• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Going to a Swap meet- Where do I measure Diff lengths

John Be

Reaction score
There is a Springfield, Mo Swap Meet this weekend and I'm on the hunt for a Dana 60 or 8 3/4 rear. Where do I take the measurement to determine if it will fit my 1970 Barracuda.

TC_cuda gave me this info, E body rear end- E Body 70-'74= 46" between spring perches and B body B Body 68 - 70= 44" - 71 - 74 = 47.3"

He says at the spring perches, is that the center of the pad or outside end-end or is it measured at back of backing plate or from axle to axle.

If I'm also looking for a B-Body rear (to fit wider tires) how do I know if it is a B-body and how do you tell what is the difference between a B-body or and E-body.

Thanks all for your time and help!!!

John Be

Reaction score
Wow moparleo, great information, thanks so much!
Anybody going to this Swap Meet?

John Be

Reaction score
When measuring axle flange to axle flange, where is the measurement, on the outside or inside of the flange?

If I come across a Dana 60, I know I can relocate the spring perches, but how do you decide what overall length to get. Is there a particular one that bolts to an E-Body? Would I need the axle flange measurement for that?

Is all Dana 60's the same or is there a difference between a truck and car?

If also hunting for a Dana 60, what are some keys points?

Thank you!!

Steve340

Reaction score
You measure from the outside of the flange were it is machined for the brake drum.
A pair of straight edges makes the job easier.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
john be ... did you get all the info you needed? The measurements for the pads is center to center, but as you said, you can weld on new ones. A Dana is a great rear end, but, I really like my 8 3/4. I have 4 "pig's" for it, a 2.76, 3.23, 3.55 and 4.56 and I can change one in about an hour. An 8 3/4 is not as strong, but if you run street tires they last forever and can take a bit of abuse at the track even if you put on a set of sticky tires.

As you can see I'm a fan of the 8 3/4, but remember, This is just my 2 cents Let us know what you get....

John Be

Reaction score
Yeah TC_Cuda I did get all the info, Thanks!
I have no problem myself using a 8 3/4 I just wanted to be armed with the Dana rear info as well. I building a stroked 440 and a beefed up 727. I appreciate all of your help!!!

Steve340

Reaction score
john be ... did you get all the info you needed? The measurements for the pads is center to center, but as you said, you can weld on new ones. A Dana is a great rear end, but, I really like my 8 3/4. I have 4 "pig's" for it, a 2.76, 3.23, 3.55 and 4.56 and I can change one in about an hour. An 8 3/4 is not as strong, but if you run street tires they last forever and can take a bit of abuse at the track even if you put on a set of sticky tires.

As you can see I'm a fan of the 8 3/4, but remember, This is just my 2 cents Let us know what you get....

I agree unless you are going to give it a real battering save your money and get the 8 and 3/4.
As strong as 9 inch Ford and will rob far less power from your engine than the super heavy Dana.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
John Be .... Did you make it to the swap meet? Any luck finding a rear end?

John Be

Reaction score
Unfortuantely NO! Any suggestions.
It was a beautiful day and nice to walk around, but everything was mostly GM or Camaro. I guess not many Mopar guys in my neck of the woods.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
My best suggestion is patients. Just keep looking. If you have more money than time, you can order from many sources, and that's not a bad way to go, as you get good , new, and rebuilt parts... just something to think about

71Plym

Reaction score
I used a stock e-body width Dana from Dr. Diff. Springs offset. Custom backspace steel wheels. 295/65 tires. Everything fits snug with no rubbing.
8.75 will work until you get traction, then you may have problems. The Dana was marginally more expensive than a reinforced 8.75, so I went that way.
090624 cuda 04.jpg

John Be

Reaction score
71Plym- Your car looks Great with that stance!

I personally want the body to sit a little lower with a 295 tire or wider and do not want to worried about hitting the 1/4 panel lip, so do you think a B body rear is what I'm needing?

What was your backspace?

71Plym

Reaction score
71Plym- Your car looks Great with that stance!

I personally want the body to sit a little lower with a 295 tire or wider and do not want to worried about hitting the 1/4 panel lip, so do you think a B body rear is what I'm needing?

What was your backspace?
John, I have found that every car is different. I did lots of measuring and test fitting before anything was finalized. I used hemi style springs with 1" over from ESPO, and they are offset inboard 1". I ran string lines and plumb bobs to make sure things would not hit the quarter panel. I have steel cop rims widened to 8" with custom offset to fit my combination. Offset is in the order of 4.5". A B body rear is about 2" narrower, so you gain about 1" per side. I made that up with my wheel offset. The advantage of a B body rear is that the spring pads will match up with 1" inboard springs on a E body. If you don't weld, then a B body rear may bolt in. My rear was entirely new and made for my car so I was not worried about spring pad location.
IMO, you probably don't really need a B body rear. However, do lots of measuring of your car before final install. Also given the cost of an original dana, I would suggest using aftermarket like a Strange 60, or modify a truck dana to fit your car.

Last edited:

John Be

Reaction score
Nice info 71Plym, Thank you.

Out of curiosity, If I was looking at a truck Dana 60, what am I looking for? Such as what years, Vehicle Mfg's etc...
Would the tubes need to be cut or does the rear come in lengths of 44" or 46".

71Plym

Reaction score
Not certain on exact years, but Dana 60 came in many 80s and 90s 3/4 ton dodge trucks and vans. A truck Dana will be wider than a car unit, so you can narrow it to fit your application. Tubes stay in but the ends get cut off and replaced with new ends. Truck/van units typically do not have a mounting for a pinion snubber. Of course you will need to sort out axles, gear set, etc. A good diff guy can help you out, or call Dr. Diff. He did both of mine.
Comp Engineering Rear Axle Housing Ends

Back