• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

hemi cuda question

Cuda416

Reaction score
Back when I was still active in law enforcement I took a class on stolen vehicles. The instructor (a Federal Agent) told us that all U.S. made cars had the V.I.N. stamped somewhere on the frame or unibody that was not disclosed to the general public. He claimed that he could tell if a car had been 'rebadged' and if he found one that had, it was automatically seized and usually destroyed. I certainly wouldn't risk putting my money into that kind of endeavor!
Back in the day, I'm sure the spots weren't known by many people. Now everyone seems to know. That's why documenting such changes would be extremely important if it if there's a question. Could be as simple as a build log showing the new cowl or rad support etc. Of course people will weld the originals in place or stamp new numbers in some cases.

There was an episode on GYC where MW looked over a 70 440-6 car. Turned out to be misrepresented as the engine was not original. That in an of itself could get someone in hot water if it's represented as being the factory engine. This particular engine had been re-stamped rather poorly but the average person would have little clue.

Cuda416

Reaction score
It is only "real" once... Swapping parts, no longer real, but repaired.
Simple logic.

Only reason to ask this question was what the OP asked " What would be the value ?"

The value of a HEMI car vin tag that will never be legal? I'll give $50 and make a nice plaque for it. Otherwise it's worthless.

jim picanzo

Reaction score
ive seen enough.ill but the deal; which is dash vin fender tags build sheet clear title and frame it for my garage,,,

jim picanzo

Reaction score
youll give 50 for a hemi dash tag?im guessing u wont have that hanging on your wall anytime soon

57fury440

Reaction score
Does the seller have the original dash tag, fender tag for the car? If they are available then they should go back on. Keep the hemi tags for conversation pieces and build the car as a clone.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
So grab beer with me and “bear with me,” means “be patient with me.” as I put a log on the fire.
How Insurance Companies Determine if a Car is a Total Loss
Before deciding if the car is a total loss, insurance companies find out how much it would cost to make the repairs. The usual threshold is 70-75%. If the cost gets to this percentage of the value of the car, insurance companies consider the car a total loss.
Factors That Influence the Value of a Totaled Car The Type of Car. The depreciation of the car plays a critical role in the compensation you will receive from the insurance company. Luxury and classic cars receive different cover compared to average cars since their depreciation varies.
The Age of the Vehicle. This is the easiest way for insurance companies to determine the value of the car after it has been totaled. There are several agencies you can approach to get an estimated value of your car should you suffer a total loss today.
The Condition of the Car. This is why the maintenance of your car is critical. Insurance companies do not carry out a superficial analysis of your car. They also consider the condition of the car at the time of the accident. If the car is in poor condition, the value of the car will be much lower.
The Cause of the Accident. If you were responsible, wholly or partially, for the accident, insurance companies will take this into consideration when calculating how much you will receive as compensation. If you have a sentimental attachment to your car, it may be difficult to accept the decision to declare it totaled. However, several factors influence the conclusion of the insurance company. Your car may not be repaired to be safe enough to drive. This is a priority for the insurance company. Just because the car can be fixed does not mean it will be safe for the road. In this case, the insurance company may opt to consider the car a salvage vehicle. The value of your car is lower than the cost of repairs. Now that all being said pay no attention to it. Personal preference and sentimental attachment play a bigger role in rebuilding a car. whether it's a first car or a high dollar car.dollars don't matter.So at what point do you call it reconstruction,repair ,rebuilding or rebodied. You take you slightly damaged car to a body shop they repair it.with new user or repaired parts It's just not original.You take you car to the body shop and rebuild it.with nur parts.It's just not original.you take car to you that has a salvage certificate. you end up with an Rebuild title. If you have a good title and documentation. and it's ratty car their is nothing to say that you can't repair it with new or used or doner parts. As Restoration Garage,Grave yard cars,Overhaulin and others. some may go beyond original spec and need reconstruction title. IT'S Only original once! It's just your good fortune to have ever thing to recreate a piece of art. It's the Semantic. choose you phase correctly. So I hear you have a Hemi Cuda no drivetrain, fender tag dash vin and clean titile. What's worth? What you put into it.maybe.What ever it sells for. IT'S Only original once. Would like to see progress.

moparleo

Reaction score
Only a fender tag (remove with 2 screws) and dash vin (2 rivets) . Cannot be transferred to another car.
Vin numbers are only assigned one time.
Otherwise it is just a fake car. He said the original car was wrecked. Now on a rough car. No part of the original car.
End of story.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
An insurance company Did not pay out damages. or there would be a salvage title.So it's on the owner if they sell it for parts or repair it.He said it's a wreck but I haven't seen it. I have fixed what others consider a total loss. But It's original once! No original drive train. can't clam it original or it wold be misrepresenting and would be fraud. Fender,door,tags and dash usually removed.when restoration is done reinstalled. Other number are more than likely rusted away.and parts replaced. So at what point does one say It's a repair our transfer.have 30% of car? Just an observation Drive trains are a consumable.replaced all the time.main body of the car is personal property with title. With federal regulations. Not talking about stolen cars.

Last edited:

SFEbody

Reaction score
Yea I have also, my Barracuda I am working on and can be see in my restoration blog, was as bad as it gets, I replaced the roof skin, A pillars, cowl, trunk pan and extensions, floor pans, quarters both sides. I saved the cowl stamping and took the advice of those experts here and did not weld in the cowl numbers on the new panel. But, I do have the piece with the matching numbers to give if I ever sell it. My Rad support is original so at least that has numbers. For this build i would NEVER put a VIN on a car that was from another. I mean whats the point if it doesn't match anything else and above all else. IS NOT FOR THAT CAR.

Last edited:

jim picanzo

Reaction score
So grab beer with me and “bear with me,” means “be patient with me.” as I put a log on the fire.
How Insurance Companies Determine if a Car is a Total Loss
Before deciding if the car is a total loss, insurance companies find out how much it would cost to make the repairs. The usual threshold is 70-75%. If the cost gets to this percentage of the value of the car, insurance companies consider the car a total loss.
Factors That Influence the Value of a Totaled Car The Type of Car. The depreciation of the car plays a critical role in the compensation you will receive from the insurance company. Luxury and classic cars receive different cover compared to average cars since their depreciation varies.
The Age of the Vehicle. This is the easiest way for insurance companies to determine the value of the car after it has been totaled. There are several agencies you can approach to get an estimated value of your car should you suffer a total loss today.
The Condition of the Car. This is why the maintenance of your car is critical. Insurance companies do not carry out a superficial analysis of your car. They also consider the condition of the car at the time of the accident. If the car is in poor condition, the value of the car will be much lower.
The Cause of the Accident. If you were responsible, wholly or partially, for the accident, insurance companies will take this into consideration when calculating how much you will receive as compensation. If you have a sentimental attachment to your car, it may be difficult to accept the decision to declare it totaled. However, several factors influence the conclusion of the insurance company. Your car may not be repaired to be safe enough to drive. This is a priority for the insurance company. Just because the car can be fixed does not mean it will be safe for the road. In this case, the insurance company may opt to consider the car a salvage vehicle. The value of your car is lower than the cost of repairs. Now that all being said pay no attention to it. Personal preference and sentimental attachment play a bigger role in rebuilding a car. whether it's a first car or a high dollar car.dollars don't matter.So at what point do you call it reconstruction,repair ,rebuilding or rebodied. You take you slightly damaged car to a body shop they repair it.with new user or repaired parts It's just not original.You take you car to the body shop and rebuild it.with nur parts.It's just not original.you take car to you that has a salvage certificate. you end up with an Rebuild title. If you have a good title and documentation. and it's ratty car their is nothing to say that you can't repair it with new or used or doner parts. As Restoration Garage,Grave yard cars,Overhaulin and others. some may go beyond original spec and need reconstruction title. IT'S Only original once! It's just your good fortune to have ever thing to recreate a piece of art. It's the Semantic. choose you phase correctly. So I hear you have a Hemi Cuda no drivetrain, fender tag dash vin and clean titile. What's worth? What you put into it.maybe.What ever it sells for. IT'S Only original once. Would like to see progress.
Thanks.1st intelligent response

jim picanzo

Reaction score
Thanks for all responses.im all set.my question was.again what would a rebodied hemicuda be worth as a rebodiedhemi cuda.most here tookitas a plan to defraud. .never was the question.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
Thanks for all responses.im all set.my question was.again what would a rebodied hemicuda be worth as a rebodiedhemi cuda.most here tookitas a plan to defraud. .never was the question.
By no means I myself am not condoning a rebody or rebadged. A restoration,repair or reconstruct.Yes. If one has legal documentation and that what constitute a car 20% 30% of of physical car? As long as you legal owner of car and meet the federal and state standards to keep it on the road. One can do what they want. Nothing has ever been carved in stone when you can't,that I know of. It,s a matter of choice of when you give up the ghost. Personal preference and finance? It's only original once! just how critical is original.Day 2 modifications, 1 scratch no longer original?

Last edited:

budascuda

Reaction score
Another problem i see, is regardless of OP's intent, who knows what will happen down the road. He could "rebody" the VIN, then sell it as such. Maybe that's legit maybe it's not, but if he discloses is, lets assume it's legit. The next guy, can easily pass if off as a real hemi car that's had extensive work. The grey area becomes a whole mess at that point. Third person in line thinks they just paid a quarter mill on a true hemi car that started off the line as such.

And THAT's the plan!

Ever wonder, why people never try to "rebody" a slant 6 cuda?

moparleo

Reaction score
OK so what is the value of a Hemi engine, and what is the value of a Barracuda body. Separately not as a " Hemi-Cuda"
A Rebody is an attempt to "revive" the original car which was wrecked and tossed, only the ID info kept.
Like somebody died and than somebody else wants to use their ID. Are they now who the ID says or are they somebody else trying to use the dead persons ID. Why would they do that ?

Last edited:

heminut

Reaction score
OK so what is the value of a Hemi engine, and what is the value of a Barracuda body. Separately not as a " Hemi-Cuda"
A Rebody is an attempt to "revive" the original car which was wrecked and tossed only ID info kept.
Like somebody died and than somebody else wants to use their ID. Are they now who the ID says or are they somebody else trying to use the dead persons ID. Why would they do that ?
This^^^^ right here is exactly how I see it! Great analogy!

budascuda

Reaction score
A Rebody is an attempt to "revive" the original car which was wrecked and tossed only ID info kept.
I thought we knew the answer to that question already!!

The question is;
for how much somebody would do this?

And the answer could be;
200k or 6 months in jail

Last edited:

Cuda416

Reaction score
Thanks.1st intelligent response

Only because you don't seem to want to be told not to reuse the tags in any way shape of form.

If you don't have the original car, or are unwilling to restore THAT car, then all you have is a nice conversation piece, FULL STOP.

You can justify it all you want to YOURSELF, but I'll tell ya what. Bubba in on the top bunk won't care....

Back