• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

VIN sticker on door

dancingsteven

Reaction score
I need to try to get the VIN sticker off of my Dodge Challenger without tearing it to pieces! Does anyone know how to do it? Like is there a soap or solution that will loosen it up! I saw it done in the original Gone in 60 seconds but then again that was just a show!!

seneca

Reaction score
About 25 years ago I removed mine with the above mentioned hair dryer. I heated it and VERY gently peeled it off. Worked well; however that was two and a half decades ago and I'm sure yours is a little more brittle. Good luck.

Adam

Reaction score
They are designed to destruct if removed. I got mine from ECS; excellent product! They also made a mini door vin on a key chain for me.

FY170T

Reaction score
They are designed to destruct if removed. I got mine from ECS; excellent product! They also made a mini door vin on a key chain for me.
I didn't get the key chain but they did a great job on my door sticker

quapman

Reaction score
The plastic part of the decal will likely remain, but the numbers and silver/black background will probably stay on the car. As already stated, a repro is the best bet.

The other option is to carefully mask it and leave it alone when you paint.

js29

Reaction score
If you are using base coat clear coat You could pull the tape off after the base is applied and clear over everything. I would and have sprayed adhesion promoter over the decal before the clear.

lastcuda

Reaction score
This conversation was very timely for me. Mine is at the painters now and I hadn't really thought about that door decal. I guess he would have known but better safe than sorry. I'd rather have the original still on there even if it is aged. As I've said before, this is my first experience with a restoration, and I've learned a lot from this forum. I remember someone telling me a long time ago "Everything you don't know will cost you money". Thanks to all you guys.

Back