• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

A66 Challenger

sub340

Reaction score
thank you.....pics on way...got this girl up in eagleriver Alaska....many years ago...also was a 70 droptop cuda 383...and a 69 charger 440.that i could have bought....lol...one of those ...woulda...couda..shoulda moments...lol...live and learn....hope to learn a lot from this site.......thanks

340challconvert

Reaction score
Found my copy of the Paul Goldsmith early 1970- 340 Challenger test: flat hood, V-8 emblems. Prior to formal release of the A66 package;

Challenger pg 1.jpg

Challenger pg2.jpg

Challenger pg3.jpg

sub340

Reaction score
I am just curious and know one of you will have the answer.
I see some pics of 1970 A66 Challengers and some of them have a V8 badge on the front fender below Challenger badge and some do not.
What is standard?
I also assume the Rally dash was an option only not standard?
i think the ralley dash was an option...mine had rt on the front fenders......wish i knew more....i worked with a guy that worked in the rouge ? plants at ford in the mid senenties....they built mustang2s there.......anyhow....he said the plant ran 24\7 and was miles long....thousands of people worked there...and the party was on!!!!!!!prostitutes in the parking lots of the new cars...thousands of cars...hard to imagine...any drug or alcohol you wanted any time.........needless to say i bet they were not very consistent...at what they did....the way they came from the factory is just that....that's me theory.....Does anyone know of any ebodies with ROCK..written in the inner quarter panel fender well.....ive read about a few ....it looks like he signed a bunch of nice metal..6pacs....droptops....ect....mine was done in chalk..!!!wow...some more imfo would be great....like to have known him!!!thanks for your feedback

Last edited:

340challconvert

Reaction score
The rallye dash was optional on the A66 Challengers and standard on the JS RT models.
"Rock: scribbled on the inner quarters was found on a number of cars and some pictures have been posted here on FEBO by some owners.
I was lucky in that the original owner of my A66 vert ordered the rallye dash.
Oddly, I have "Al" scribbled on my inside quarter. Who knows?
But I bet there was a certain amount of "altered minds" assembling the cars back then.

Dino2 (1).gif

Al closeup.JPG

sub340

Reaction score
The rallye dash was optional on the A66 Challengers and standard on the JS RT models.
"Rock: scribbled on the inner quarters was found on a number of cars and some pictures have been posted here on FEBO by some owners.
But I bet there was a certain amount of "altered minds" assembling the cars back then.

View attachment 47753

View attachment 47752
hey thanks for the imfo..there is so much to know about these cars...got to love it

View attachment 47753

View attachment 47752

sub340

Reaction score
Welcome to the site from the Motor City!
Mine was the opposite, the paint where the emblem was was shiny like new.
hey dematt1...now that i read my post it seems that's the way mine was ...lol...shiny sublime under the badge..thanks for pointing that out......never been to the motor city...i hear its great....like to get out there sometime.....talk to you soon...enjoy

DetMatt1

Reaction score
hey dematt1...now that i read my post it seems that's the way mine was ...lol...shiny sublime under the badge..thanks for pointing that out......never been to the motor city...i hear its great....like to get out there sometime.....talk to you soon...enjoy
Where are you from?

sub340

Reaction score
inland pacific northwest.....near Spokane wa its snowing at the moment

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Mine is a A66 340 Challenger originally. No evidence of any V8 badges or 340 badges on the R/T scooped hood though. However, it has all been changed around now over the years.

340challconvert

Reaction score
6PKRTSE, Out of curiosity, what is the SPD of your A66 Challenger?
Very early 340 cars (August-early September); some came w flat hoods and V-8 emblems. Then the A66 package came out in late September 69 with the scooped RT hood, with 340 decals-no emblem holes made (340 emblems were not ready yet). Then in late October, the 340-4 barrel metal call outs were released and automatically installed on the scooped hood.
Your SPD would give you an idea of what your car should/could have had originally.
Dino2 (1).gif

Mine is a A66 340 Challenger originally. No evidence of any V8 badges or 340 badges on the R/T scooped hood though. However, it has all been changed around now over the years.

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
Don't know? I never looked or cared. I am not a numbers guy. Which is why it now has a 528" Hemi. I know the numbers, just never bothered. I will look next time I am out in the garage.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Don't know? I never looked or cared. I am not a numbers guy. Which is why it now has a 528" Hemi. I know the numbers, just never bothered. I will look next time I am out in the garage.
I don’t suppose you need the 340 hood decals then...:rolleyes:

6PKRTSE

Reaction score
I did just pick this up today. 340 short block. Mmm, should I put one back in the Challenger? It might give me a need for some decals. Lol.

2018031495200315.jpg

quapman

Reaction score
Na, he doesn't need it, but I know where there's s nice 70 cuda just itching to get a 340 back in it. :D

340challconvert

Reaction score
Always loved the 340 for that very reason. They can produce good power and allow the car to handle the corners much better. Owned big blocks and loved them too, but I like the balance a small block provides!
Just my thoughts!
Dino2 (1).gif

Last edited:
Back