• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

One More Brake/Spindle Question

1bolt@atime

Reaction score
San Jose, CA (previously known as prune-ville)
I have a 1970 challenger I am slowly restoring. ( 360 & automatic )
I have put in a firm-feel stage 3 steering box with new coupler.
I have new 1.03 torsion bars
I have new tubular upper control arms from PST.
I am rebuilding the lower control arms and welding on the stiffing plates.
New Ball joints, tie rod ends and bushings.
Since everything is out, I might as well address the spindles while I am here.
Should I upgrade to the bigger 74 spindles?
I am wanting to upgrade to the 11 3/4" rotors.
If so, The Ram Man says pin type calipers are better than the sliding calipers?
Is it worth it to get the 2" drop spindles - or just drop it with the torsion bars.
I don't mind spending the money ( as I said above - its happening slowly ) I just want to do this one and done with quality parts.
I am enjoying this every day - even the research is fun.
Thought I would enlist the FULL power of the e bodies only brain trust.;)
Thanks for any of your thoughts on this.

Also, THANK YOU FOR THIS FORUM !

moparleo

Reaction score
The RAM Man is wrong. The reason that they went to sliders was to prevent calipers sticking. Go with the 73 up spindles. Bigger, better inner bearings and lower cost rotors. The best deal is to get the complete conversion kits. All parts new and matching. The drop spindles will allow lower front stance without sacrificing torsion bar tension and suspension travel. Upgrade to s/s brake lines when you do it.

rklein71

Reaction score
Tension on your torsion bars is unaffected by your spindles or the ride height. It is a matter of physics, you have the same weight on the "straight spring" torsion bar regardless of the height or spindle.

PS = I am doing almost the exact mods on my 71 as you are doing. I have 73 b-body tall knuckle spindles but am waiting until I have the car assembled to see how the ride height is before I decide if I need drop spindles.

1bolt@atime

Reaction score
San Jose, CA (previously known as prune-ville)
That's my concern, there is so many differing opinions. I don't want to dismantle the front end after I have just rebuilt it. I don't want to sub out the spindles for 2" drop spindles after I have assembled it all. I am leaning toward just spending the money for the drop spindles and having the adjustment on the ride height with the torsion bars. Moparleo I am more inclined to believe you since you don't have any skin in the game versus RamMan and all the others who are selling aftermarket brake parts. I like the idea of using Ma mopar's original style rotors, calipers and bearings for the 73 spindles.

Thank you both for your input

moparleo

Reaction score
Retired after 35+ years in the automotive repair industry. 3rd generation Mopar Man. Seen and done most everything in the automotive sector. Don't believe anything you hear and half of what you see. E-bodies my specialty for 40 years.

PST

Reaction score
If you want to drop the front of your vehicle more than an 1" I would not do it with the torsion bars as you will be sacrificing ride quality and the range of travel of the suspension. You will be almost on the bump stops. I recommend to all of our customer if they want to drop 2" do it with spindles as it is the proper way without sacrificing ride quality and suspension travel.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing
1-800-247-2288
Don't Forget the Mopar Forum Discount on Your Next Order.

tlt23

Reaction score
I'm all over this thread. I'll be doing the same on my son's 72 when my daughters charger is finished. So you are saying the 73 has bigger spindles, how about the FF drop spindles are they the stock 70-71 size or bigger 73 size? Is it required to upgrade the rotor size and caliper or can that be an add on later?

fk5aar

Reaction score
Yes I'm interested too here's my 70rt broke down and currently trying figure out a rebuild kit to buy. Does PST/James offer the full rebuild kit for this car? I wanted to keep the original brakes but I am going to be running the 17inch year ones I already have so I have plenty of room under to upgrade disc brake size. It's a 383 front the factory but I would also think if I ever put in a monster motor in the future the factory single piston brakes just wouldn't be good enough. Let me know what disc brake setups you would recommend James at PST thanks.

fk5aar

Reaction score
Sorry forgot to include pics

IMG_0884.JPG

moparleo

Reaction score
The only difference between the 73 and up spindles compared tom the 72 and down spindles is the 73 up uses a larger inner wheel bearing. This the bearing that supports most of the load of the front end. The outer bearing is the same for all years as it does not have nearly the load to carry than the inner bearing. The rotors are also different on the 73 up. Beside using the larger inner bearing, the rotor is of a one piece design which is more economical to manufacture and are therefore less expensive to purchase and are stronger than the earlier 2 piece rotor/hub assembly.

Back