• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Fender alignment

Cory

Reaction score
I have aligned my doors to the quarters and my fenders to the doors. The hood has been adjusted to the fenders. The issue I have is that when I close the hood, the front of the hood sits up about 3/8” on both sides. The back of the hood sits where it should. I suspect that the hood might possibly be hitting the radiator which is aftermarket. The previous owner had modified radiator support to fit 26” radiator rather than using the bracket. The radiator cap sits above the radiator support maybe about 1/2 to 1”. I know it’s hitting something because the front of the hood isn’t even touching the bumpers. There is currently no shim between the inner fenders and the fenders themselves. Is it possible to shim the fenders that high without moving the body lines that far? I was thinking about just shimming front halves of the fenders to sit at the right height. What’s your guys thoughts?

Adam

Reaction score
Can you put your phone on the engine and take a pic or video to confirm the radiator neck is hitting the hood? If it is I would change the radiator for the correct one. 3/8 worth of shims! Uh, no…

rklein71

Reaction score
My aluminum radiator sits a solid inch above the core support and the stock twin scoop hood fits fine. This is the best picture I have showing the height of the radiator.

IMG_4626.JPG

tonysrt

Reaction score
To be sure, put some clay on the high spot and close hood gently.

Cory

Reaction score
I recorded some videos and didn’t see it hitting anywhere(hinges, inner fender, air cleaner, radiator) It is tight on the rubber bumpers that guide the hood though.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Challenger RTA

Reaction score
This might be a help.
The measurements are with in an 1/8.
20180726_093813.jpg

20180726_093410.jpg

20180726_093646.jpg

20180726_093627.jpg

20180726_093853.jpg

20180726_094452.jpg

Something simple hood latch?

Last edited:

Cory

Reaction score
I put some playdoh on the radiator cap and it didn’t make contact. Rules that out. I think I’m going to take out the hood bumpers, drop the hood latch, unbolt and lower the radiator, and pull the hood alignment bumpers. If it still does it then, what do you guys think about either a bent hood or maybe still needing to adjust the hood somehow to get the front to drop down? I messed with the hood a little bit earlier and was able to get the hood to come down to about 3/16” above the fender at the front.

Daves69

Reaction score
Can you push the front corners down to the fender? When you push down on one side what does the other side do?

Cory

Reaction score
Can you push the front corners down to the fender? When you push down on one side what does the other side do?
Yeah I can push each side down and the other side rises. When I let off pressure, they return to 3/16” gap on both sides.

73Machine

Reaction score
I second that on checking your latch and adjust as necessary. Also check your front bumpers and adjust the screws on them as necessary.

Cory

Reaction score
I second that on checking your latch and adjust as necessary. Also check your front bumpers and adjust the screws on them as necessary.
That was it. My latch was too high and the bumpers were too low. It’s not perfect, but it is way better. It’s about an 1/8” high now on both sides rather than 3/8”. Now I have a starting point to adjust at. Thanks for the help guys.

Back