• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Bulge Hood Emblem Installation

Daves70Chall

Reaction score
New to this site, all lot of great information for E bodies. I have been working on a 70 Challenger for a few years and getting down to details. The engine call-out emblem on the bulge hood seems to require either special tools or someone with much more dexterity than I have. One of the nuts is completely hidden behind a brace and the other you can see but looks like you need a specially bent wrench or something to tighten it. Is this easier than I am trying to make it or is there a certain way to install these emblems?
Thanks for any help.

michael

Reaction score
When I installed mine I drilled the two holes and ran into the same issue as you...in MY opinion itsimpossible to install the nut behind the brace. I put them on by using a little epoxy glue and installed the nut on the one that was accessible. That was 4 plus years ago and it is tight as a tick.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
The studs have nylon sleeves that go into the hood holes with the emblem and hold it into place. The best example I can think of is from household products. For drywall you have nylon sleeves that you mount into the drywall. You can put screws in these to hold things to the drywall. As you tighten the screws, the sleeves expand and tighten their grip on the drywall. It is the same with the nylon sleeves for the emblems. They tighten to the hood as you push the emblem into place.

michael

Reaction score
I remember that was a anxious moment drilling the holes in my freshly painted hood! I cannot recall where I purchased the 440 Magnum emblems but I do remember they were of non asian origins and had what I call speed nuts on the studs. I figured at the factory the UAW had some people with tiny hands who specialized in this procedure. (Sarcasm)

Daves70Chall

Reaction score
So, apparently there are some nylon sleeves that can be purchased to reinstall these? I have thought about two way adhesive or epoxy but wanted to have options if they ever had to be removed again.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
I looked on line for them last night so I could post a pic. I couldn't find them. Most of the parts I work with are NOS and they have the sleeves on them. I'm going to run into the same problem in the future myself with some emblems I have. I know some people. I'll ask. There has to be a place to get them.

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You are welcome. The fat clip end goes to the emblem. I put the clips in the hood first and then put the emblem on the hood. Be very careful when you push the emblem in. Keep it even when going into the clips. Many emblems have been broken between the engine number and the letters because they were put in unevenly. I use a block of wood that I have felt stapled to. It pushes the emblems in evenly. If your holes are slightly off they will break the emblems also because the pins are being stretched apart or pushed together as you mount the emblem. If your holes are too big, the clips won't work. Let us know how it works out.

Daves70Chall

Reaction score
Good idea and great advice regarding the block, these are factory holes, so hopefully they will line up ok.

Challenger1973

Reaction score
I have a hood with no holes for the 340 emblem. Can someone measure from the back of the hood forward to the emblem for me. i will be using double sided tape.

rbbruno3

Reaction score
I was just going to order some to have on hand and shipping was over $20 to NY by UPS ouch!!

rbbruno3

Reaction score
For just the inserts. Didn't have a choice onshipping only choice was pickup or UPS. No big deal ,if I called and talked to Dave I'm sure he would send it cheaper. He has been very good with me on previous orders

Dave 383 3 speed

Reaction score
Thanks for all this info guys... I'm installing mine today and the analogy of the dry wall sleeve is right on.. thanks again.
Anyone know why I can't upload a photo?

Back