• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

73 Barracuda RustBucket

jreardanz

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forums. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this,but.. I just purchased a 73 Barracuda. I've wanted a Barracuda for over 20 years and I finally found one I could afford. Unfortunately when I started tearing it apart and getting down to the shell I've realized the rust is much worse than I thought. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. It needs rear frame rails ,trunk pans, front and rear floor pans, and front inner fender wells. So really the whole frame needs reconstructed. I'm pretty damned determined to do it. Just wondering if anyone else has tackled this big of a project and where you started. Build a jig? What order should I weld up the pieces in? I've also considered maybe making a full frame for it. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

20150920_135755_resized.jpg
20150920_135813_resized.jpg
20150920_135920_resized.jpg
20150920_140215_resized.jpg

20150920_135755_resized.jpg

20150920_135813_resized.jpg

20150920_135920_resized.jpg

20150920_140215_resized.jpg

challenger6pak

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Do you have pics of the rest of the car? From what I can see you may have a parts car. Other pics may put the car in a different light. It most likely is not worth the effort to restore it. Do you have a build sheet? Fender tag? If so post pics.

Last edited:

jreardanz

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Do you have pics of the rest of the car? From what I can see you may have a parts car. Other pics may put the car in a different light. It most likely is not worth the effort to restore it. Do you have a build sheet? Fender tag? If so post pics.

Thanks. Most of the outer panels that I pulled off were in pretty decent shape. As far as using it for parts, most of the restorable Barracudas, that I have seen (that I can afford), have at least the same trunk and rear frame rails rust damage. So I think it may be cheaper to build the "frame" from the ground up. I don't see anything legible on the fender tags. I have the car almost completely apart and haven't found a buildsheet yet either.

moparleo

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Find a friend who has replaced this type of sheetmetal before. Otherwise, trial by fire. Not a good project to learn on if this is your first resto. You can always farm out the heavy metal work to a good body shop.

Adam

Reaction score
If you can afford replacement sheet metal, you can probably find a better shell to start with. There will be unexpected problems too, roof, firewall ect. calculate the cost of the metal, and the labor,if you have someone else do it, and you can decide from there.

rhamson

Reaction score
Hey, I'm new to the forums. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this,but.. I just purchased a 73 Barracuda. I've wanted a Barracuda for over 20 years and I finally found one I could afford. Unfortunately when I started tearing it apart and getting down to the shell I've realized the rust is much worse than I thought. I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. It needs rear frame rails ,trunk pans, front and rear floor pans, and front inner fender wells. So really the whole frame needs reconstructed. I'm pretty damned determined to do it. Just wondering if anyone else has tackled this big of a project and where you started. Build a jig? What order should I weld up the pieces in? I've also considered maybe making a full frame for it. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

View attachment 22743
View attachment 22744
View attachment 22745
View attachment 22746

View attachment 22743

View attachment 22744

View attachment 22745

View attachment 22746

rhamson

Reaction score
If this is your first bodywork job you will need to establish a jig that will locate the structural components and start from there. Tear out only what you need to install these components and avoid final welding until you have all the panels and doors re-installed. If you are on a low buck budget this is the only way unless you can wait and scrape together enough for a pro to do it. The major thing you have to determine is what you wish to invest in it and what you expect to get out of it. '73 Barracudas don't bring much on the market so you will have to determine if you are in love with the car to put this much effort into it.

jreardanz

Reaction score
If this is your first bodywork job you will need to establish a jig that will locate the structural components and start from there. Tear out only what you need to install these components and avoid final welding until you have all the panels and doors re-installed. If you are on a low buck budget this is the only way unless you can wait and scrape together enough for a pro to do it. The major thing you have to determine is what you wish to invest in it and what you expect to get out of it. '73 Barracudas don't bring much on the market so you will have to determine if you are in love with the car to put this much effort into it.

Hey, thanks for replying. I've done a little bodywork years ago. Used to work on Hot Rods, and always wanted a barracuda. Didn't realize what I was getting into with this one until I got it all torn down. I've been going round and round on what to do with this one for a while now. I have been toying with the idea of making a custom frame and placing the body on top of it. Now that I've got it all the way down I'm concerned about the integrity of the frame-rails themselves. I really just wanna make a driver, so I don't care so much about the restoration value. One of my main reasons for doin the custom frame is because I'm not even sure about the alignment as it stands right now. Kinda hate to just trash it because I've got 5k in it, which puts a big hurt on me if I try to get another.

rhamson

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for replying. I've done a little bodywork years ago. Used to work on Hot Rods, and always wanted a barracuda. Didn't realize what I was getting into with this one until I got it all torn down. I've been going round and round on what to do with this one for a while now. I have been toying with the idea of making a custom frame and placing the body on top of it. Now that I've got it all the way down I'm concerned about the integrity of the frame-rails themselves. I really just wanna make a driver, so I don't care so much about the restoration value. One of my main reasons for doin the custom frame is because I'm not even sure about the alignment as it stands right now. Kinda hate to just trash it because I've got 5k in it, which puts a big hurt on me if I try to get another.

rhamson

Reaction score
Making your own frame is an option if you are confident with your abilities but I would try to stay with what is available to replace what should be there. The economics of an aftermarket frame is out of the question at around ten grand. You will absolutely need a frame jig which will locate the positioning of the frame members. Do you have the room and resources to build the jig?

jreardanz

Reaction score
Making your own frame is an option if you are confident with your abilities but I would try to stay with what is available to replace what should be there. The economics of an aftermarket frame is out of the question at around ten grand. You will absolutely need a frame jig which will locate the positioning of the frame members. Do you have the room and resources to build the jig?

Yes luckily, I do have the room and the welding/fabricating skills.

Back