• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

Starting issue

Cuda Scott

Reaction score
I've got a starting issue. 72 Cuda, 340. New Edelbrock 600cfm carb and Preformer manifold. New fuel lines, filter.
Starts perfect when cold. If I drive it and shut it off for more than 5 minutes it's hard to start. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Scott

Reaction score
A bit more info would help. It cranks ok just doesn't start right up, cranks 20-30 seconds then fires up?
Could be a boiling fuel issue in the carb, or possibly vapour lock. Did it work ok before the manifold and carb change? What temperature does the engine run at? Any chance the fuel lines are to close to your exhaust system? The more info we get the easier it will be to help solve your problem

Cuda Scott

Reaction score
It cranks fine but just doesn't start like it does when cold. I didn't drive the car enough when I bought it due to previous carb and manifold leaks. So I installed new during the winter.
The fuel line is no where near the headers. Almost seems like the fuel line completely drains when I shut it off warm.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Do you have a phenolic spacer in between the carb and intake? How much ethanol in the fuel you use? Are the floats set properly in the carb?

Cuda Scott

Reaction score
No spacer due to manifold being too high to clear the hood. Using 92 octane fuel. The carb is new and haven't messed with any adjustments.

DetMatt1

Reaction score
Bummer on the spacer, if heat is your problem it would surely help.
Ethanol not octane. Ethanol lowers the boiling point of fuel among other nasty things. Read what the literature that came with your carb says about it.
Lastly it wouldn’t hurt to check the float level.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Heat is often the issue , - Home this will help & fit .
I have yet to see an eddy carb adjusted properly out of the box , at least confirm the float settings .
I assume you have a 1406 , check your plugs , I bet they are lean

Coupe

Reaction score
Similar problem here, my solution......
Make sure the choke is working and adjusted properly.
Carbs out of the box are not right for all vehicles.

Adam

Reaction score
Coupe is right, check to make sure the choke opens when warm.

I would try a warm start with two pumps of the pedal, and another with out any gas at all. Two shots of the accelerator pump should be enough to start it; a warm engine will quickly evaporate any gas in the manifold. If it doesn’t start, look down the carb and work the linkage to confirm that your accelerator pump is squirting gas into the throat. If the accelerator pump works properly and you get no start try it another time without any gas; this will tell you if you are getting too much or too little fuel.

Also as things warm up, electrical resistance goes up, so check the voltage to the coil, in the run position, when engine is hot.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
Looks like the link I posted did not post
Look for Coolcarb on the internet , it is a very thin spacer / heat deflector , roughly 1/8" thick , this will drop the heat dramatically .
ANy Carb requires tuning out of the box , setting float level is a must as it is never right after being shipped , with edelbrock the float setting is 7/16 IIRC they respond better set at 3/8 or 13/32

Back