• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

No oil pressure on start up

Rons340

Reaction score
Tom, I'm going with a missing welch plug also, unless the cam bearings are installed incorrectly. I always pack the oil pump with assembly grease as well to be sure it gets good suction on start-up.

Tom Frost

Reaction score
UPDATE: Pulled motor...took it to KY to builder (500 mile roundtrip). He put drill on it and it went to 70# immediately. Problem was guy starting it had spun the distributor wrong way to prime...caused air lock that prevented oil from circulating. Engine is fine I am just not real happy with the cost their lack of knowledge has cost me. Oh well. Back in it goes.

moparleo

Reaction score
Knowledge costs money $$$. Trust but verify... I forgot who said that, wise advice.
Rear distributor-clockwise. Front distributor-counterclockwise. Rotating pump in the wrong direction just pumps air into the oil passages.
At least you now know all the things to check before start up again. Fun, Fun, Fun...
Service Manual information, more people should use them. Saves $$$ and headaches.

Last edited:

budascuda

Reaction score
Tom, that was a valuable piece of information you just shared with us!
Thanks and good luck.

fasjac

Reaction score
I thought they primed it before…and had good pressure.. I may have missed something.
Sounds like you’re good 👍🏻

fasjac

Reaction score
Well they tried...but spun it wrong way causing an air block which kept it from priming.
I don’t understand why they moved forward at that point. Even an apprentice should have raised his hand. Oh well, I’m sure they had a conversation…. Glad it’s good to go. 👍🏻

70chall440

Reaction score
Kind of speaks to the "top notch" engine builder where we started. If the engine didn't have any oil pressure why in the world would they release it to a money paying customer (as noted)? This seems a bit unconscionable as they know the customer is going to spend a lot of time, energy and money to put that engine into a vehicle only to find out it doesn't have any oil pressure... Definitely would never get any of my business again not anyone I knew or even met.

Tom Frost

Reaction score
Kind of speaks to the "top notch" engine builder where we started. If the engine didn't have any oil pressure why in the world would they release it to a money paying customer (as noted)? This seems a bit unconscionable as they know the customer is going to spend a lot of time, energy and money to put that engine into a vehicle only to find out it doesn't have any oil pressure... Definitely would never get any of my business again not anyone I knew or even met.
No, the shop primed it and it had oil pressure. Not the shops error. My dumb friends (also engine builders) were the culprits. Spun dizzy wrong (counter-clockwise) causing an air block.

Righty Tighty

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had to go through all this, Tom. But as said before, good info has been shared here, as in what not to do when priming your engine. Did the shop end up putting your engine on the dyno??

budascuda

Reaction score
Sorry to hear you had to go through all this, Tom. But as said before, good info has been shared here, as in what not to do when priming your engine. Did the shop end up putting your engine on the dyno??
That would cost him another 500 mile trip!

As a side note;
"Dumb friends are worse than smart enemies"

It's a quote by me, but anyone is welcome to use it .🤗

Back