• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

340 Leaking Coolant from Valve Cover screw/hole?

Adam213

Reaction score
Bought my wife her favorite MOPAR growing up, 72 Cuda with a 340 engine. Starting to evaluate the overall condition of the vehicle and have found that the driver's side outside center bolt for the valve cover into the head is leaking coolant. Went to pull the bolt and before I even got it completely out coolant was freely flowing...

Can anyone help with some information on WTH is going on? Know about the header bolts and the coolant jacket, but at the valve cover?

TIA!

IMG_8334.JPG

moparlee

Reaction score
Yep, had one leak on a 440 head one time. Apparently there was a casting flaw in the bottom of the tapped hole. Fixed it with a stud and thread sealant.

aussiemark

Reaction score
That is so strange never seen anything like it moparlee's solution sounds good remove the bolt and screw a stud with sealant or thread tape on the thread to seal the leak (like the outer exhaust manifold studs) then put a washer and nut to hold the valve cover then you can remove the cover without getting coolant everywhere.

Adam213

Reaction score
Definitely concerning, now I am more inclined to completely tear it all down to the block and re-inspect as I put it all back together. In any case, going to switch all back to studs and nuts. Thanks for the help.

Steve340

Reaction score
If the engine otherwise is good try and seal the leak like Moparlee suggests. What have you got to loose.
Tearing a good engine down for one small problem does not make a lot of sense.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Typically it is the power ateeeing hold down bolt (top one) that leaks from the casting flaw. I'd simply run a fresh tap down it and screw in a short plug with teflon tape on it to "fix" the issue.

Back