• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Suggestions for a 727 replacement Automatic

VillaTA

Reaction score
Looking for a relatively easy bolt up option for my 70 T/A. Current trans is original/ rebuilt and has the usual pressure build up issue and pukes fluid after driving. Anyone got suggestions?

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
There are 2 , the 500 is a 904/999 based trans & the 518 which is 727 based .
Yes they were available in ram trucks & vans

Adam

Reaction score
Chryco, is this the same transmission used in 1990 dodge ram pickup truck with a 318 ?
For those considering this swap, there are two types of 518. Mopar changed the names to the 46rh and the 46re. The rh is hydraulically shifted and the re is electronically shifted; so you would need the ecm and harness. The rh was used for a couple of years (89-95, I think). FYI.

budascuda

Reaction score
For those considering this swap, there are two types of 518. Mopar changed the names to the 46rh and the 46re. The rh is hydraulically shifted and the re is electronically shifted; so you would need the ecm and harness. The rh was used for a couple of years (89-95, I think). FYI.
This bit of info is gonna save me alot of headache! I happen to have one of these transmissions.
Thanks Adam......

SRKlegin

Reaction score
I have just got this 1972 Plymouth Barracuda and plan to upgrade to a 727. Powerplant is a weak 150 HP 318, but I plan on keeping it because its S/N matching. Plans are to stroke it using a 360 Crank...etc...I think this car came stock with A904 3-spd transmission. Please bear with me...I only have just bought this and am learning. what model 727 would I source? I plan on getting the shifter off the tree and sourcing e-body console, brackets, shift linkage...etc...

Ele115

Reaction score
A barracuda with a 318 and column shifter would be as cool as they come. Maybe ditch the wheels and just enjoy being the only guy that doesn't have an LS or a Hemi of one gen or another.

70chall440

Reaction score
I have just got this 1972 Plymouth Barracuda and plan to upgrade to a 727. Powerplant is a weak 150 HP 318, but I plan on keeping it because its S/N matching. Plans are to stroke it using a 360 Crank...etc...I think this car came stock with A904 3-spd transmission. Please bear with me...I only have just bought this and am learning. what model 727 would I source? I plan on getting the shifter off the tree and sourcing e-body console, brackets, shift linkage...etc...
To be honest there is nothing wrong with a 904 and in fact many drag racers have/do use them and beat on them hard. That said any passenger car small block 727 should work if you really want to change it. Not sure why you are even messing with the 318, they are not bad engines but why not start with something like a 360, get a Magnum version out of any ram truck from like 96 (I think) to around 2003. Its basically the same but comes with a roller cam, hell you can even get a crate engine, remanufactured engine, etc. Rebuilding always seems like the cheaper way to go but once you start paying machine shop bills it gets expensive quick. Personally I don't think you can rebuild an engine for the cost of a reman, throw in a cam and you are off to the races (plus you get a warranty of sorts).

SRKlegin

Reaction score
Thanks...I was going to purchase 60775 edelbrock heads , intake and haven't shopped for the carburetor...folks are suggesting 550-600 cfm...What are your tips on rebuilding the 904?

Steve

SRKlegin

Reaction score
the 318 sounds tight...little noise from the valves, but am studying my manual to see what I can do...

SRKlegin

Reaction score
A barracuda with a 318 and column shifter would be as cool as they come. Maybe ditch the wheels and just enjoy being the only guy that doesn't have an LS or a Hemi of one gen or another.
Getting a lot of compliments on the color driving it around...I have a brand new set of 17" rims and Michelin Tires awaiting installation. Have a crappy install of rear coil over suspension and want to put a front coil over set-up on it as well...waiting my turn for a stall at a good shop that will drop the axle and straighten out the mess. LH shock is actually bent because the previous owner shoved 22" wheels on the back and 20" wheels on the front...not worthy of a classic car. It'll take about 2K to finish up the 6-piston wilwood system and the axle work. Man, that'll teach me to buy on pics alone. Corrosion under the vinyl roof, cracked windshield...glass is hard to find...florida company has E-body glass...Windeshield trim set will cost me 400.00...so much to do so little time...LOL

70chall440

Reaction score
Thanks...I was going to purchase 60775 edelbrock heads , intake and haven't shopped for the carburetor...folks are suggesting 550-600 cfm...What are your tips on rebuilding the 904?

Steve
Unfortunately I cannot give you any real tips on building a 904 because I am not real experienced in building AT transmissions, I have used a lot of them but have in the past relied on others to build them. That said, in the golden age of the internet I am quite sure there is a lot of information out there on the subject. I would think that any reputable transmission shop could help you out.

70chall440

Reaction score
Getting a lot of compliments on the color driving it around...I have a brand new set of 17" rims and Michelin Tires awaiting installation. Have a crappy install of rear coil over suspension and want to put a front coil over set-up on it as well...waiting my turn for a stall at a good shop that will drop the axle and straighten out the mess. LH shock is actually bent because the previous owner shoved 22" wheels on the back and 20" wheels on the front...not worthy of a classic car. It'll take about 2K to finish up the 6-piston wilwood system and the axle work. Man, that'll teach me to buy on pics alone. Corrosion under the vinyl roof, cracked windshield...glass is hard to find...florida company has E-body glass...Windeshield trim set will cost me 400.00...so much to do so little time...LOL
Rear and front coil over systems??? Why would you do that? Unless you are doing a high end build and using the best components out there (RMS comes to mind) I would not recommend either of these courses of action. The torsion bar front suspension and the leaf rear are more than adequate for anything you are going to do with the car short of making a full on road race car. Worse is that many of the systems out there are absolute crap and definitely can make the car not only handle like crap but become a bit dangerous.

The rear of the car was never designed to hold the weight of the vehicle, therefore a completely different rear support must be installed, however it MUST be engineered to not only fit but be sustainable which many are not. There are a few front systems which have been used successfully (RMS comes to mind) but given the cost to purchase and install correctly they do not deliver any advantage over what you have now other than header clearance perhaps which is not an issue on a SB car.

Hey its your money and car, do as you like but I suspect you are going to end up with a driveway queen that while it may look good is not going to be fun (or safe) to drive. I of course could be completely wrong and as I said its your car but if you were asking, I would tell you to spend that money on things that make the car better as it is.

VillaTA

Reaction score
Still considering if I should just replace with an aftermarket 727. Mine feels a bit worn out And I can hear rotational noise when sitting at a light in drive. Stops when I put in neutral. Any ideas what problem that symptom could suggest?

Back