• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Headliner Replacement for 1973 Dodge Challenger

montanamopar

Reaction score
Do you need to remove the glass to replace headliner on a 1973 Challenger? Can it done by yourself or is it best to let an a Upholstery shop do it? Anyone out there have any ideas that could give me some help?? Thanks!!!

js29

Reaction score
not much of an upholstery guy! but I do know the glass dose not have to come out. as far as doing it yourself go's depends on your skill level.

rklein71

Reaction score
I did my headliner in my 69 383-s with the glass in and it wasn't that hard. You will need to set the headliner in the sun to get in more pliable. Mark the centerlines of the headliner front and back with chalk and then mark the centerline in the windshield frames. I put in the small screws in first and let them stick out a little bit, it makes it easier to find the holes for mounting the mirror, visors, etc.

Line up the marks in the center and work your way out stretching the headliner as you go. Sides glue in last. A heat gun/hair dryer can be used to help any wrinkles free up.

Bill

Reaction score
Oh, Oh!!! I can answer this!!
It is very possible. I did mine last summer and it came out great. My glass was out but I don't see any reason why you can't replace it with it in. You will need to take off all the trim, pillar covers, shoulder strap holders, clothes hanger hooks and rear interior side panels. A hair drier or heat gun helps but be careful using it so you don't burn the liner. I used carpet padding on the ceiling. Pay attention the the rods as they are different lengths. This was one project on my restoration that I was pretty proud of when it was finished. I referred to this youtube video. I always say if a picture is worth a thousand words a movie is worth million. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1j8QbkHLZc

montanamopar

Reaction score
That sounds Great! Not sure of my skill level but it sounds like not to big of a deal. I have everything out of the car so it might go well. Maybe with 2 people inside it might be easier,not sure. Just don't want to ruin a headliner doing it! Thanks for your Help!!

montanamopar

Reaction score
Thanks for the help!! I saw this video with the glass out and wondered if that way the way to go. I want to do it right and don't want to ruin a new headliner for sure! Maybe with 2 people inside this stripped out Challenger it would go well, will think about it!!

Bill

Reaction score
I gotta be honest with you I screwed up my first headliner and had to use a 2nd one. It was a dumb ass move on my part but thought I would share so you do not do the same thing. I laid the head liner out on the living room floor to cut my listings slits for the supports to go through. There was one more fold that I did not notice in the listing and I wound up cutting a slit in the head liner as well. “DOOPH”!!. I guess my advice would be to make darn sure you are only cutting the listing and the headliner along with it because of the way it is folded for shipping. Lucky for me I purchased a 74 parts car shortly after I purchased my project car and both cars came with a new headliner kit. Take your time, good luck and don’t be a “Bill”. (lol)

rklein71

Reaction score
My thought when I did my 383-s was that I could mess up several headliners and still save money.

montanamopar

Reaction score
Nice link!
That is a nice link! I did see that all the glass is out of it. I was wondering if you could use close pins to hold the liner in place or try to get those clamps they show, there must be enough room to clamp liner I'm hoping without removing the glass. Guess I will find out,ha ha !

Adam

Reaction score
I am a do it yourself guy... did my headliner, and next time will pay someone else to do it...

montanamopar

Reaction score
I am a do it yourself guy... did my headliner, and next time will pay someone else to do it...
Thanks Adam but I'm curious why you wouldn't do another one? I had an(auto upholstery shop) estimate for $300 plus and I already bought the headliner and insulation and have removed the seats and old carpet. So I figure for the $$$ I will give it a shot. I can ruin at least one of these liners trying and still be $$ ahead, ha ha !!

Adam

Reaction score
Just a complete PITA... my windows were in. Get some good glue and lots of small clamps.

Marty.

Reaction score
Instead of spray glue I use 3M Weather stripping glue. I apply it with a small acid brush on both the headliner and flange. It's much easier to manage. Follow the instruction's.
I also instead of using those small clamp's, I use wind lace cut up in 3-4 inch section's. Wind lace is used in Classic Mustang interior's to finish off the panel edge's. It will clamp the headliner much tighter than those clip's. They will not fall off.

Pictured is a 1969 GTO headliner that I'm installing. The (white) wind lace can be seen on the back, front and driver's side edge of the headliner. The passenger side is not pulled tight yet.

I also use the screw trick. Much easier to find the screw's than looking for the hole's.

2prh9hk.gif

Last edited:

montanamopar

Reaction score
Thanks for the great photo and information. Never heard of wind lace clamps before. I thought if the glass was out it would be much easier to clamp on to since I thought the liner might attach under the glass but I haven't pulled the old liner out yet, waiting for warmer weather here in Montana. As far as the screw trick are you referring to leaving the screws in when installing the new liner then cutting a small slit to remove them which I have read in other posts? I'm going to give it shot soon, just didn't know what I might be getting into. All seats and carpet removed already. I just wasn't sure of removing glass and how and what I could clamp the new liner on to having never removed one before. Again thanks for your great help and information Marty !!

montanamopar

Reaction score
Dah!! Didn't know that what they call that rubber/vinyl stripping..wind lace!! Ordered a few feet to use in the place of clamps!! Great idea Marty !!

Marty.

Reaction score
Thanks for the great photo and information. Never heard of wind lace clamps before. I thought if the glass was out it would be much easier to clamp on to since I thought the liner might attach under the glass but I haven't pulled the old liner out yet, waiting for warmer weather here in Montana. As far as the screw trick are you referring to leaving the screws in when installing the new liner then cutting a small slit to remove them which I have read in other posts? I'm going to give it shot soon, just didn't know what I might be getting into. All seats and carpet removed already. I just wasn't sure of removing glass and how and what I could clamp the new liner on to having never removed one before. Again thanks for your great help and information Marty !!

Yep, that's the ticket!

Back