• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 Dodge Chalenger For Sale!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moparleo

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope everything works out for you. Many years ago I was given a 69 Cornet 400 as payment for some engine work I did. Same problem with a bill of sale. After six months of headaches and trying to track down the last 3 owners because the car had not been registered in 10 years, it turned out that the car was a trade in at a dealer but was never reregistered. The dealer was now out of business and since he had the original pink slip still in his possession, he wanted the car back or for me to buy it from him. Well I gave the car back to the guy that gave it to me and learned a lesson.

Bill

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leo.
Did the guy pay you for the engine work when you gave him his car back?
I hope everything works out for you. Many years ago I was given a 69 Cornet 400 as payment for some engine work I did. Same problem with a bill of sale. After six months of headaches and trying to track down the last 3 owners because the car had not been registered in 10 years, it turned out that the car was a trade in at a dealer but was never reregistered. The dealer was now out of business and since he had the original pink slip still in his possession, he wanted the car back or for me to buy it from him. Well I gave the car back to the guy that gave it to me and learned a lesson.

jeff968

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also data tags said per alabama law they could make me the correct vin plate as long as I had the proper paper work which will not be a problem from what I was told today.

Good deal. That is the cleanest way to go. And we're talk a 6 cylinder challenger here, not a hemi convertible. Good luck. It has to be a rare one in FJ6 with a 6 cylinder.

ramenth

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also data tags said per alabama law they could make me the correct vin plate as long as I had the proper paper work which will not be a problem from what I was told today.

Houston, we have a problem. I have information in my hands that says otherwise.

Pending a further investigation on this, the thread is now closed.

ramenth

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, guys, threads now back open.

Before anyone gets an idea in his or her head that there's something wrong with the car, there isn't.

I wanted to verify with datatags about a new VIN plate, this is what they said:

We DO NOT make tags like this indiscriminately If you want to involve the police, if the car is not created from
parts or a lesser vehicle, if the number is stamped on the frame, engine,tranny, body etc. If the number has been run in all 50 states and no one else has a title to the same number,
and it’s not on a stolen list we might be willing to make a vin tag. We do NOT advertise this service and we don’t like people speaking for us.

If it’s a hemi cuda, 440x6, lightweight aluminum car, 60 edsel convertible, 57 F-Bird, Boss Mustang 429 or similar rarity we probably won’t touch it without lots and lots
of documentation.

That's where the issue lay.

I believe Hunter is doing everything on this car get it clean, even taking all the legal steps on his end, and is honestly trying to ensure the future owner will have no issues with the car. But I didn't want anyone to labor under the belief that there may be a chance to get a new VIN stamped that would make it match the numbers on the body without all the criteria listed in the email.

I do want to point out that Hunter has said, in this thread, the car has been taken off the for sale block until he can get all the legal ends tied up. That, to me, speaks of his honesty in the matter as he will have legal paperwork to produce once the car is made available again.

Hunter, I apologize for the somewhat dramatic way the thread was closed, but it was done also to alert the members who have been following this thread that some things needed to be clarified. I take full responsibility. It also lets members know that datatags might be a dead end on projects of his or her own or other projects which may pop up.

Personally, from my point of view, it's no big deal on the numbers as long as the car comes back with clean numbers and doesn't show up on a stolen vehicle report. I can't speak of the laws in other states, but I know in NY all the DMV cares about it is the number in the dash. I'm personally sitting on a car that has no data plate, no broadcast sheet, the numbers on the dash don't match the numbers on the body and my old man and I built it that way. The VIN tag on the dash and the VIN sticker are the only things there which denote it as being a 318 '74 Barracuda.

I appreciate our membership helping Hunter out on this matter with all the suggestions. I will caution everyone that a non-matching VIN and body numbers don't necessarily denote something is wrong with the car. Again, I'll point it out for those reading: as long as the numbers on the body and the number on the VIN tag on this particular car come back clean it shouldn't be a big deal. While it may be a rarity these days to have the opportunity to buy a slant powered E-body, is anyone really going to buy this car to do a concourse quality restoration on it? And if anyone is interested in buying the car they don't need to take Hunter's word alone for it. He or she can verify the numbers through his or her own research before making the decision to buy. (Run the numbers yourself through your own local constabulary.)

Now, I'm turning the thread back over to Hunter so he can give you guys all the details on what he's doing on his end to ensure a clean sale.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again! It's understandable everything that went down. More to protect members because there are people out there that will screw someone over. I won't have a day to go to the probate office till maybe later this week. I just started a new job and will be on the road during Monday through Friday. Thanks again everyone for the help!

rhamson

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The numbers that match the title with the cowl and radiator support are the most important. If they don't match and you try to register it in Maryland they will impound the car.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Florida will do the same. You must have the cowl, VIN numbers, and title matching. They don't know or care about VIN numbers being on the fender tag. The exception to this is if the car has a state issued VIN tag from any state. If you are interested in this car, know the laws of your state before buying it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update: I took the car on the trailer to the DMV. They ran both vin numbers and neither came back stolen or have been registered recently. After I showed them the vin stamping on the fender tag, rad support, and driver door sticker, they determined the best thing to do would be to register the car into the correct vin number which matches the rest of the stampings.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did they find out what the complete VIN was that was stamped on the car? Not all of the VIN is on the body. Are they giving you a VIN to match the body?

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically I explained the problem, they inputted both numbers and after everything came back ok they asked which way I would like to go about it. They said given the age it was fine to register it in the correct vin and datatags could make the vin as long as it was "period" correct. So that is the route I went. Waiting for the plate to come in....

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool. I'm glad it worked out. Now it will never cause you a problem when you sell it. Most people don't even try to clear it up and they pass it on the the next guy.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't do that not knowing it's past. It is cleared up, just waiting on the vin tag to come in. My question now is should I not install the new vin tag since the dash needs a new cover and restored? I figured someone would want to renew it before installation....

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would install it if the dash pad is easy to get to. It is much harder to lose a tag when it is attached to a pad.

jfreakofkorn

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would attach on the dash ( as mentioned from our member ) and you would not have a problem losing it

i dislike at when things are everywhere and your trying to remember at where you left it ...

im glad that everything is going smoothly, in getting the paperwork straight on it :)

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Car is back for sale! I have the matching VIN registration (all Alabama will give on a car this old), dash vin tag now matches the registration (courtesy of data tags) and all of the body (JH23B0B430596). $4,500 Or Best Offer! I will be back in town Thursday night or Friday morning and will take pictures of the VIN etc. or if anyone wants anymore pictures. Thanks!

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still for sale! Need it gone, make offers! Here is some more pictures!
20140620_152640_zpstsylevnb.jpg

20140620_152208_zpsknnpb32x.jpg

20140620_152111_zpshuseiypo.jpg

20140620_152136_zps8kr0s5yd.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back