• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Help me with engine choices

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
Guys,

I can't figure out what what I want to build for my pro touring challenger. Help me out.

440-512 stroker
383 roller motor
small block stroker
small block turbo
geniii hemi

this car will get an EFI system of some sort more than likely. I am leaning towards the Holley Sniper EFI.

I want to run a TKO 5 or 6 speed with it. Its not going to be an all out drag car so I may want to be a little more conservative than the 512 stroker, Then again it may have perfect street manners I am not sure. I would like to run high RPM for long periods in case I get into road courses. that's what made me think of the small block cars.

I currently have a 360 that is cammed I could try and build up a little more.
I also have a mild 383 with a fresh build I could do a little more work to
or a Have a 440 motorhome motor I could start with.

Any help is appreciated.

all original

Reaction score
If you want to run high rpm's for long periods I would run a small block. Building a 400 could be a choice since it has the same crank as a 383, so basically you are building a large version of a 383 especially if you bore the 400 out .030 over. They can make some pretty good power without spending a lot of money. In the end its how much money you want to spend. (my opinion)

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
10K is a little steep for used parts IMO and those 6.4 only make like 4XX HP without some mods. I could build a stroker withthe same 6spd and have more HP I would think for less $$$$

Edit (However I bet it would like the consistent High RPM's)

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
please read this with a smile and a little humor....

Wow... You listed almost every engine except a 6 and Gen 2 Hemi. There is so much more to choosing the right engine ...its about the whole package ( as you already know )
So many choices, its making my head hurt. In reality you can do it with any of the listed engines. They all have there advantages and disadvantages, you just have to decide what you like the best.

For what you seem to be looking for it will take a whole package ( chassis and suspension ) but you only asked about the engine...

I like what your after , it sounds a lot like what I am after.
I went with the Big Block stroker (440 to 493) because.... I am a BIG BLOCK Guy... I love the power and the sound, there is nothing like it.

As far as street manners you cant beat it, It really depends on the cam you choose and, the bigger the engine the bigger cam you can run and, still have good drivability and as you said street manners. Also with fuel injection (also on my list) it will help it be even more street friendly.

As far as driving on a road course...why do you need to run high RPM for a long period? Run moderate RPM, a Big Block at running between 3500 and 4000 RPM will deliver as much power as a high RPM engine and, live longer and, not have to be radical.

Also in another of your threads you asked about 5 and 6 speed trans, and when you priced it new ...it was a lot more than you thought... that $10,000 in used parts listed here is not sounding so high now, is it?

You can get close to what you want but, as said by moparleo... no one car can do it all... at least not at a price most of us can afford.

just my 2 cents

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
I realize I listed about everything. I guess I am asking for people who may have had multiple or all of these opinions. I have only had experience with a mild 383 so asking for what others recommend and why. I do appreciate your post I should have clarified more up front.
please read this with a smile and a little humor....

Wow... You listed almost every engine except a 6 and Gen 2 Hemi. There is so much more to choosing the right engine ...its about the whole package ( as you already know )
So many choices, its making my head hurt. In reality you can do it with any of the listed engines. They all have there advantages and disadvantages, you just have to decide what you like the best.

For what you seem to be looking for it will take a whole package ( chassis and suspension ) but you only asked about the engine...

I like what your after , it sounds a lot like what I am after.
I went with the Big Block stroker (440 to 493) because.... I am a BIG BLOCK Guy... I love the power and the sound, there is nothing like it.

As far as street manners you cant beat it, It really depends on the cam you choose and, the bigger the engine the bigger cam you can run and, still have good drivability and as you said street manners. Also with fuel injection (also on my list) it will help it be even more street friendly.

As far as driving on a road course...why do you need to run high RPM for a long period? Run moderate RPM, a Big Block at running between 3500 and 4000 RPM will deliver as much power as a high RPM engine and, live longer and, not have to be radical.

Also in another of your threads you asked about 5 and 6 speed trans, and when you priced it new ...it was a lot more than you thought... that $10,000 in used parts listed here is not sounding so high now, is it?

You can get close to what you want but, as said by moparleo... no one car can do it all... at least not at a price most of us can afford.

just my 2 cents

pentastarnut

Reaction score
if you plan to do any road course action build a small block stroker ( 408 ) , why ? if you want it to handle look at the aar's and ta's

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
if you plan to do any road course action build a small block stroker ( 408 ) , why ? if you want it to handle look at the aar's and ta's

I think this is the direction I have decided to go. I have a 360 that is mildly built I may drop in it for now and stroke it later.

Dubs Chops

Reaction score
I was planning on the Holley SNIPER EFI kit for my build.

TC_Cuda

Reaction score
You know I'm a Big Block guy but, a 408 sounds like a great choice for what you want, and, you have a block already.

Have you decided what transmission you want to run?

Back