• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

My 3 speaker dash project...

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
I have a 1970 Challenger convertible with a B5 blue interior. My car has a cracked dash covered by a cheap plastic dash cover.

I purchased an original 3 speaker dash in black. It is black no longer...

IMG_0291.JPG
IMG_0293.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG

RJHJR

Reaction score
Really nice! I have a similar car with the same issue. What did you use and what was your process please?

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
For color, I went to my local automotive paint shop and asked for a vinyl paint in 1970 Mopar B5 Blue. They mixed a quart for me of Dupont Vinyl Color. The color number, I believe is 4982J (but I'm not sure if that is the base or what they mixed). The color name on the label: Chrysler B5 Bright Blue.

I have a friend with a paint gun and air supply setup and he shot the parts.

The paint was rather expensive (>$200 per quart).

As for installation, I plan to remove the whole dash and install the pad off the car. I'll clean and paint other parts as necessary.

For the radio, I bought a C-body AM/FM stereo from the same era. I plan to use the AM/FM internals in my E-body AM box. The clear plastic dial face (with AM/FM switch and numbering) can be swapped to the AM face plate. My c body radio came with wiring harness, fader switch, and crossover box. It won't be factory (no thumbwheels and the AM/FM switch is a different size, but it will be very close to 1971 AM/FM stereo unit.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Finally got around to pulling my dash for the replacement. Removal was more of a PITA than I originally thought. I did not remove the harness from the car (see photos), so I had to partially disassemble in place to disconnect various electrical connectors.

Dash less interior:
IMG_0736.JPG

Parts bench:
IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0742.JPG

IMG_0745.JPG

E body stereo serviced by Wards:
IMG_0749.JPG

Radio test station:
IMG_0750.JPG

Last edited:

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Continuing my dash project, I decided to tackle my non working rally cluster clock. Since I've played with auto clocks before, I did not hesitate doing this repair myself.

I assumed the clock needed cleaning and lubrication as this is the typical reason they fail to work. After removing the clock from the gauge cluster, I found that the back can be removed by bending 4 tabs and exposing the clock movement (still attached to the face).

I cleaned the movement by spraying CRC electric circuit cleaner (evaporates fast). Without lubrication, the clock would not run for more than a minute. I tested the rewind solenoid and found that to work fine. I sanded the contacts of the rewind mechanism to ensure a good solenoid circuit.

On closer examination, I noticed that the wheel that is pulled by the winding spring did not sit parallel to all other gears. I could straighten it with finger pressure. It turns out that the hole supporting the back (towards back of clock) pivot pin of that wheel had worn and elongated due to the spring tension.

To fix this issue, I needed to further disassemble the movement. I just needed to remove the solenoid portion to expose the plate with the elongated hole. This required carefully pinching the ends of the three posts that support the movement and sliding the solenoid component off. I founded the smallest steel washer I could find, leveled the rewind gear and crazy glued the washer to the plate covering the elongated portion of the pin's hole. You can see the washer in the photos below.

With the bearing plate now exposed, I could lubricate all the gear bearings and I used a toothpick to reach gear pins that were not exposed. I used clock oil for lubrication, but I understand that 0w 40 synthetic motor oil is a good substitute.

I reassembled the solenoid portion of the clock and connected it to a 12V DC supply. It's been working (and keeping good time) for three days.

20180108_185740.jpg
20180108_190014.jpg
20180108_190230.jpg
20180108_185821.jpg
20180108_185857.jpg

20180108_185933.jpg

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Yes, it is 4x10. The original is oval and attaches on the two ends. The repro 4x10 I purchased has an elongated hexagonal frame. It doesn't sit quite flush with the dash frame, but I think it will work, just not as clean as original.

ragtopdodge

Reaction score
Looks great!

You should use the same paint and paint the console, door panels, and radio/HVAC surround pieces too so they all match?

B5 interiors are notorious for having like 6 shades of blue on everything.

HooToTheCore

Reaction score
Looks great!

You should use the same paint and paint the console, door panels, and radio/HVAC surround pieces too so they all match?

B5 interiors are notorious for having like 6 shades of blue on everything.

You're right about that. I cleaned the lower dash hard plastic pieces and they match pretty well. The glove box door, ashtray door and surrounding metal is a shade different, but they are clean and I'll probably leave them as they are.

My door panels, kick panels, rear side panels and seat backs will all get the matching paint. I've already done the windshield trim.

Adam

Reaction score
Nice work!

I also had a 70 B5 Blue interior with a new dash; the top of the dash should be painted with a flat clear. Mine was not and the reflection was blinding!

Back