• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Carpet Installation

Mopar-Maniac

Reaction score
Hello - I have been working on the interior of my 70 Challenger 318 with console/slap stik - Red on Red. I purchased new carpet from Auto Custom Carpets. My question pertains to removing the front seats. What is the best, most efficient way to remove the front seats so I can install the carpet? Can I remove the front seats from the inside or do I have to get access to the chassis under the car to remove them? I have the rear seat removed and all other interior parts/console/kick panels removed. Appreciate any help and advice. Thank you.

WDO72

Reaction score
It's a fairly straight forward process. There are 4 captured nuts underneath the floor pan for each front seat. Slide underneath the car, remove the four nuts for each bucket seat, and lift the seats from the car. Have fun!!

Mopar-Maniac

Reaction score
Thanks for you help. When I looked at the schematic for the interior, it looked like I would need to get under the car to remove the seats. However, I do not have a lift or ramps at this point, so I was hoping there may be a way to remove them from the inside - from the adjustment rails. I think I will get some jack stands and put the car up on all four points. Should make it much easier to access.

rogue

Reaction score
you can actually reach the bolts without jacking the car up

MoparCarGuy

Reaction score
Service manual diagram and seat nut type/size
E-Body Front Seat Replacement.jpg

moparroy

Reaction score
Yea easy peasy - no jack required - and you definitely need to remove those nuts on the underside as they hold the tracks on top of the carpet - you need those tracks out to work on the carpet

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
be careful cutting around the shifter, make minimal cuts to get the carpet to sit flat , you can always trim extra off , harder to add back on !

Mopar-Maniac

Reaction score
be careful cutting around the shifter, make minimal cuts to get the carpet to sit flat , you can always trim extra off , harder to add back on !
Yes, I have been thinking the same thing. Whoever installed the current carpet, messed up around the headlight dimmer and the sill plates. I am going to take my time and make small alterations until I get a good fit. Thanks for the heads up.

Back