• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Cuda - Pass Front Rubbing only during light braking

Titan1969

Reaction score
Hi everyone thanks in advance.

I have been chasing an issue that is constant when I apply the brakes the pass. front disc has a fairly loud rubbing/squeaking noise.
I have...
  1. Stock Rims and Disc Brakes
  2. Checked 3x for metal shavings or signs of abnormal wear on disc
  3. Removed the shim pads
  4. Removed wheel bearing dust cap looking for wear / checking for looseness
  5. When brakes are applied aggressively , no rubbing issues
Noise persists while light/normal braking, any ideas?

budascuda

Reaction score
Could it be the dust shield behind the rotor? 🤔

moparleo

Reaction score
Try swapping the front rotors from side to side. See if the noise follows the rotor. You didn't say if you have recently done any work around the front brakes that may have had an effect on the brakes. Noise all of a sudden ?

moparker

Reaction score
You just sell me your Cuda. To much hassle to fix. Ok, sounds like bent dust shield to me.

BriceRoad

Reaction score
My first Mopar was a ‘73 Barracuda with disc brakes. I remember using something called disc brake quiet that you either sprayed or put on the back of the pads. Is it possible this stuff wore off?

Titan1969

Reaction score
My first Mopar was a ‘73 Barracuda with disc brakes. I remember using something called disc brake quiet that you either sprayed or put on the back of the pads. Is it possible this stuff wore off?
I thought about that also and did have the paste from another set of brakes, so I wiped that on the back of the pads and shims. No change unfortunately.

Titan1969

Reaction score
You just sell me your Cuda. To much hassle to fix. Ok, sounds like bent dust shield to me.
LOL ummmm no.

20210306_143014.jpg

bc3j

Reaction score
Might be way off base here, but it might be the pad vibrating. Hard braking stopped the vibration but light braking allowed the pad to oscillate causing noise. Had a similar problem with my slider pad on one wheel one time and I had to tighten the outer pad to an interference fit then no more noise. Wild guess here because hard braking stopped the noise. If pin type, maybe a loose fit between the pin and pad. Read somewhere in a Mopar service bulletin that recommended an adhesive be put between pad and caliper to stop noise. Total off the wall guess.

BE4B933D-8BCD-4392-A9FF-98298E2F1841.png

A12B49A4-E6FE-480B-AB01-09BF6254B40C.png

BriceRoad

Reaction score
I thought about that also and did have the paste from another set of brakes, so I wiped that on the back of the pads and shims. No change unfortunately.
Well it wasn’t a paste. The stuff I used (and I still have some) went on wet but when it dried it was like rubber so that it absorbed any vibrations from the pad.

Back