• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Challenger/Barracuda Radiator

money pit

Reaction score
Is the radiator for a Challenger the same as a radiator for a Barracuda? I have a relatively new radiator that I bought for my 73 Challenger (360 engine). I sold the car but have a 70 Barracuda. I tried to bolt the radiator in the Barracuda but none of the holes line up. None of the brackets seem to land on a flat surface. I tries longer bolts and spacers but that didn't seem to work. Do I need to replace the radiator support? The Barracuda had a slant six. Any suggestions? Thanks

challenger6pak

Reaction score
You will need to change the one support side to fit your radiator in the 6 cyl. car.

340challconvert

Reaction score
It would be easier to just buy a slant six radiator instead of changing the radiator frame. You could sell the 360 radiator and get a 6cyl radiator probably cheaper. Just a thought!
Should by plenty of slant six radiators out there.

money pit

Reaction score
Do they have an extra capacity radiator for the slant. I have AC. Thanks

Coupe

Reaction score
Slant six radiator is not sufficient for anything more than non AC stock 318 in mild climate. Been there, done that.

340challconvert

Reaction score
Not to belabor the point:
B and E body cars used the same (size) radiators in 1970 and 1971
Factory air conditioned cars did have a higher capacity radiator from the factory for slant six engines
B and E bodies had two different physically sized radiators;
19", #2998936 for the base 198 and 225 ci motors
22", #2998937, slight up-grade used on AC cars in both manual and automatic transmissions.
Not sure what you might have currently?

That being said, I would think that your car, if it came w factory air should have the 937 radiator if it is the original.
Another suggestion could be to take your 6 cyl radiator and have it re-cored with extra cores to enlarge it's cooling capacity. This is a common modification on many cars. My one thought was that it would be easier to have a radiator modified rather then going through a lot of extra work to weld in a new rad frame.
Of course if you are looking to install a V-8 engine later on, it would be worth going thought the effort and expense of welding in a new frame.

Another option would be to score a 22"A body radiator from say a 73-74 slant six cars with AC
3673005 was a 73 A body radiator w AC- 22" unit.
The cooling capacities were increased in those later years due to the engines running hotter because of the increased emission controls.

It would your decision based on your needs, just wanted to give you a larger picture.
Just thought it is easier to modify or change a radiator, than to weld in a new frame. (If your welding skills are better then mine- go for it) That's just me.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:

money pit

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response. Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I will take your advise and get a rad for a slate six with additional cores. Thanks again.

Back