• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Original bolts for lower ball joint to spindle?

340challconvert

Reaction score
On my 70 A66 Challenger w factory disc brakes:

Lower ball joint left side had bolt with pressure style nut
Right side had the bolt with castle nuts and cotter pin.

Makes me think that the ball joint on driver's side was replaced sometime in the car's life.
I have new sets of both styles (pressure nut vs castle nut) and will change both sides to new.

I would prefer to use original style castle nuts with the cotter pin. Any thoughts on this?
Dino2 (1).gif

217-1.jpg

¢MOPAR¢-Disc-Brake-Knuckle-Ball-Joint-BOLTS-New.jpg

Adam

Reaction score
I agree the castle nut was the original style, and since that is your preference I would go with them.. Here is a pic I took at the Vegas Mopars at the Strip (not my car).

Vegas Mopar 445.JPG

brian6pac

Reaction score
Definally use the castle nuts, I don't agree with Ehrenberg most of the time, I know he wrote a lot of articles but his problem solvers get on my nerves because a lot of them are just plain nuts and bolts anyone can buy at the hardware store and not really a problem solved! Right Rick.

Steve340

Reaction score
Use the cotter pin style at least you know they will not come loose while you are driving.
A hardened automotive washer under the nut if you can will help retain the torque.
Those bolts in the EBAY ? photo are high tensile fine thread but it looks like he is relying on Locktite to stop them coming loose.
I would use them but only if long enough to accommodate a flat and spring washer.

Back