• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fuel options for valve seats.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted on the site and my 71 black v6j rt Challenger is still going thru restoration and very close to being back in black. Slight pitting around the rear window caused the vinyl top to be removed but it gotta be done right. Car was amazing bare except for that. Pure solid steel!
My question is without hardened valve seats, I have always ran some VP 110 usually 50/50 mix with premium unleaded and now that it costs 95$ for 5 gallons, I'm looking for alternatives.
I'm thinking either amsoil or royal purple octane booster. They state they are lead substitute and I really am hesitant to use this avenue. Anyone have suggestions? I used lead substitute back in the 80s and pounded the valves up inside the heads within 1st 5-10 k miles. My Challenger is a #s car but I bought and reworked a set of speed master heads so I can cruise on 93 unleaded. I have other assembled motors and don't want to rip them apart. Running 10.2-1 compression 93 should be fine but the dreaded lead deal is messing with my thoughts.

IMG_20220708_141825726_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220708_141802245_HDR.jpg

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
Cheaper to pull the heads and have hardened seats installed.
They wanted 900$ to do that at a reputable machine shop here and I just broke the motor in.
I was wondering if anyone uses the lead substitute such as royal purple or amsoil. They are like 16$ per fill up but Im not sure to trust it. What all do most people do I that situation?
Hardened seats is the way to go but I don't run that motor alot and was tempted to use the additive instead.

moparroy

Reaction score
For what its worth - I asked the guy who did the machine work on my 360 about that (1974 original engine). I was more concerned because it has '69 340 X heads. He did replace 4 exhaust valves but I don't think he replaced any seats. He said if I was racing the car might be a different story but for an occasional driver he did not feel it was an issue if the seats were in decent shape. I had read in other places that early Mopar seats could handle it. Guess we will see. This fellow does a lot of work for dealerships in town - and I know his brother - together they had built a 10s car so he has a good reputation - several recommendations I had received too.

MerlinsMopars

Reaction score
For what its worth - I asked the guy who did the machine work on my 360 about that (1974 original engine). I was more concerned because it has '69 340 X heads. He did replace 4 exhaust valves but I don't think he replaced any seats. He said if I was racing the car might be a different story but for an occasional driver he did not feel it was an issue if the seats were in decent shape. I had read in other places that early Mopar seats could handle it. Guess we will see. This fellow does a lot of work for dealerships in town - and I know his brother - together they had built a 10s car so he has a good reputation - several recommendations I had received too.
I have a set of 69 x heads and ruined them in 5k miles by just running unleaded premium and a cheap lead substitute. Granted, there was higher spring psi involved but man, they were pro ported and I don't want to go thru that again.The heads on it now are j heads with 2.02s which were originally 1.88s with a pocket and runner port match. The machine shop told me to run the race fuel in a mix for lead and I was dealing with it till the gas crunch. I was only paying 9$ a gallon last year which still is steep but guess most people either pay it or pay in the end. I was hoping some were using the max booster or amsoil regularly without issue as the norm now. Thanks for the reply.

ted s

Reaction score
neither of those boosters boost anything

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
They wanted 900$ to do that at a reputable machine shop here and I just broke the motor in.
I was wondering if anyone uses the lead substitute such as royal purple or amsoil. They are like 16$ per fill up but Im not sure to trust it. What all do most people do I that situation?
Hardened seats is the way to go but I don't run that motor alot and was tempted to use the additive instead.
$900? That is crazy. I had the heads of a '71 440 done for $18 per seat. Only exhaust seats needed doing. I pulled the heads and handed them to my machinist (this guy built race engines). He removed the keepers, valves and springs, checked the guides and reinstalled the valves and springs. Since I was changing out the cam, he charged for additional work to allow the matching springs to be installed. This was 10 years ago, but it shouldn't cost 9x as much.

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
$900 / 32 = 28.12 per stellite exhaust valve seat and per replace all with bronze guides.grind valve and lap,grind intake seat or cut 3 angle on all seats. cut valve guide for viton seal, hot tank,clean,flux and surface the head. and assemble.+ parts.call around. sounds a little high.Just might be the new norm.

Last edited:

Raycuda

Reaction score
There is a place called "Wild Bill Corvettes", located at 2917 S. Atlantic Ave. Daytona Beach FL, 32118. They sell a product called Octane Supreme, which is real Tetra Ethyl Lead, not a substitute. www.wildbillscorvette.com I've been using it for years.
QtyDescription
Price each

1Quart metal can Plus Shipping$24.95

1Case Quart metal cans (6 ea.) Plus Shipping$145.00

Multiple case pricing below reflects lower shipping costs
QtyDescription

Price each

1Quart metal can Plus Shipping$24.95

1Case Quart metal cans (6 ea.) Plus Shipping$145.00

Multiple case pricing below reflects lower shipping costs

2Cases Quart metal cans (6ea.) (2X6 = 12 total) Plus Shipping$290.00

3Cases Quart metal cans (6ea.) (3X6 = 18 total) Plus Shipping$435.00