Times change and so do people. Us who restore these don't do it for the money, but the money is nice, you NEVER get out the cost of labor we painstakingly put into these cars... Im out on this topic and back to a new reality, sadly! Brian

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I guess after reading this post I need to bring myself back to reality and understand this group has evolved from E-Body enthusiasts to E-Body opportunists. Times change and so do people. Us who restore these don't do it for the money, but the money is nice, you NEVER get out the cost of labor we painstakingly put into these cars... Im out on this topic and back to a new reality, sadly! Brian
So what are you suggesting the owner of this engine should do? What would you do?
what we don’t know is how much the current owner paid for it.

SFEbody

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I owned the engine and found the owner of the car that goes with, I would work out a deal outside of the forum. If they cant deal, then by all means full speed ahead to make some money

Last edited:

NoCar340

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The # matching car is known. Price was negotiated. I thought it was sold. Ended up not being the case.
The highlighted statement says it all. It seems people are either not reading, or not comprehending, what's been discussed here. Give the man the credit he deserves.

As much as all of us believe the "right thing" is this engine installed in its original chassis, the responsibility to do the right thing lies solely with the owner of the car (abbreviated herein as "CO"). Dart SRT and CO negotiated a purchase price, which means a deal to which CO agreed but didn't consummate. So our man SRT has done the right thing, and ultimately CO has failed to do the same. To suggest that Dart SRT is somehow obligated to be the curator of this engine, until either CO comes to his senses or the car changes hands, is utterly preposterous.

The amount Dart SRT paid for said engine, as well as any further investment therein, is completely immaterial to the discussion. Whatever his circumstances might be--we neither know them nor need to--he feels his time with this engine is over. He has better use for the floor space, cash, whatever. It's a valuable item, and as its owner he's entitled to ask (and he is asking) what he feels is a fair price. If the price isn't fair, then he'll be an unwilling curator of the engine until the right person comes along or he adjusts his price accordingly. That's his decision; he owes no debt to history or hobby regardless of anyone's opinion.

CO had his chance at a price he must've thought reasonable, because he agreed to it. If Dart SRT sells it elsewhere then so be it. If the engine vanishes into the ether or lands with of someone unwilling to part with it, and ultimately never lands back in its original car, that's a damned shame--and it falls 100% on CO. There's nobody else to blame, including whomever buys it.

I'd love to have this engine, but I don't have a legit 340 Six Pack car so I'm not willing to spend what I expect is in Dart SRT's price range. I don't really need it, which has nothing to do with its value. If CO's playing the "waiting game" thinking the price will drop, he's a fool. Does he think nobody else is going to want "his" numbers-matching block because it won't match their car? Make no mistake: If I had a Trans Am car with an empty engine bay, I'd have already messaged Dart SRT my number to try and hammer out a deal--and I'd be a lot less thrifty in that situation. I would badly want to have an actual T/A engine in my car, even if it's not the T/A engine original to it. If CO came a'calling later, I'd tell him to get back to me when he's got my numbers-matching block, and no sooner. Opportunity already knocked; you didn't answer the door.

@Dart SRT: Much respect for making the effort you have. My hat is off to you, sir. Good luck with the sale, wherever that sale develops.

fk5aar

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got car 297262....not far off that one...if anyone has that block let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back