• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Continuing cooling issues

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Decided to start a new thread for continuing my cooling problem solving. For reference this is the original thread that was resolved as far as that radiator vendor.

Need new radiator what are your opinions on these?

I finally ran the car in idle (this is without a fan shroud) again this morning after disconnecting the vacuum advance hose and plugging the distributor and carburetor stems for 15 minutes and it stayed at 180 for most of that time except right at the end it climbed to 195 and so I just shut it down. Normally, before disconnecting the vacuum advance it would have hit 210-230 by that time????
I noticed that at first the oil pressure was about 75 psi when first started cold then stayed at around 60-65 for quite a while until the car started to go beyond 180 at which time the oil pressure slowly went down to about 38 psi as the water temp increased in tandem??

Anyway, I will take it out for a drive soon and see what it does on my way to change the "break in" oil and replace it with regular oil and see how much that helps if at all.

I know this is still too early at least for me to formulate any ideas but any insights from you more knowledgeable guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Steve340

Reaction score
38 psi oil pressure at idle is more then enough so long as it builds to 60 to 65 psi when the engine rpm goes up.
Oil pressure will go lower when the oil gets truly warmed up and becomes thinner.
I had an old 327 Chev that idled at 10 psi and only ran to 45 psi and that old girl ran sweet for years.
If the engine runs at the thermostat temp on the open road you probably have not much of a problem.
Most older cars suffer from lack of airflow at low speeds.
Minimum fit a correctly spaced shroud or better fit a grunty electric fan and shroud setup.

moparlee

Reaction score
I agree with Steve. Your oil pressure at hot idle is ok. 195 temp at idle without a shroud and no air flow probably not a problem either especially with no air flow. Get your shroud on and drive it and see what it does. You should also be running a clutch fan. What t-stat do you have and what is your total timing at?

Canuck74

Reaction score
The shroud and fan are going to help most at slow speeds and when you are stopped and idling. Getting a fan shroud is going to help the fan pull air through the rad at these slow speeds significantly.

Adam

Reaction score
I am concerned that you need to disconnect the vacuum advance at idle.. I would verify your total advance. Hook up a timing light with an advance dial, dial it to 34-36 degrees. Unhook the vac advance and rev it up 2500 - 3000 rpm. The timing mark should show TDC and not creep up as rpms climb. If it does, adjust the dist. until you have 34-36 degrees total (initial and mechanical advance). Leave the timing there and do not be concerned with the timing at idle; afterwards, plug your vac advance back in to a manifold source, not ported. Sorry if you have already done this, I write these detailed explanations for others who might view this thread.

Also, check your plugs after idling and see if you are running too lean. You may just need to open up the idle mixture a little; this should not effect drivability but if the engine diesels when you shut it off you have gone too far.

What kind of fan are you running? often when running a clutch fan they just don't do a good job, especially if you left it horizontally on a shelf for a long time, some of the fluid can leak out.

Lastly, check your lower radiator hose is not collapsing from suction, one of my cars was doing this because the replacement hose had no spring inside.

Last edited:

aussiemark

Reaction score
If the engine has just been rebuilt (it sounds like it has) it will run a bit hot until it beds in and the running in oil isn't as slippery as normal oil so that won't help either. Don't let it idle for too long as this won't be good for your new cam and lifters, get it out on the road and give it an oil and filter change asap the assembly lube tends to clog the oil filter.

MoparcudaRay

Reaction score
Thank you all for your expert advice. I will be doing most of the suggestions in the next couple of weeks. This is a great community response and I appreciate the help. Thanks again

Back