• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

How Much Does this Hurt?

340challconvert

Reaction score
Very Painful
AAR Cuda in distress and in a cool color.

17757128_1747989248865005_7825650858003488740_n.jpg

Dino2 (1).gif

17757341_1747989262198337_3816075100058000990_n.jpg

17883636_1747989258865004_395685204179428756_n.jpg

AUSTA

Reaction score
This was originally posted on graveyard cars back at the end of 2014

AUSTA

Reaction score
This was originally posted on graveyard cars back at the end of 2014
Not sure it was on another site saying he seen it on Graveyard carz dont do facebook so i cant look it up.

EV2RTSE

Reaction score
I don't know if someone has finally saved the car or not, but I first came across it back around 1989 or 1990. I had just gotten my first car, a '73 Challenger, and was working on it when my brother mentions to me, "I know where there's a Cuda sitting, I think it's an AAR". So we took a ride over to look at it, and sure enough, it was. Parked along next to it was a 67 or 68 fastback 383 formula S also. We knocked on the door, no answer. Two houses down from that was a blue 74 318 Cuda, so we knocked on the door there too. That one we could have gotten for FREE if we dragged it out of the yard. But someone had already taken the rear out of it so we didn’t want it (how times have changed, LOL). The blue 74 eventually ended up in the local junkyard and got crushed. Every once in a while I would drive by the AAR, and stop and knock on the door, left a note on the car, etc. No luck. I jotted down the VIN# (but missed a digit or it was partially blocked, I forget which). I found the name of the owner from the landlord of the property who was outside one day, the family was renting the house. One time somebody even came to the door and then closed it in our face without saying a word. Not having any luck I eventually mentioned the car to Jimmy at Jack's Auto Parts, figuring maybe somebody would have better luck getting the car.

Then one day there was a fire at the house, and not long after that the cars were suddenly gone. This would have been some time in the mid 90’s I guess. Fast forward to 2002, and the car appears on the cover of Mopar Collectors Guide, apparently in a new location - still in NJ, still in the same county apparently. I couldn't believe it. Someone had written in to MCG about finding the car. Apparently the AAR was left to rot outside but the Formula S was lucky enough to make it into a garage.

At some point after that I sent a pic to MapleLeafMopars - Cars in Barns and it made it on the website-
Cars in Barns 218

Fast forward again to 2014 or whenever those pics hit facebook, I was shocked the car still hadn't been saved. I dug up my notes on the car, and with the owner’s name and google I quickly found where the new location is. I even saw the car on google earth. I drove by the new location and of course there are NO TRESPASSING signs. So I haven’t stepped foot on the property or made any further attempts at trying to buy the car. The property was owned by two brothers, one of whom has passed away in recent years, I don’t know if maybe the cars were his and the surviving brother has no interest, or ???

We’ve talked about the car on moparts once or twice over the years, and there are a few other NJ guys who know of the car as well. I also talked to Barry and Jeff (the T/A and AAR registry guys) and they all tell the same story about how the owner is a recluse and no one has had any luck with buying it. Time hasn’t been kind to it apparently.

aar1a.JPG

aar.jpg

rusty quarter.jpg

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
I don't know if someone has finally saved the car or not, but I first came across it back around 1989 or 1990. I had just gotten my first car, a '73 Challenger, and was working on it when my brother mentions to me, "I know where there's a Cuda sitting, I think it's an AAR". So we took a ride over to look at it, and sure enough, it was. Parked along next to it was a 67 or 68 fastback 383 formula S also. We knocked on the door, no answer. Two houses down from that was a blue 74 318 Cuda, so we knocked on the door there too. That one we could have gotten for FREE if we dragged it out of the yard. But someone had already taken the rear out of it so we didn’t want it (how times have changed, LOL). The blue 74 eventually ended up in the local junkyard and got crushed. Every once in a while I would drive by the AAR, and stop and knock on the door, left a note on the car, etc. No luck. I jotted down the VIN# (but missed a digit or it was partially blocked, I forget which). I found the name of the owner from the landlord of the property who was outside one day, the family was renting the house. One time somebody even came to the door and then closed it in our face without saying a word. Not having any luck I eventually mentioned the car to Jimmy at Jack's Auto Parts, figuring maybe somebody would have better luck getting the car.

Then one day there was a fire at the house, and not long after that the cars were suddenly gone. This would have been some time in the mid 90’s I guess. Fast forward to 2002, and the car appears on the cover of Mopar Collectors Guide, apparently in a new location - still in NJ, still in the same county apparently. I couldn't believe it. Someone had written in to MCG about finding the car. Apparently the AAR was left to rot outside but the Formula S was lucky enough to make it into a garage.

At some point after that I sent a pic to MapleLeafMopars - Cars in Barns and it made it on the website-
Cars in Barns 218

Fast forward again to 2014 or whenever those pics hit facebook, I was shocked the car still hadn't been saved. I dug up my notes on the car, and with the owner’s name and google I quickly found where the new location is. I even saw the car on google earth. I drove by the new location and of course there are NO TRESPASSING signs. So I haven’t stepped foot on the property or made any further attempts at trying to buy the car. The property was owned by two brothers, one of whom has passed away in recent years, I don’t know if maybe the cars were his and the surviving brother has no interest, or ???

We’ve talked about the car on moparts once or twice over the years, and there are a few other NJ guys who know of the car as well. I also talked to Barry and Jeff (the T/A and AAR registry guys) and they all tell the same story about how the owner is a recluse and no one has had any luck with buying it. Time hasn’t been kind to it apparently.

View attachment 36475

View attachment 36476

View attachment 36477

What a cool, but sad story. It didn't look too bad in the first picture.
Thanks for sharing the information!
Dino2 (1).gif

1969VADart

Reaction score

Cars in Barns 218

View attachment 36475

View attachment 36476

View attachment 36477

That is almost too sad to read. I have had the same experience with a guy with an all original 69 Road Runner. After he let it sit under the trees in his yard with the windows rolled down for 10+ years, he finally put a tarp and cinder block on the roof two years ago. Now it will almost certainly rot. And a guy around the corner from him has an all original 69 Mustang 428 sitting in his front yard with saplings growing through the floor pans.

Avalanche

Reaction score
I always wonder why someone would let a car rot rather than just sell it and get some cash in hand or at least have the satisfaction that it will be saved.
Sad story, and there's plenty of them

Back