• Welcome to For E Bodies Only !

We are a community of Plymouth Cuda and Dodge Challenger owners. Join now! Its Free!

360 or 340? Need some advice

draginmopars

Reaction score
That's an awesome machine I have never seen headers installed like that.
I use the "More door" for a mobile dyno.
design makes the headers easier to remove in less than 15 minutes, to swap engines

069_zpsyctaiyf2.jpg

links

Reaction score
You right my fault. To be honest I’m pretty knew and still learning about all this engine stuff lol. But basically my friend is selling me his 340 for $1600 and he showed it to me looks in great condition. But I was assmuning it can still be upgraded.

Before all I kept thinking of was 440’s and Hemi’s. But I realized a small block with ower is all I need.
If you don't buy it please let me know. I'm looking for one for my 70 Duster. Thanks

cudamark

Reaction score
At the moment my 70 Challenger has a 360 in it. A friend of mine offered to sell me his 340 engine in excellent condition. Pretty much ready to swap out my 360 drop the 340 engine and go!!

My question is should I keep my 360 engine and max it out to its full potential? Or just get the 340 engine and max that out to its full potential?

All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance everyone.

Keep in mind that the swap will require the proper oil pan and torque converter/flywheel. The converter/flywheel won't interchange between the two engines unless the 360 has been internally balanced. The pan won't swap at all....end seal size is different.

70Barracuda

Reaction score
Seen a lot of guys build an engine that made big power but could not put it down or broke a lot of stuff. The more you go the more you need to upgrade. Converter, tranny, rear end, fuel system. 340's are great, assuming it is a runner, put it in and enjoy it as is. Are you ready for the power it has? I wonder

Jim k

Reaction score
I like my 340 in my Cuda. It’s a 73. All I was told when I bought it was it had a bigger cam in it. Haven’t verified rear gear yet. I raced a newish(not sure what year ) charger r/t last summer. He was just ever so slightly faster. Had me by 2 feet. I was impressed my 45 year old car held its own. Getting the 727 trans rebuilt with new converter this year. Plan to upgrade the engine maybe next year.

aussiemark

Reaction score
If it was close that means it wouldn't take much to get that Cuda in front Jim maybe some very small adjustments. 340's are a very under rated engine Chrysler knew the potential think about why they put the six pack set up on the AAR's an T/A's they knew they couldn't use it for that class of racing or even a 340 it had to be under 305 with a single 4 barrel carb. They wanted to let the beast off the leash and give it maximum induction so car guy's could add a few more pieces and build the best small block giant killer.

Last edited:

Jim k

Reaction score
If it was close that means it wouldn't take much to get that Cuda in front Jim maybe some very small adjustments. 340's are a very under rated engine Chrysler knew the potential think about why they put the six pack set up on the AAR's an T/A's they knew they couldn't use it for that class of racing or even a 340 it had to be under 305 with a single 4 barrel carb. They wanted to let the beast off the leash and give it maximum induction so car guy's could add a few more pieces and build the best small block giant killer.
It runs good now. I can’t wait to rebuild it and get the horsepower up. Just too much else I have to spend money on now to get it done . Just some fresh gaskets and a coat of paint for now . I’d like to get 400 hp out of down the road.

Cudafor36

Reaction score
Stick with the 340 especially if it has J stamped heads and if it's a early year one say 69 like mine is. Look at my posts I have a very strong one that's been nothing but fun until I plunged into the gen 3 392 hemi. About done with that.

The 340 won't let you down. 360's are limp unless ya drop a lot of coin on em.

I can help anyone out who wants or is doing the install.

B2G707

Reaction score
Why does your friend want to downgrade what he has ?

Its just an extra engine. He had tons of Mopars before from Challengers. Road Runners to Chargers. The 340 was pulled from another Challenger, at the moment he has a 73 all original Challenger matching # everything.

B2G707

Reaction score
Stick with the 340 especially if it has J stamped heads and if it's a early year one say 69 like mine is. Look at my posts I have a very strong one that's been nothing but fun until I plunged into the gen 3 392 hemi. About done with that.

The 340 won't let you down. 360's are limp unless ya drop a lot of coin on em.

I can help anyone out who wants or is doing the install.

Right on! Thank you for responding. Yea its been a few months and now really thinking about the next move. Which is do the 340 or go fuel injected and get a Gun 3 Hemi. But many people are telling me I will have to change so much if I decide to go the Hemi route which I'm actually willing to.

B2G707

Reaction score
only you can decide....> goal > budget
or budget > goal.

( I mostly am on the "A" body site, but, starting on the Cuda this week)
Someone put a 360 in my Cuda..
I wanted a 340 back in it.
building it for cruising/ meeting @ the drag strip..
after 2 years decided on "Big" small block with overdrive.
pulling out of storage, soon as weather permits..

Eng is built, still sitting in my mobile dyno...lol

View attachment 48280

Very nice!

340challconvert

Reaction score
It is always a matter of budget and what changes your available dollars will support.
I personally like the 340 engines. Nuff said here on this topic!
Dino2 (1).gif

burntorange70

Reaction score
not really much of a deference between a built 360 and a built 340. Except 20 cubes. So maybe there is a slight advantage to the 360.

aussiemark

Reaction score
340 has a .040" larger bore standard so can be bored to 4.100" you can't do this to a 360 unless it has a full set of sleeves fitted or you will hit water and this larger bore allows the engine to breath a lot better.

Chryco Psycho

Reaction score
It depends on your starting point , you pay a lot more up front for a 340 , 360s are virtually free , if you are building a stroker anyway you are paying to replace crank, rods & pistons anyway , you are looking at 412 / 340 or 408/ 360
The other advantage is the later LA blocks are set up for roller cams .
If I was building a small block I would use the 87-92 360 roller block & stroke it to 408 . As far as heads go the 87-92 308 swirl castings will kick ass on the X or J castings .
I fyou really want a killer build swap on some W2 heads !!

burntorange70

Reaction score
Not sure why you would bore a block out to max unless it was needed. For a street motor I would personally rather have a 360 then a 345 but that's just me. Even going full out stroker I just don't see what a few cid is going to do. Other places better spent looking for power then a pinch of cubes imo.

Just depends on so many things I guess. Personal preference being the key one. O and money.

Adam

Reaction score
I like 340s but they are too expensive for what they are... same crank as a 318 (different balance). The slightly larger bore and relatively short stroke is great at high rpms (if your heads are up to it) but who drives like that all the time? Some guys want thousands for a 340 that needs to be rebuilt and has already been bored.. if it is not numbers matching why bother.

A 360 is dirt cheap, has more cubes, and longer stroke for more torque. Very beneficial for a street engine... the short blocks are a good foundation, but of course they need better cam & pistons at a minimum.

I am certain that it would usually be less money to build an internally balanced, stroked 360, than to buy and rebuild a 340. Even if the cost was the same or higher I would prefer the stroker to a rebuilt 340, unless I had one laying around. Just my 2 cents.

Back