• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Oil Pan for 340

Zippy

Reaction score
Need a replacement oil pan for my 73 340 Cuda. All of the oil pans listed for small blocks, 273-340, are for years 1960 - 1972. Didn't know there was a difference between 72 and 73. Any ideas??? Thanks.

cudabob496

Reaction score
I"d get an aftermarket Milodon, with extra capacity, and
better design features.

the wall

Reaction score
i didnt know there was a difference between 72-73 but 360 pan is larger in the rear main area and the only change in that area of fitment that i now of

aussiemark

Reaction score
Maybe the difference is the latter 340's have a cast crank did they still have the windage tray? maybe they made the sump smaller because the tray was no longer bolted to the main caps. I would say you could still use the early model sump on the 1972 engine the block. timing cover, rear main cap and K frame are the same so no reason it wouldn't fit. Are the aftermarket ones all the same?

Zippy

Reaction score
My 340 still has the lineage Gray bolted to the caps. I went ahead and bought the pan listed for a '72 and it fit just fine. Not sure why they don't list them as such. Thanks for the ideas.

Back