• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Started the Challenger 4 years ago, don't know if I can keep this going.

DrEamer

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have not been around much for awhile, but on the anniversary of me buying the Challenger, it seemed only fitting to be back on the forum. I have not touched the car in 6 months due to some family issues which have sucked my time, energy, and willpower to work on the car. That, and my daughters medical bills are looming, so money is not getting directed at it either. All this is a perfect trifecta for the car not getting done anytime soon. I know it happens, but damn, I don't know if I can see the end from here. Sorry for the sadness, it's not really like me, but sort of needed to vent a little.

fasjac

Reaction score
I hate to hear this Dreamer. And hope for the best for your daughter, you and family.
Sometimes we just have to put things/situations in perspective. Our priorities change at times. You hang hang in there man, I hope things get better for you guys. The car will be there.
fasjac

70chall440

Reaction score
It took me over 10 years to build my Cuda, so don't feel too bad. It should not be something you "have" to do but something you "want" to do. As fasjac stated, the car will be there when you are ready.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Dreamer; Daughters always come first so you have your priorities straight; Hope she is ok

I took my A66 Challenger out of a 31 year storage 5 years ago and started to work on her then, and I am still at it.
When you are ready, The car will be there.

convdart440

Reaction score
Dreamer I am really sorry to hear about your daughter's medical issues and the stress that you must be dealing with, the car can wait and can be replaced if it had to be. Our children are priceless and do what ever you need to to be there for your daughter. My daughter was diagnosed with a heart condition at 3 months old so I have an idea of what your going thru, When things were getting to much to take it was all I could do to try and get into the garage but It was my fortress of solitude, where I could try to think about something that wasn't some how related to the problems at hand. Being able to focus on wrenching on the car really was helpful. Probably not my best work I've done but it was a chance to free my brain for an hour or two. I didn't really have people to talk to at that time, My dart turned out to be a really good listner and never had anything negative to say with all that I was sharing with her.
try to stay positive and just get thru each day as they come, and things will get easier and hopefully better. God bless you and your family. Take care

Ralph

Reaction score
I too have had health issues and have been talking care of my son for the last 12 years with his issues. So remember its your quiet place, the car and garage, a place to go and work out the details drawings you into the task at hand.
Best wishes and do not give up on the car. Your daughter needs her champion clear headed !
Ralph

Cuda Hunter

Reaction score
You will get through it. Keep a positive attitude, body and mind.
Trials and tribulations are part of life and they will pass, kind of like driving in the fog. Thick and dense and you can't see where your going, but suddenly it will clear up and you will have a wide open road ahead of you.
Just keep starting the car once in a while to get the mind straight.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
It doesn't cost anything to keep it. Obviously, take care of your Daughter first. Someday you will get back on the car. I worked on mine off and on over 12 years. Went through a divorce. Raised my 3 kids mainly as a single Dad. Now it is finally 99% completed, but there are never completely finished.

Attachments

• rsz_rsz_20160716_125311.jpg
    rsz_rsz_20160716_125311.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 127

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Your priorities are right , don't sell the car though .
My story is ths , I bought my challenger when I was 20 & promised to restore the car the day I bought it , I never had a family & worked 70-100+ hrs / week all my life but my wages never really improved so 29 years later I have only driven the car 6000 miles & I had been collecting parts bit by bit over the years & I finally was able to restore the Challenger , it was not a 100 point resto but still a very nice rebuild . I never have regretted keep it !

DrEamer

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement. It's great to have the support of our members here, just to remind me of what I knew all ready, but needed to hear. As far as the car goes, it is not going anywhere. Several years ago when I mentioned to my wife about selling it then to cover some medical bill, she quite vocally told me,"NO, WE are not getting rid of that car." She brought up all the effort I had put into it, as well as the fact we had made trips together to get it along with other parts runs. Both my kids say they want to get rides in it, so I don't think I could sell her if I wanted. Today I went into the shop and knocked down a few cobwebs, then pulled back the car cover to remember how beautiful that purple paint looked. The total time was only ten minutes, but a needed reminder of why I started the project 4 years ago. Again thanks FEBO community !!!

Ralph

Reaction score
Sounds like we should see what the forum members have in terms of your parts needed and donate if we have extra.

How can I help !

DrEamer

Reaction score
Sounds like we should see what the forum members have in terms of your parts needed and donate if we have extra.

How can I help !
Thanks for the kind offer, but I really would not expect anyone to give me anything. I may need some smaller parts at some point, like inner door parts, but I would pay for something like that. Most of my future parts needs are more expensive items like, glass, instrument cluster, dash pad, and so forth. I can't, nor would I, expect anyone to pony up that kind of money.

Ron-B-Cuda

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have not been around much for awhile, but on the anniversary of me buying the Challenger, it seemed only fitting to be back on the forum. I have not touched the car in 6 months due to some family issues which have sucked my time, energy, and willpower to work on the car. That, and my daughters medical bills are looming, so money is not getting directed at it either. All this is a perfect trifecta for the car not getting done anytime soon. I know it happens, but damn, I don't know if I can see the end from here. Sorry for the sadness, it's not really like me, but sort of needed to vent a little.
Hi Dreamer, Sorry to hear about your daughter’s health issues. I fully understand about the Chally project going on hold for a while.
- I have a very similar situation. My wife of 24years has serious health problems. We don’t know how much longer she’ll be around.
- My Barracuda project, which we started way back in 1997, has been placed on hold multiple times. The passion to work on her errors, or funding, or family issues, or, like now, wife health issues. I, heck, most of us here, have had to put our Mopar projects on hold. For mine, there’s been a couple of five-year hiatuses.
- I would recommend, if I may, to just park the Chally somewhere safe. Sometime down the road you’ll have the time and passion to work on her again.
- Don’t know about you, but the prices on Cudas and Chally’s, well, I can’t afford to buy another. So, I’m keeping mine. That, and I guarantee that you’ll regret selling your Chally.
- Prayers for your daughter and for you. Take care, Ron

CudaGapCuda

Reaction score
Hey DrEamer
Sorry to hear about what you have been going through, we will offer up prayers for you and your family. Family first car second that the best formula I would say, Mo-pars are awesome machines especially e-bodys. My brother-in-law has a 72 challenger and I have a 71 Barracuda so we have some great conversation with a beer or two. Hang in there buddy.

sdcbowler

Reaction score
Hey, Doc. Sorry to hear about your situation. I am in a similar boat, with my obstacles being time and finances. It may seem long, but four years is not a long time. Took me four years just to learn about my Challenger, and I still have a thousand questions......lol. I think I purchased mine around 2005 and still have a ton of work. Sometimes life happens, and we have to take care of those things first. Like other members have said, the car will be there when you are ready. I can read the sadness in your tone and tell that you really love your vehicle. I also know that if you sell it because you feel it is taking too long, or you feel you will never complete your project, you will not forgive yourself..........Man.....What I wouldn't give to be even 50% complete with mine 😁

Attachments

• front.JPG
    front.JPG
    256.6 KB · Views: 111

mmissile

Reaction score
I know and feel your situation. I started on mine 20+ years ago. I let it sit for a dozen years, then changed direction...entirely. It made the project more complex and costly. I'm sure if it weren't my mother's car....it would have been long gone. I'd do what's correct for the future of my family. People are important.....things, are just that.

Lastcuda74

Reaction score
hey DrEamer,I bought my 74 cuda in 1978,drove it till 1992. Pulled it all apart. just put it on the road last year !Like 6pkrtse said ,doesnt cost anything to keep it.3 boys and 31 years married . wouldnt dream of getting rid of it. you have alot of support from the community. health comes first . maybe you have some mopar guys around your area that can help?

Back